New Auto Racks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well folks, I have noticed during my last trip by the Auto Train facility in SFD some of the new auto racks Amtrak ordered are on the premises. Looks as if they are now in the process of being delivered. They sure do look sharp! I hope Amtrak will keep them up a little better than the old ones. No word on whether they are actually in service yet, but I would imagine it won't be long if they aren't. OBS...

Have they been painted yet, or are they like the ones they were testing and unpainted?

Nice to hear that they've arrived and are looking great...hope AT crews are happy with the capacity.

From the pictures that i have seen, they are painted.

As of tonight (6/1) they were using the rustbuckets.

Jon Parker

gswager said:
Is Amtrak going to retire the old car racks or use them as spares?
They are supposed to retire most of them. I would imagine they will keep several for extra capacity if needed, but the most of them are on borrowed time if you ask me. OBS....

The only ones they would probably keep are the Vans since all the new carriers are Vans. But for the most part the cars will probably be cut up, they're just so incredibly old there's not much that can be done with them other than that. I am a little dissapointed that the Auto Train Logo wasn't put on the cars as the original schematics showed.

Back