New Amtrak Guest Rewards Master Card - Fall 2015

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope that the part where $1 in (non-Amtrak, non-travel) charges gives an AGR point is just assumed and that's why it's not listed there...

Companion tickets are good for a coach fare? So for $79/yr, I'd get a free ticket for my (over age 12) kid when we go see their dad at the other end of the Coast Starlight? Can they be used for an open-sleeper sort of ticket, to add someone to one's sleeper accommodation without paying their rail fare?

How do upgrade certificates work?
Upgrade coupons are only good for business class on Regular Trains that have it, and Acela First Class! Not good for Sleepers.
Companion tickets are only good for Coach, not in Sleepers.

The One (1) Lounge Pass is sort of chessy for a $79 annual fee and spending Big Bucks on the Credit Card.

The rest of the benefits don't sound bad! If you travel alot on Amtrak it looks like it will be worth the $79 Annual Fee.

Otherwise, there are lots of Better Cards out there!

Last edited by a moderator:

Link: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/09/11/details-of-the-2-new-amtrak-credit-cards-revealed/

Initial thoughts...

> I have no reason to doubt the veracity of his release based on the source

> Annual fee will hopefully be waived in the future once new signups begin to dry up

> I would happily accept a larger minimum spend if augmented by a larger signup bonus

> I would prefer 4/5 points on direct Amtrak travel spend to counter the devaluation

> Upgrades and passes are not important to me but it should help folks swallow the fee

> I would strongly prefer a 5% discount over a 5% rebate but I doubt that's an accident

> TQP's are probably the biggest news for folks who desire and benefit from status

> I'm surprised foreign network fees are waived for a card that targets domestic travel

> The no fee card seems like a reasonable replacement for low volume travelers

Overall I would say this looks like a reasonable offer from the perspective of the issuer even though it does not go far enough to counter the next wave of devaluations in my view.
Just as an aside, it seems strange that the name of the two cards might be switched? It would seem that the platinum card should be the higher class card with a fee instead of the regular World Master Card. And since Anthony has not officially released any information on Flyertalk, I will wait for his announcement before making further comments.

Link: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/09/11/details-of-the-2-new-amtrak-credit-cards-revealed/

Initial thoughts...

> I have no reason to doubt the veracity of his release based on the source

> Annual fee will hopefully be waived in the future once new signups begin to dry up

> I would happily accept a larger minimum spend if augmented by a larger signup bonus

> I would prefer 4/5 points on direct Amtrak travel spend to counter the devaluation

> Upgrades and passes are not important to me but it should help folks swallow the fee

> I would strongly prefer a 5% discount over a 5% rebate but I doubt that's an accident

> TQP's are probably the biggest news for folks who desire and benefit from status

> I'm surprised foreign network fees are waived for a card that targets domestic travel

> The no fee card seems like a reasonable replacement for low volume travelers

Overall I would say this looks like a reasonable offer from the perspective of the issuer even though it does not go far enough to counter the next wave of devaluations in my view.
Just as an aside, it seems strange that the name of the two cards might be switched? It would seem that the platinum card should be the higher class card with a fee instead of the regular World Master Card. And since Anthony has not officially released any information on Flyertalk, I will wait for his announcement before making further comments.
Platinum in MasterCard is the step below a World.

Practically speaking, is there really a difference between a MasterCard and a Visa?
Nope, they are competetors after the same business.
I know Master Card claims their Card is accepted World Wide in Many thousands of More places than VISA??????

Also some Merchants have had falling outs with Card Companies, and only take certain Cards. ( Wal-Mart/Costco/Sam's Club etc.)

I have both ( plus Amex back in my heavy Business travel days) and found them to be basically the same.

The toll booths on the Skyway only accepted MC the last time I actually used a credit card there, but they may have changed in the past couple of years. Either way, it was a giant pain, as I only had a Visa at the time and no change. I had to push the call button like a moron and provide my card number over the phone. :angry:

What cards doesn't Wal-Mart take??

Costco has an exclusive agreement with American Express right now (used to be with Discover... and starting next Spring, will be switching to Visa!); I wouldn't say they had a falling-out with anyone. I don't know the history of Sam's Club's credit card agreements, but the internet tells me they take WalMart credit cards, MasterCard, & Discover in store.

Also, it gives people time to reread and discuss before calling and using valuable time with a real person.
Like many major banks, Bank of America has 24/7 customer service.
Perhaps in the Philippines or India. I've called stuff into my bank and yeah it was someone from India. However, I've also heard a South Asian accent and the call center guy swore to me that while he was from India, the call center was in Texas.

However, when I've called into BofA, I did get someone who did seem American, and not simply someone in a foreign country with accent reduction training.

I've worked with many people who've had Indian, Middle Eastern, and various Asian accents, and I felt so awful for them. About 50% of the time, they had to try to convince the person on the other end that the call center was in Michigan, and yes their name really is Amy, and they simply have an accent. I got frustrated and angry just listening to their end of it. They were awesome reps, and it was such a waste of their time and the customers to go through that rigmarole.

Considering that many call centers are in big cities, which are melting pots, it amazes me that people INSIST that anyone with an accent must be located overseas. Many call centers in America are open until midnight or later, so getting a rep with an accent at 11:00 p.m. doesn't necessarily mean they're located in another country.

To my understanding the last time I went, Sams Club only accepts Mastercard in-store as printman2000 mentioned. I think they might accept both at gas stations?

For someone who normally wants nothing to do with Fee Cards, I may just pony up the $79 vig. My only question is what are the 1,000 Qualifying Points for every $5K spent all about-are those straight Points that go into the Kitty?

Now if I can just Amtrak to open a Metroplitan Lounge in Norman and offer Biz Class on the Heartland Flyer :)

Straight points that qualify for status, unlike the normal, non-status conferring, points the card otherwise earns.

Max them out by spending $20k on the card and take a $500 trip and you've made Select.

ClubAcela/Metropolitan pass will probably go to waste since the only time I'll be around one is if I'm going sleeper, but the other benefits might be worth it. Better sign up bonus and companion ticket.

And upgrade certificate will be nice since I do find myself on the corridor at least once or twice a year.

Also digging the no foreign transaction fee.

Wonder if we can get both cards.
No need! If f you're credit is good enough you'll get the World Card with a High Credit Line!
Just curious why you'd want both, I don't think they'd want to give away Double Bonuses? ( although lots of us that already have a Chase Freedom Card are getting another one as a AGR MC Replacement that we can't decline!!!)

Some general observations regarding the "upgraded" card:
(1) The biggest benefits are the 3 points/dollar on Amtrak spend (which gives you 5 points/dollar on Amtrak spend in aggregate), which takes a lot of the edge off of the devaluation (basically, you're getting 25% more points against a roughly 30% devaluation...so the damage is pretty well controlled there). This also makes the "rebate" value 14.5% to 23.2% (assuming you're redeeming for non-Acela trips...which really is the only thing that makes sense) depending on whether you have status and/or book BC/First.

(2) 4000 TQPs/yr (assuming 20k spend) is tantamount to giving away Select status and should help a lot of folks who were slammed by the end of 100-point minimums. That cuts the required spend for each status tier by $2k (so...$500/yr for Select, $3k/yr for Select Plus, and $8k/yr for Select Executive). Basically, if you have the card a random WAS-NYP r/t on the Acela gives you status (it's not quite there unless you're in a high bucket or First, but it's close enough).

(3) The lounge pass is basically pointless and I'm flooded with upgrades at the moment (SE will do that to you if you don't live on the Corridor) but the third Companion Cube Card is of potential use.

From my POV, the $79 card is absolutely worth it. The extra point per dollar on the $7.5-10k/yr I spend on Amtrak alone is worth somewhere from $200-300. I'm considering the upgrade card to be a null benefit, but the companion card...assume that's another $100 or so/year since those do cover round-trips in coach and IIRC you only have to pay the accommodation charge to get into BC. And the TQPs...well, those are priceless insofar as that ought to more or less ensure I make Select Executive for quite some time.

Is there somewhere I can read the terms&conditions for companion coupons?

Is there somewhere I can read the terms&conditions for companion coupons?
Coupon Restrictions:

Coupon valid for one (1) free companion rail fare with the purchase of one (1) regular (full) adult rail fare. Free companion and paying passenger must reserve at the same time and travel together at all times.
Valid for travel as one (1) one-way or one (1) roundtrip on one reservation per coupon. For roundtrip usage, both directions of travel must be reserved at the same time.
Travel blackouts apply: Sep. 4, 2015; Sep. 7, 2015; Oct. 12, 2015; Nov. 24-25, 2015; Nov. 28-29, 2015; Dec. 19-23, 2015; Dec. 26-30, 2015; Jan. 2-3, 2016; Feb. 12, 2016; Feb. 15, 2016; Mar. 24-25, 2016; Mar. 28, 2016; May 27, 2016; May 30, 2016; Jul. 1, 2016; Jul. 4, 2016; Sep. 2, 2016; Sep. 5, 2016; Oct. 10, 2016
Valid for travel on all Amtrak service except train/Thruway series 7000 – 8999.
Free companion offer is not combinable with any discount, coupon, or Amtrak Guest Rewards® redemption travel.
The eCoupon# is unique to your coupon and valid for one use only. Buying or selling this coupon is prohibited and will invalidate the coupon. Coupon may be transferred to a family member or friend.
Offer valid for Coach class travel only. Upgrade to Business class or First class (excluding sleeping car accommodations) is available upon full payment of applicable accommodation charges.
Other restrictions may apply.

Back