New Acela 2190 schedule

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else notice that starting in 2024 the Acela 2190 leaves NY at 5am and arrives in Boston at 9am? It used to leave at 6am and arrive at 10am.
Perhaps this has something to do with the Hell's Gate Bridge repairs?

I used this train frequently. I'm a bit sad because 5 am is too early for me!

Honestly, it might also have the plus of getting folks into Boston by the start of business. Remember, NYP isn't the only market there...Stamford, New Haven, and Providence also come into play.

[I wonder if this isn't a test for something they're thinking about once the new sets are in service...and does one of those bridge projects potentially allow for a few more frequencies on the line to Boston?]

A guess is it is to help alleviate spins in Boston. I think what this would do is 2190 would spin for 2163. 2163 normally comes from the S&I building (the yard) in Boston.
I wonder if the delay in the Avelia program and the fact that some sets are OOS and/or being cannibalized to keep the rest of the fleet going, perhaps the shortage of sets means they need to spin some sets to maintain some semblance of service.

I wonder if the delay in the Avelia program and the fact that some sets are OOS and/or being cannibalized to keep the rest of the fleet going, perhaps the shortage of sets means they need to spin some sets to maintain some semblance of service.
Currently the fleet is down a set. This is for COT&S work and other work to keep them running.

Wasn't one set already scrapped? The schedule was already reduced a few months ago because spare parts are basically nonexistent.

Wasn't one set already scrapped? The schedule was already reduced a few months ago because spare parts are basically nonexistent.
I believe he is talking about one set out of what remains. AFAIR there are four sets currently not in the roster any more and are being used for parts to keep the remaining fleet running.

That’s wild. They’re retiring half the fleet between March 2023 and February 2024. At that rate there won’t be Acela’s in 2025. With Alstom circling the drain, we may be headed to Metroliner 3.0.
Or maybe those train sets are going in for required maintenance. 🤷‍♀️

In the schedule effective February, it looks like they're trying to use only 11 Acela sets.
From what someone (a reliable source) just told me and from my only looking up (via booking) WAS-NYP and NYP-WAS (Weekdays only)

Starting after New Years:

WAS-NYP currently has 10
Will drop 4 and add 6
On Friday one train # will “replace” another and another Acela will be added

NYP-WAS currently has 10
Will drop 1 and add 3

So it looks like they’re adding 2 sets for WAS-NYP-WAS.
Edit: See TR7’s comment below

Last edited:
Back