never taken a train--trip suggestions???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Allie

Hi! I'm new here...I'm a 22 year old college student, and I absolutely love traveling. I've done road trips, I've flown...but for some reason never even considered taking a train. And knowing how driving on the interstate is awfully boring, and airports can be a hassle a train ride seems pretty fun. Something different, at least.

Since the folks to post here have taken trips on amtrak, I'm hoping for some suggestions! I live in northeast Arkansas. There is a station in Walnut Ridge, AR, about 30 minutes from where I live. I would like to take some sort of train trip with a friend, but I have no clue where to go. The $$$ will probably be somewhat limited (hey, we're college kids LOL). I'm totally unfamiliar with traveling by rail and the costs. Our budgets would each only be about $500, so I don't know how much we could do; there might be a little more. We plan to bring our own food to save costs. We'd prolly have about 5-7 days to do the trip in. Could anyone give me some cool suggestions of where to go from Walnut Ridge, AR, and any traveling tips fpr us? Also, is there any way of getting any kind of discounted fares?

I really look forward to your responses! Like I said, we're up for any area of the country...give us your ideas, and we'll take them all into consideration!

If you want a nice cheap long train trip, i suggest the empire builder or the Coast Starlight in sleeper. Both are pretty good deals, provided that you get tickets far enough in advance

Here's a few ideas...

Go to Chicago and spend at least one night. Search very carefully for a hotel. Most of the hotels downtown near Union Station can be pricey.

Or, go down to San Antonio and spend at least one night.

Or, go to Kansas City via the connecting train out of St. Louis. The scenery on that route is quite nice!

If you REALLY want a rail adventure, go from Walnut Ridge to Chicago to Los Angeles and back to Walnut Ridge via San Antonio. You'll really get your fill on a trip like that!

lepearso said:
Go to Chicago and spend at least one night. Search very carefully for a hotel. Most of the hotels downtown near Union Station can be pricey.
In Chicago, try the Cass Hotel for a decent hotel at a price often under $100. Nothing fancy, and it's not in the loop, but it's only a few blocks north of the loop and two blocks away from the Grand Ave stop on the Red Line.

Guest said:
If you want a nice cheap long train trip, i suggest the empire builder or the Coast Starlight in sleeper. Both are pretty good deals, provided that you get tickets far enough in advance
Not exactly cheap (especially not "college-student cheap").

rmadisonwi said:
Guest said:
Not exactly cheap (especially not "college-student cheap").
When I went on the CS with an Aunt a round trip Deluxe LA to Seattle cost us $1,400.00

Thanks for the ideas! Chicago isn't a bad idea...I've never been. I actually have a good friend who lives there now, I could prolly stay with her for free.

The Chicago--LA--San Antonio idea sounds pretty fun...I might look into that as well.

hi,Allie,

i' brenda,25,from Taiwan-Taipei.

i'm planning to visit my friend during 6/17-8/23,2005 in DENVER.

and i'd like to have a trip with AMTRAK (California Zephyr ) by my self.

but i'll be better if i have company,

if u're instersting,please contect me:

msn: [email protected]

mail: [email protected]

ps.maybe i can teach u chinese langue while the trip! :p

Hi Allie,

Well, you may have some options for companionship in Chicago; however, if the gals don't work out, try the youth hostel (do a Google search). They are clean and cheap and there is one right downtown. If you can afford $80 or so, I'll back Allan up on his suggestion for the Cass. Good place, great location.

Have fun

Aloha

Not said but it was included with the suggestion to have a sleeper is having meals in the diner. Besides great food you meet such interesting people, and conversation's Well worth every penny.

Back