Need to Link Reservations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernServesTheSouth

Service Attendant
I am traveling from Albuquerque to Charlottesville in May 2016. I didn't have enough points for a 2 zone bedroom, so I redeemed 25,000 points for Albuquerque to Chicago and purchased by credit card for Chicago to Charlottesville.

Knowing how things can go wrong, I called Amtrak and requested that the two reservations be linked to provide a guaranteed connection. I was told "since two reservation (point redemption and cash) systems were used the 2 reservations cannot be linked".

I was thinking I had read on this forum that reservations could be linked. Has anyone been successful in getting this type of reservation linked?

There is no need to link them to provide the haute teed connecting. As a connecting passenger making a legal connection, you'll be fine.

Edit: why didn't you go all the way to CIN on points and make your paid segment cheaper? Then this really wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no need to link them to provide the haute teed connecting. As a connecting passenger making a legal connection, you'll be fine.

Edit: why didn't you go all the way to CIN on points and make your paid segment cheaper? Then this really wouldn't be an issue.
Good idea, sorry I didn't think of it. As long as they didn't kick me out of one bedroom for another at 3:17a.m. Too late now. No more bedrooms available.

I need interpretation of " haute teed"

I thought that if it was on one reservation they had to make arrangements to get you on that train, or put you on another, or put you up for the night. If I am 200 miles south of Chicago on the SWC and the Cardinal pulls out of Chicago, they just think I was a "no show" cancel my reservation and I loose my money and will be stuck in Chicago on my own trying to get to Charlottesville.

I think "haute teed" is Ryan's autocorrect messing with him. It might be "guaranteed" in human-speak. :)

Points bedroom ABQ to ChI and paid bedroom CHI to CVS.
I'd call AGR and ask if you can MODIFY your CHI-CVS to be points to CIN and paid the rest of the way.

Actually, ask them if they can tack on the CHI-CIN to your ABQ-CHI reservation and keep you in the same bedroom CIN-CVS for the paid portion

Yeah, so the bedroom is available - you're in it! What you want to do is convert the CHI-CIN segment from paid to points on the tail end of your redemption. Staying in the central zone means no more points, and reducing the paid segment from CHI-CVS to CIN-CVS should save you some dough.

I'd call up AGR, carefully explain what you want to do and see how they do it. The safest way would be to modify the paid res first, opening up the space for them to then modify the AGR res.

Called AGR explained what I wanted to do. They could extend my AGR points travel to CIN putting me in bedroom A, BUT could since I was already in bedroom B on the paid reservation CHI to CVS it would be double booking and Amtrak would cancel out the points travel ABQ to CIN. AGR said they couldn't modify the paid reservation for me.

I don't want to change the paid portion prior to getting the AGR changed due to possibility of not having a bedroom at all.

Called AGR explained what I wanted to do. They could extend my AGR points travel to CIN putting me in bedroom A, BUT could since I was already in bedroom B on the paid reservation CHI to CVS it would be double booking and Amtrak would cancel out the points travel ABQ to CIN. AGR said they couldn't modify the paid reservation for me.

I don't want to change the paid portion prior to getting the AGR changed due to possibility of not having a bedroom at all.
AGR can handle both paid and points reservations, but this may be tricky for them. As others say, maybe call back later and get a different agent, who might know how to do it, and if s/he says s/he can't, ask her/him to ask a supervisor.

UPDATE......UPDATE! ! ! :excl: :excl: :excl:

Called AGR back. Got another agent. This guy Jeremy knows his stuff. :p A click here a click there reservation cancelled here, reservation made there, refund over here, new charge there and I now have ABQ to CIN (1 Zone reward) and CIN to CVS (paid). Refund of $226.50. None of the crap about its two different reservation systems and we cant do it.

THANK YOU ! Ryan AND AmtrakBlue for taking the time to help this senior citizen out.. :) :) :)

YAY!!! And I learned all I know from the wonderful people here on AU. :wub:

Congrats, as was said, great folks on AU!

You can use some of your savings for really good meals, since the Cardinal isn't the Super Chief or Panama Ltd. when it comes to Food and Drink!

A click here a click there reservation cancelled here, reservation made there, refund over here, new charge there and I now have ABQ to CIN (1 Zone reward) and CIN to CVS (paid). Refund of $226.50. None of the crap about its two different reservation systems and we cant do it.
I'm glad this worked out, but isn't this what people warn against? "Reservation cancelled here" rather than modified?

A click here a click there reservation cancelled here, reservation made there, refund over here, new charge there and I now have ABQ to CIN (1 Zone reward) and CIN to CVS (paid). Refund of $226.50. None of the crap about its two different reservation systems and we cant do it.
I'm glad this worked out, but isn't this what people warn against? "Reservation cancelled here" rather than modified?
The warning is for US not to say cancel, but modify. What they actually do on their end may require cancellation, but they should know how to do it in a way not to lose a room.

The problem with modifying rather than canceling is the system detects double booking and will cancel one. I had PAID reservation from CHI to CVS. They couldn't modify my AGR from ABQ to CHI to ABQ to CNI on the same train and same date. They cancelled my CHI to CVS and immediately booked CIN-CVS. Then they modified my ABQ - CHI to ABQ -CIN

I think he had both of my reservations up on the two systems and juggled them until it came out the way we wanted. He was cool and calm clicking away while I was holding my breath.

The warning is for US not to say cancel, but modify. What they actually do on their end may require cancellation, but they should know how to do it in a way not to lose a room.
Has anybody on the forum actually lost an already ticketed room simply because someone else bought it during the brief moment it was being cancelled and reissued? Sounds like yet another unsubstantiated AU myth to me. Our humble forum seems to be full of well meaning but completely unverified assumptions based on nothing more than an oft repeated hunch.

Pure conjecture on my part but based on my experience in the airline industry and that Amtrak's reservation system seems to be based on airline reservations systems, I have a few comments.

First, regarding duplicate book detection, I very much doubt that runs instantly. Most likely an overnight process. Being duplicate booked for a few minutes is extremely unlikely to trigger anything. Given that one generally does not want to give up confirmed space until the replacement is confirmed, a short period of being duplicate booked is normal.

Regarding how the changes described above were accomplished, my guess is with a lot of overrides. Airline systems generally have a large disconnect between reservations on a plane (train) and a specific seat (room) assignment and I'd assume Amtrak is the same way. With most airlines, when you make a reservation, you first book "a" seat, then once that is confirmed reserve a "specific" seat And if the flight is overbooked or no seats are available for which you qualify for advance booking, you can be confirmed on the flight but not have a seat assignment. Given sufficient authority in the reservations system, people can have the ability to override booking limits, override fares, and just about anything else. That there is the disconnect between space on a train and specific space fits with people reporting how Amtrak will show, for instance, a bedroom available CHI-LAX on #3 but when they try to book it, they can't because it's not the same bedroom the whole distance. If right, then it is possible (again with the right supervisor/manager authority) to overbook sleeping car space.

So my guess is the Amtrak representative booked new space CHI-CIN and CIN-CVS overbooking it (reservation status would be confirmed in a bedroom but no bedroom assigned (a "no seat" as we say in the airline industry). Used override authority to force the previously held fare bucket CIN-CVS if needed. Then cancelled the original space (for those who make a distinction between canceling and modifying, this would probably be canceling the segment in the reservation being modified - almost all modifications in an airline-style reservation involve canceling something and adding something when you get down to the components of a reservation). At that point, he would be confirmed in a bedroom with no bedroom assigned, the bedroom involved would be unassigned, but there would be no salable space (for someone to steal the unassigned bedroom) because all the bedroom space was reserved. Then it's a simple matter of assigning him to the unassigned bedroom. The only risk is that someone already reserved in a bedroom calls in to change the bedroom assignment but that is a much, much smaller risk than someone without a reservation stealing the space while the changes are being made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back