Need Information

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bettybo

I plan to take a train from New Orleans en route to Calgary, Alberta. However, I found out that the train does not go to Calgary. I suppose I would get off in Whitefish, Montana and try to make some sort of connection to Calgary (not airplane). Does anyone know of a bus connection from Whitefish to Calgary? I checked with Cut Bank and Shelby Chamber of Commerce and they have no connections to Calgary. Or, do you suggest another city either in Montana or in Idaho that might have bus connections to Calgary?

Thank you very much for your replies, AmtrakFan. I had no idea that connections from New Orleans to Calgary, Alberta would have to be via Vancouver. That surely would be about 4 days in transit, don't you think? If you have any other ideas, please pass them on to me. Thanks again for your help!

bettybo said:
Thank you very much for your replies, AmtrakFan. I had no idea that connections from New Orleans to Calgary, Alberta would have to be via Vancouver. That surely would be about 4 days in transit, don't you think? If you have any other ideas, please pass them on to me. Thanks again for your help!
I will work on them. Vancouver would save you 2 Transfer on Greyhound with moving luggage around. I have never ridden them but I have done Amtrak.

You could try taking VIA Rail's Canadian (though, at times that train can be a bit pricey). It will stop in Edmonton, which is not all that far from Calgary (4 hour Greyhound ride). You could take the City of New Orleans to Chicago, Lake Shore to upstate New York (Buffalo, for example) transfer to the Maple Leaf to Toronto. Overnight in Toronto, then ride the Canadian westbound to Edmonton.

VIA Rail's website is http://www.viarail.ca and you can get info on that segment from them.

Unfortunately, there is no "easy" way to get from New Orleans to Calgary by train.

The most direct route would seem to be one that involved mostly trains and minimized the bus rides. It would seem most logical to take the following for your trip:

Amtrak Train 58 (City of New Orleans) from New Orleans, LA to Chicago, IL

Amtrak Train 7 (Empire Builder) from Chicago, IL to Grand Forks, ND

Greyhound connecting service from Grand Forks, ND to Winnipeg, MB.

Via Rail Service from Winnipeg, MB to Edmonton.

Greyhound connecting service from Edmonton to Calgary.

I think it's either a long train ride or flying. Personally, if you have the time, I'd take the train. It would be a blast. I've done the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle twice. There are plenty of buses between Seattle and Vancouver so you don't need Greyhound or the train. You should take the Canadian from Vancouver to Edmonton. Great ride through some fantastic scenery. If you have the money, go for a lower berth. Very roomy, cozy, nice. Food is free. If you're short on cash, just go coach. Very comfy and you get use of an excellent club car.

There is train service from Vancover to Calgary. The Rocky Mountaineer makes that run. Expensive - but what a trip !!

Going all the way to Seattle, up to Vancouver and then over to Edmonton/Calgary is hundreds (thousands?) of miles out of the way and would add days to bettybo's already long enough trip. The routing I have suggested would be the shortest for her and still very scenic and enjoyable.

I made this trip back in 1999. I rode the City of New Orleans to Chicago, changed over the Empire Builder, and rode to Shelby, Montana. At Shelby, I had to stay overnight and then take a Rimrock Stages Bus to Calgary. Actually, you ride on Rimrock Stages all the way to Canadian border. After you get through Customs you board a Greyhound bus to Calgary.

I am no fan of bus rides, especially Greyhound, but this one was really quite nice. The Greyhound terminal in Calgary is one of the best bus stations I have ever been in. Clean, courteous, and easy to figure out.

I wish that the bus/train connections were better coordinated in Shelby. If you do go there and have to stay overnight you will be only a short walk to the nearest motel.

By the way, Calgary is a lovely city!!!

lepearso said:
I rode the City of New Orleans to Chicago, changed over the Empire Builder, and rode to Shelby, Montana. At Shelby, I had to stay overnight and then take a Rimrock Stages Bus to Calgary. Actually, you ride on Rimrock Stages all the way to Canadian border. After you get through Customs you board a Greyhound bus to Calgary.
There you go, Betty. That sounds even better! B)

MrFSS said:
Rimrock Stages Web Page doesn't show any scheduled service to Shelby.
I found service between Shelby and Canada under the Coutts - Butte - Salt Lake City schedule link.

I'm still working on the connections between Cut Bank/Shelby to Calgary, but I want to thank all of you for your suggestions! They have been very helpful. Pls. keep them coming if you find out more. Thanks!

jccollins said:
The most direct route would seem to be one that involved mostly trains and minimized the bus rides. It would seem most logical to take the following for your trip:
Amtrak Train 58 (City of New Orleans) from New Orleans, LA to Chicago, IL

Amtrak Train 7 (Empire Builder) from Chicago, IL to Grand Forks, ND

Greyhound connecting service from Grand Forks, ND to Winnipeg, MB.

Via Rail Service from Winnipeg, MB to Edmonton.

Greyhound connecting service from Edmonton to Calgary.
Bus service from Grand Forks to Winnipeg is now provided by Jefferson Lines. The route was abandoned by Greyhound some time ago.

Between Edmonton and Calgary, there is a premium bus service called Red Arrow.

These two services would allow you to make this trip without using Greyhound.

jccollins said:
lepearso said:
I rode the City of New Orleans to Chicago, changed over the Empire Builder, and rode to Shelby, Montana.  At Shelby, I had to stay overnight and then take a Rimrock Stages Bus to Calgary.  Actually, you ride on Rimrock Stages all the way to Canadian border.  After you get through Customs you board a Greyhound bus to Calgary.
There you go, Betty. That sounds even better! B)
I've heard that Rimrock Trailways is eliminating this route.

I hate to hear that Rimrock is eliminating the route through Shelby.

However, I am very interested in the fact that Jefferson Lines now goes from Fargo and Grand Forks to Winnepeg. Somtime back, Amtrak had a Thruway arrangement with Greyhound on that very route. Maybe, just maybe, they would consider such an arrangement with Jefferson, though I know their minds are on bigger issues at the present moment.

Back