Need info on Union Station DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbug119

Train Attendant
I have been to Union Station DC several times, but as a sleeper passenger, so there was a place to put my suitcase while I killed some time seeing the sights. However, this time my mom and I are going coach, with the same layover. We'd like to see some sights, but need to know if there's anywhere to put our luggage at the station. I don't want to haul my luggage all over town.

Yes, you can check your luggage while you are sightseeing. I don't recall the cost, but you will need to show ID.
There is a manned parcel room where you can check your bags. It's not cheap but it is available. I never paid because they give railroad employees free checking but I have heard other passengers griping about the fees.

If you want a real treat step across the street to The Capital City Brewhouse.. They have great beer and even better appetizers. It's a nice atmosphere with a lively crowd. If you get there in the daytime you can get a tour~ it's in the old post office building. Have a good trip.

Just FYI this baggage room is located near Gate A (the MARC gate) and the passageway to the Metro Red Line from the Claytor concourse.

I just went thru yesterday 21 July 07 the clerk combined two smaller bags and one med. bag into one large bag and charged us $ 4.00 for 2 hours. I did not blink. Its worth the price to leave them and stroll around. :) Prices are posted on the wall in back of the counter. I always leave a tip also. This time we had a different clerk. In the past it has always been the same woman, I think she remembers us and always gives a good rate. Prices may seem high but sometimes it cost a little to travel lite. :D PS ID is a must.

Thanks for the info - that definitely helps! We'll be traveling light, (or at least mom will be!!), so hopefully the train won't be too late coming in and we'll have time to see something. Last time I was there, we were 2 hours late, so we didn't feel comfy venturing too far - then the train to Chicago left 2 hours late, so we were disappointed - we could have seen more than the Post Office Museum! :rolleyes:

DH and I just got back from DC a couple of weeks ago, and had lunch at the Capital Hill - if you like beer, the 5 beer sample is great!! Food was good too!

Yes, you can check your luggage while you are sightseeing. I don't recall the cost, but you will need to show ID.
There is a manned parcel room where you can check your bags. It's not cheap but it is available. I never paid because they give railroad employees free checking but I have heard other passengers griping about the fees.

If you want a real treat step across the street to The Capital City Brewhouse.. They have great beer and even better appetizers. It's a nice atmosphere with a lively crowd. If you get there in the daytime you can get a tour~ it's in the old post office building. Have a good trip.
Another vote for the Capitol City Brewery - the chicken fingers appetizer is great with extra honey mustard sauce. :)

I go there every time I want something better than the Union Station basement food court fare. And they're open pretty late, too... I think 11pm. Makes for a good dinner before catching, say, 66 northbound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back