Need info on Empire Builder service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Ted

I am supposed to be taking a group of Boy Scouts from MSP to Havre, MT on Friday, June 10th, and we can't get any kind solid word on what the status is of the service disruption. Group reservations is telling us that service will be restored on Wednesday, but one of our adults went to the station this weekend to get luggage tags and someone there told him there's no way it would be running again by Friday. :-( Now we don't know what to do.

If service isn't going to be running, we need to make some serious alternate plans RIGHT NOW. Planning a week long trip for 30 people with only 3 days to do is going to be difficult enough, but we need to KNOW we are aren't going to be able to be on Amtrak to make our alternate plans. Group Reservations say we can't get a refund until service is officially canceled, so we are completely in limbo.

If anyone has any information that might not be publicly available, please feel free to send it to me at: ted.mclaughlin at gmail.com

Thank you very much for your help.

Ted

Last edited:
Here's an article from today. Sounds like they are still planning to resume service tomorrow:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_1347e872-9082-11e0-96ba-001cc4c002e0.html

Amtrak is exceptionally bad about letting passengers know what is going on when there are service disruptions. I really don't know why. Somebody, somewhere makes a decision whether to run the train or not. As soon as that decision is made it should be forwarded to every ticket and station agent as well as posted on their website. But for whatever reason that doesn't seem to happen....

Mark

Here's an article from today. Sounds like they are still planning to resume service tomorrow:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_1347e872-9082-11e0-96ba-001cc4c002e0.html

Amtrak is exceptionally bad about letting passengers know what is going on when there are service disruptions. I really don't know why. Somebody, somewhere makes a decision whether to run the train or not. As soon as that decision is made it should be forwarded to every ticket and station agent as well as posted on their website. But for whatever reason that doesn't seem to happen....

Mark
The decision was made, last week, to run #s 7/8 on June 8th. No other information has been communicated down the chain that I'm aware of. The person who told the OP that the train wouldn't be running again on Friday is wrong. There have been no official changes to the plan currently in place. I must add that conditions change minute by minute. Amtrak is still at the mercy of the BNSF as to when they can resume service with a reasonable expectation of safety and OTP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been watching the disruptions too as we are suppose to be on the EB on 6/11 from PDX to GPK. Looking at the Amtrak site the trains are said to be 'sold out' for all EB routes for the 8th and 9th now too. I'm assuming the EB runs have been canceled now for another two days. What to do?

OK, officially AMTRAK hasn't made an announcement yet that I've seen. However, insider information has confirmed that full service will NOT be restored by the 10h. Start making those alternate plans now.

I've been watching the disruptions too as we are suppose to be on the EB on 6/11 from PDX to GPK. Looking at the Amtrak site the trains are said to be 'sold out' for all EB routes for the 8th and 9th now too. I'm assuming the EB runs have been canceled now for another two days. What to do?
It's also my understanding that, instead of buses only to Spokane, Amtrak is gonna run a stub train to Whitefish, MT on the 10th and possibly on the 11th too. Obviously this doesn't get you all the way to Glacier Park. You may need to look into alternate transportation between Whitefish and Glacier.

I really try to give Amtrak the benefit of the doubt. But it's amazing, simply amazing that the Web site has nothing that I can see about the Empire Builder cancellation. I'd prefer a big notice on the opening Web page telling us that the supposed premier western long-distance train isn't running, but I'd settle for any notice at all, and I just don't see it.

I understand the reasons for the cancellation, but not for the silence.

For Ted: you can buy a ticket St. Paul-Havre for 6/10 from amtrak.com, so I think that Amtrak plans to run a train that day, but my surmises and $3.50 will get you a caramel macchiato. I'd trust EB_OBS, but wonder why in God's name they're still selling tickets for a train they've cancelled.

I have to agree with Ispolkom on Amtrak's poor communication on the website. It would seem that as easy as I can post here at Amtrak Unlimited, that someone, with a full-time job in customer service, could be responsible to work with the website people to post current info regarding service disruptions.

I called Amtrak a few minutes ago.... I was told that EB would run tomorrow. I am really mad about Amtrak's inability to communicate, very poor customer service to get to within a couple of days of a 2200 mile trip and not know if our family of 5 will be on the train reserved 6 months ago or, "your on your own" from Amtrak.

I called Amtrak a few minutes ago.... I was told that EB would run tomorrow. I am really mad about Amtrak's inability to communicate, very poor customer service to get to within a couple of days of a 2200 mile trip and not know if our family of 5 will be on the train reserved 6 months ago or, "your on your own" from Amtrak.
Have you spoke with Amtrak about re-routing on an alternate train?

When I call and they learn that my reservation is the 10th they tell me the train will run on the 8th and I can call back to check. We are leaving home tomorrow to head to Memphis-have a couple of stops to make on the way. We are supposed to board CONO on the 9th to Chicago. Then, EB on the 10th to Seattle. It has been my understanding that they won't discuss alternatives unless they cancel my trip. I have several back up plans in mind.

When I call and they learn that my reservation is the 10th they tell me the train will run on the 8th and I can call back to check. We are leaving home tomorrow to head to Memphis-have a couple of stops to make on the way. We are supposed to board CONO on the 9th to Chicago. Then, EB on the 10th to Seattle. It has been my understanding that they won't discuss alternatives unless they cancel my trip. I have several back up plans in mind.
THIS JUST POSTED ON AMTRAK'S WEBSITE:

Two Amtrak Routes Disrupted by Flooding

Empire Builder & California Zephyr

June 7, 2011

4:00 p.m. CDT

Amtrak services on two routes in the Central U.S. are affected by current and predicted flooding. Passengers with travel plans on these routes are urged to call 800-USA-RAIL for additional information. Empire Builder (Trains 7/27 & 8/28) Amtrak service continues to be temporarily suspended west of St. Paul, Minn., due to a BNSF Railway Co. track closure with flooding between Devils Lake and Rugby, N.D. This suspension includes the daily originations of the trains from Portland, Seattle and Chicago through this Thursday, June 9. Daily Amtrak Empire Builder service will be maintained between Chicago and St. Paul and between Spokane, Wash., and both Portland, Ore., and Seattle with alternate transportation via trains and/or chartered motorcoaches. No Amtrak service is available for these days in Minnesota (except St. Paul, Red Wing & Winona), North Dakota, Montana and Idaho. California Zephyr (Trains 5 & 6) Amtrak service will be temporarily suspended between Denver and Chicago due to predicted flood crests and anticipated additional BNSF Railway Co. track closures in the Omaha area. This suspension is effective with the origination of the eastbound Train 6 on Thursday, June 9, from Emeryville, Calif., and the origination of the westbound Train 5 on Friday, June 10, from Chicago. This disruption is expected to continue through at least June 14. Daily Amtrak California Zephyr service will be maintained between Emeryville and Denver and by other trains between Chicago and Galesburg, Ill. No Amtrak service is available for these days in Iowa (except Ft. Madison), Nebraska, and in Ft. Morgan, Colo. Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Looks like the only long distance trains headed in a westbound direction from Chicago will be the Texas Eagle and the Southwest Chief.

I would hope the Builder could be detoured around Devil's Lake, because the Surrey Cutoff goes around that area, but I understand they have had a lot of soft track problems on that freight route.

Will the Builder run on the 10th? It's just a guessing game now.

I just got a phone call that my trip on the EB for the 10th is canceled from Minot to Chicago.

Well, it looks like we will drive. :eek:hboy:

The service alert says through June 9th, online ticket sales says June 10th. Tickets available June 11th.

Looks like they just posted this on their web page.
Where did you find that at? It's certainly not jumping out at you from the main page.

Never mind, I found it by clicking on Inside Amtrak at the bottom of the page. Service Alerts really should be more prominent at AMTRAK.COM

Looks like they just posted this on their web page.
Where did you find that at? It's certainly not jumping out at you from the main page.

Never mind, I found it by clicking on Inside Amtrak at the bottom of the page. Service Alerts really should be more prominent at AMTRAK.COM
It's on top of the home page "Service Alert".

Do you guys have round table meetings? If so, I'm sure this issue has been brought up about having updates on their home page.. I'm sure it would save alot of hold time for customer.

The alert, "Midwest service advisory" is terribly misleading. I would have imagined that it meant there were troubles with the Saluki or the Wolverine. I'd think a much bigger notice saying something like, "WARNING: WESTERN TRAINS CANCELED!" would have been better. But that's probably why I'm not in marketing.

Thanks for everyone's assistance with this. Amtrak called me at around 3pm this afternoon to let me know it had been cancelled on Friday, and that the group would recieve a full refund.

Since then I've been furiously planning a different trip, (no way I'm driving 18+ hours from MSP to Havre through flooded ND).

Thanks again.

Ted

It's on top of the home page "Service Alert".

Do you guys have round table meetings? If so, I'm sure this issue has been brought up about having updates on their home page.. I'm sure it would save alot of hold time for customer.

Ha, ok. I was scrutinizing the website pretty closely earlier today, looking for this, and I'm pretty sure that was not there then. Oh well, maybe I'm blind. Anyway, at least it's there now. I should suggest they make it a bit bigger or make it flash or something.

I should suggest they make it a bit bigger or make it flash or something.
There used to be a tag "<blink>", I believe, that made text flash in some browsers. Everyone hated it.

I don't know if there is some other way to alert Webpage viewers of important information without it being annoying to someone.

1:17 a.m. --- just finished getting hotel reservations for our 2212 mile trip to Seattle.

Amtrak has not called yet to cancel our June 10th reservation......I will call them today to get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back