NEC trip questions, NYP to WAS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm excited to do a day trip NYP to WAS on Sep 3 with my wife. I last travelled on Amtrak about 25 years ago! I just have a few questions to bring my knowledge up to date.

1. What side is the most "scenic" side to sit on? (please tell me it's not the same side that opposite train traffic uses too...my memory of my last Amtrak trip was as a kid being frightened by staring out the window and suddenly having a train rip by mere inches from my face...lol)

2. My wife and I will probably bring a laptop and iPad. If we want to get up from our seat during the trip and walk around, to the Cafe Car or whatever, should we bring all that with us, or is it safe to leave them at our seats?

3. I like the idea of sitting in the Quiet Car, which I've read a little about. My wife and I talk quietly on public transport and take care not to be disruptive to our surroundings. What are our chances of scoring seats in that car on both legs, at Penn and at Union Station?

4. We're taking the 8:10am out of Penn, and retunring on 9:30pm out of WAS. Just out of curiosity, how crowded are those trains, usually?

5. Any other tips people want to share? :)

Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. The east side (left southbound, right northbound) would have the slightly better views of "scenery." But southbound it will be the side the opposite train traffic uses, and since the NEC has up to 4 main tracks in many areas, you could still end up with another train ripping by inches away.

2. In coach, definitely either take them, or lock them to a permanent part of the vehicle.

That's about all I can offer, I'll leave the rest to other posters.

For better or worse Amtrak really hasn't changed all that much in the last twenty five years or so. The only obvious exception is the Acela Express service.

1. Depends on what you want to see really. I've been satisfied with either side, but I'm not a native of the Northeast, so it's all equally curious to me. From what I understand any active track can potentially be used by any train regardless of direction, but I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much. After a few passes between trains you'll get used to it.

2. I'd probably carry the electronics with me or at least stow them away from prying eyes. My view on this is that it's the owners responsibility to keep valuables safe. Amtrak certainly isn't going to help you if anything should go missing. Consider using a Kensington cable or bringing an older (preferably encrypted) tablet and/or laptop that wouldn't cause much harm or cost that much to replace if it went missing.

3. I'll have to leave that to the folks who ride these trains more frequently.

4. NYP can be a strange and confounding experience for new travelers. It's not setup or managed like any other station I've ever seen and the confusing signage borders on useless, so if you're not familiar with NYP don't hesitate to ask our resident NYP regulars for help.

In terms of ridership, you are on the edge of Labor day weekend. The morning train originates in NYP, so finding seats won't be a big problem and there will be very little business travel competing for seats. The return coming from Va. is likely to be more crowded, but still should be able to get seats together.

In my experience, when you get to the platform in NYP the Quiet Car is at the opposite end of the train, i.e. west, almost always the second car of the train, after Business Class car. If you hustle up there (on the platform) you can maybe get two seats together; if not, usually the last car of the train is the least crowded of all, which you will be near when you get to the bottom of the escalator.

At WAS it's similar. When you get to the platform you are near the last car of the train and the Quiet Car is way to the front, i.e. north.

I do not leave anything of any value at my seat when I go to the Café Car unless I have a seatmate who stays. I feel differently about long distance trains where everyone is on the train together for much longer time.

Hi all, I'm excited to do a day trip NYP to WAS on Sep 3 with my wife. I last travelled on Amtrak about 25 years ago! I just have a few questions to bring my knowledge up to date.

4. We're taking the 8:10am out of Penn, and retunring on 9:30pm out of WAS. Just out of curiosity, how crowded are those trains, usually?

5. Any other tips people want to share? :)
I have made the WAS-NYP trip many times, both on Regionals and Acelas. First, the 8:10 AM departure from NYP on a weekday is Regional 185 which originates at NYP. So it should be on time. I would expect a large crowd will be boarding the train at NYP, but you should have no problems finding 2 seats available on either side in the Quiet (or other coach) cars, so long as you go directly to the car when you get down to the platform.

Both NYP and WAS will have a gate keeper checking tickets, so have your eTicket ready when you get to the front of the line at the gate. Your eTicket will be scanned later on the train at your seat by the Conductor or assistant, so keep your ticket with you. WAS has orderly, but usually long lines wrapping around the passenger waiting area, for boarding Regionals. NYP is more of a scrum, as everyone will move to the gate when the boarding gate is announced and put up on the big board. They generally announce the gate about 10 minutes before departure.

The Quiet Car (QC) will be the second car from the front. The Regionals are almost always configured with the business class car at the front behind the locomotive, then the QC, a regular coach car, the cafe car, followed by 3 to 5 coach cars. So head to the front after getting off the escalator onto the platform at NYP if you want to sit in the QC.

I don't consider either side to be particularly more scenic than the other between NYP-WAS. The eastern/southern side has more waterside views, but going southbound that would be on the left and you will encounter more trains passing only a couple of feet away in the other direction on that side. Plenty to see if you sit on the right hand side. You will see a lot of post-industrial and crumbling concrete views on the trip, especially in Philly and Baltimore.

If both of you leave your seats, I would take the iPad with you. I have left my laptop at my seat for quick trips to the cafe car or restroom, but I put it away in a bag and make the bag low profile. If you don't have a GPS tracking app on the iPad, you might want to install one such as GPS MotionX. Yes, the Apple Maps or Google maps will show you where you are (when you can get a GPS lock), but tracking apps will show you the speed and record your path.

Enjoy the trip and the quick 1 day sightseeing tour in DC.

Thanks all, your replies and helpful advice is much appreciated :)

I'll add one more question--I'm going to be bringing my own food aboard (I have to eat gluten free). Are there tables in the Cafe Car to eat? Is there a lounge car of some sort? Or do I basically just eat at my seat?

I'm planning on bypassing the gate crush at NYP by going down to the mezzanine level (I'm still somewhat familiar with NYP, as I used to live in NYC and my most recent trip on LIRR was a couple of years ago). I hope that little trick still works...!

Both NYP and WAS will have a gate keeper checking tickets, so have your eTicket ready when you get to the front of the line at the gate. Your eTicket will be scanned later on the train at your seat by the Conductor or assistant, so keep your ticket with you. WAS has orderly, but usually long lines wrapping around the passenger waiting area, for boarding Regionals. NYP is more of a scrum, as everyone will move to the gate when the boarding gate is announced and put up on the big board. They generally announce the gate about 10 minutes before departure.

They generally do not let you take your own food into the cafe car. You can eat at your seat. As I recall, the regionals have seat back trays.

Did you read about the new DC Circulator bus that goes around the National Mall sights? I can't paste the link here but if you search in forums (above right corner) 'DC circulator bus' you will find it.
YES!! I can't even begin to tell you how thrilled I was to find that out yesterday. I had been planning on doing the Capital Bikeshare thing to get around the Mall, but then yesterday I saw that they just restarted the DC Circulator National Mall route after a four-year hiatus, just in time for our trip, and I almost cried :)

Canadave: consider using a Redcap ( Amtrak employees that work for tips) in NYP and WAS to board your trains. They will get you train side before the thundering hurds rush to board and you will avoid the sometimes crazy long lines in WAS.

Also you will be able to pick your seats before the train is full. Great $5 investment!

Canadave: consider using a Redcap ( Amtrak employees that work for tips) in NYP and WAS to board your trains. They will get you train side before the thundering hurds rush to board and you will avoid the sometimes crazy long lines in WAS.

Also you will be able to pick your seats before the train is full. Great $5 investment!
Isn't that only for folks with luggage, though?

I believe that consumption of outside food in NEC regional café cars is allowed as one of the exceptions covered in the "Blue Book" Same for Empire Service AFAIK. I have had Red Caps pre board me, they sort of like us "carry-on" only types, because we can tag along with a luggage run if there is room on the elevator. 2 for one trip deal.

Nope, as was said, the more the merrier, I've been with a Group as large as 8 boarding @ NYP without Luggage. WAS uses carts for some trains, you walk to others, but since the Redcaps work for tips they don't care if you have no luggage!

lol okay, so, how does that work in practice? I go up to a Red Cap and say, "Excuse me, could you take me down to the platform for the 8:10am train to Washington?" :) Surely there's more of a trick to it than that...

There is no need to explain the whys and wherefores. Just say you need assistance reaching a given train and if you feel uncomfortable carrying your own luggage then feel free to hand something over.

At the entrance to the ticketed passenger waiting area is a desk where you can let them know you want red cap assistance. Very often, the red caps themselves are there. Ask one, they will almost always handle it themselves.

Are you carrying your laptop and tablet in your hand? In any case I'd simply request assistance and then start walking with the group when the time comes. The Redcap isn't any sort of arbiter or policy enforcer. He wants your tip every bit as much as you want to give it to him. Making the experience into a hassle serves no purpose for either of you.

That's the point though, I don't have anything to hand over :) No luggage whatsoever.
It is as simple as asking the Red Cap "Can I tag along?" and they will usually not refuse specially if you do treat them well with a reasonable tip. I have done it many times and never been refused yet.

As far as scenery goes, the left side leaving New York is the best. You will see the Philadelphia skyline, Fairmount Park, and the Art Museum as you cross the Schuylkill River on the approach to 30th St. You also get to see the Delaware River between Philadelphia and Wilmington and get a view of Havre de Grace as you cross the Susquehanna River. On the other hand, you miss the "Trenton Makes, The World Takes" sign as you cross the Delaware leaving Trenton, and you'll miss the yards in Ivy City approaching Washington where there is usually an assortment of Amtrak, MARC, and VRE rolling stock, including a Capitol Limited trainset, and sometimes even private cars and such.

Nope, as was said, the more the merrier, I've been with a Group as large as 8 boarding @ NYP without Luggage. WAS uses carts for some trains, you walk to others, but since the Redcaps work for tips they don't care if you have no luggage!
Red Caps are hourly paid Amtrak employees with benefits. The tips are in addition to their wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back