NEC regional business class vs Acela

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jules

Taking Amtrak to DC and back NYP, on a Friday - Sunday in May.

Does it make a difference (outside of the price and travel time) whether I take a business class regional or the Acela?

Are there any trains that originate in NYP? What would be more crowded?

Thanks!

Be aware that Business Class on a Regional and on an Acela are not the same. On a Regional, seats are either coach or Business Class. On an Acela, seats are either Business Class or First Class. (There is no coach on AE, BC is the equivalent to coach.)

Last edited by a moderator:
BC on the NEC will not be nearly as plush as BC on Acela. It is arguably a step up from coach on the Regionals. If you get lucky and get a 2 x 1 faux leather seating business class, you'll feel a bit more like you're getting something of value. I would also suspect that your "free" non-alcoholic soda is more readily available on the Acela than it tends to be on the NER. The allocation of free soda seems to disappear quickly on the regionals.

That being said, the rest comes down to price and travel time. There are a few trains that originate in NYP towards DC, but most start in BOS. About 1/2 hour difference in time between the Regional and the Acela on that segment.

Last edited by a moderator:
BC on the NEC will not be nearly as plush as BC on Acela. It is arguably a step up from coach on the Regionals. If you get lucky and get a 2 x 1 faux leather seating business class, you'll feel a bit more like you're getting something of value. I would also suspect that your "free" non-alcoholic soda is more readily available on the Acela than it tends to be on the NER. The allocation of free soda seems to disappear quickly on the regionals.That being said, the rest comes down to price and travel time. There are a few trains that originate in NYP towards DC, but most start in BOS. About 1/2 hour difference in time between the Regional and the Acela on that segment.
BC on Acela does not include free sodas. It is basically a coach class of service but with first class style seats in a more modern train than the regionals.
Acela FC includes free everything such as sodas, booze, and better food than any cafe car provides.

Mike

I personally did not find Acela BC to be anything like "Business" class, its just another usual 2x2 seating coach with tables and a bigger window than Regionals.. and yes, no "free" soda on Acela BC, which you can get on Regional BC. If I were you, I'd take whichever was cheaper and/or convenient schedule.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it again - the only thing that is consistent about Business Class on Amtrak is that the service is TOTALLY inconsistent!

Also look at traveling NYP-ALX on your westbound leg; that will open up some long-distance trains, no business class but sometimes a roomette can be had for about the same cost as Acela. When the train arrives in WAS, you get off there.

Thank you all for the replies. I had forgotten about the AAA discount! That helps at least on the way back up. Train attendant, I looked at your suggestion, and indeed it's about the same price as the Acela. Not a bad idea. Maybe I'll pretend I'm in a compartment on the Hogwarts Express! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back