NEC Mail Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebert

Train Attendant
Does anyone know if Amtrak still runs the mail trains on the NEC or did those go away with the end of the Mail & Express business?

-Firebert

battalion51 said:
Mail trains pretty much bit the dust with the retirement of MHC's, long before M&E's demise.
From what I can tell, few have mourned the loss of the mail-oriented trains in the northeast, I assume because their former schedules are still represented albeit with passenger-only service.

As for the MHC's, I wanted to call for a national celebration when they were all sold. Besides their notoriety for causing late trains and slow schedules, they were just plain ugly.

lepearso said:
As for the MHC's, I wanted to call for a national celebration when they were all sold. Besides their notoriety for causing late trains and slow schedules, they were just plain ugly.
That, and the fact that they had the tendency to derail.

well when gunn came to office he realized it was costing more money than making but since the goverment has stopped funding amtrak maybe the us mail might set up an agreement with amtrak too start mail service again (private investor).

Thanks for the responses guys. The motive behind my question was to find out for a friend doing a model railroad project. We were wondering if the trains ever ran with equipment painted in the Acela schemes.

-Firebert

well in the early 2000-2001 they had EXP. Boxcars and the capsone coaches in the Phase V acela if thats whats your wondering but the capstones rarely found their way out of the nec regionals but the vermonter baggage car was in a PHASE V and when they stopped a baggage service for the vermonter they took out the bike racks and used it as a baggage and found it's way across the country. Hope this helps....

Back