NE Regional

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Harper

Lead Service Attendant
Hubby and I are driving to Williamsburg VA for vacation in Sept, and while there I'd like to take the NE Regional to DC. I realize there is only one train that gets us to DC shortly after lunch, and another train that would take us back to Williamsburg the same day, but we'd only have a few hours to spend in DC.

Are the seats usually sold in advance, or would we have a good chance to get tickets at the station in Williamsburg when we're ready to go?

Also, is there anything close to the WAS station that we need to see?

To see the most of Washington between trains take a narrated trolly tour. Mrs G and I did that last yerar and really enjoyed it. The ticket office and trollies are at the station front door. The food court downstairs has a fantastic variety to choose from.

I've done the Old Town Trolley. Open air trolley cars that tours the sites of DC. They also let you get off &on, but you may be limited as far as time goes. It takes about 1 &1/2 hours IIRC & it is $35 P/P! You can buy tickets in WUS main hall and board out front.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reservations on weekends are usually not needed but for weekday trips its a very good idea to have them on the NE corridor. In either case its better to make reservations online (especially since they can always be cancelled 24 hrs in advance with no penalty)

Washington Union Station lets you off on the East end of the mall near the Capitol building. There are many buses and subways that will help you get around but if you are pressed for time they can add a 20-30 minute trip. Fine attractions like the Smithsonian Museums can be reached with a 10 minute cab ride. Across the street from the station is The National Postal Museum that is nice to see. The Air and Space museum at 7th and Independence S.W and The American History Museum at 12th street are both excellent and two of our favorites. All 19 Smithsonian Museums offer free general admission. There is so much to see in Washington D.C. that you might want to consider adding one overnight stay to your vacation.

Any tips for New Orleans? We've been there three times and are going again in early June on the Crecent. Lodging in Vieux Carre. We know the area somewhat, but are always looking for new things to see on the roads seldom traveled. We will have a Hertz car during our stay.

Reservations on weekends are usually not needed but for weekday trips its a very good idea to have them on the NE corridor. In either case its better to make reservations online (especially since they can always be cancelled 24 hrs in advance with no penalty)
That is not quite true! You can cancel up to the train's departure time without penalty, if the tickets were not yet printed!

If you go on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, you can spend a few extra hours in Washington and take one of the later trains back to Williamsburg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back