NE Regional Restroom Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BOS-T-Time

Train Attendant
Hello,

On the NE Regional trains that head past WAS and the same on the return, are the restrooms emptied in WAS or anywhere along the route other than the end points?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
...which, for the layperson, means the servicing yards outside of the stations at DC, Boston, and New York.

Never realized that a Regional would go all the way from BOS-LYH/NPN and back without emptying the tanks overnight. Same story at RVR?

The tanks are emptied in Ivy City, Southhampton, and Sunnyside. They are not emptied or refilled enroute like LD trains.

This is not true. Most outlying layover terminals, where equipment lays over and minor maintenance is done, have sewage trucks that are used to drain the tanks and they are then rewatered and chemicals added.

...which, for the layperson, means the servicing yards outside of the stations at DC, Boston, and New York.

Never realized that a Regional would go all the way from BOS-LYH/NPN and back without emptying the tanks overnight. Same story at RVR?

Especially, for example, the LYH train. As busy as this train is, there is no way those toilets could go r/t without being serviced...

The tanks are emptied in Ivy City, Southhampton, and Sunnyside. They are not emptied or refilled enroute like LD trains.

This is not true. Most outlying layover terminals, where equipment lays over and minor maintenance is done, have sewage trucks that are used to drain the tanks and they are then rewatered and chemicals added.
Regional trainsets go from say BOS-WAS Once sometimes twice a day. They will empty it at Southampton or Ivy City and then send it back for it's return. They won't fill up with water at NHV or NYP. They will empty and fill at RVR and LYH, I forgot to mention that. Not sure about NPN. One could figure they do.

Trains like the Carolinian and the Palmetto I can't say if they fill and empty. The Penny they don't.

LD trains they fill and empty along the route.

I have been along the whole route of the SWC and have never noticed them emptying the tanks. I have seen them watering the cars, but never emptying. Are you sure they empty along the route? If so, where does the SWC empty?

Regional trainsets go from say BOS-WAS Once sometimes twice a day. They will empty it at Southampton or Ivy City and then send it back for it's return. They won't fill up with water at NHV or NYP. They will empty and fill at RVR and LYH, I forgot to mention that. Not sure about NPN. One could figure they do.

Trains like the Carolinian and the Palmetto I can't say if they fill and empty. The Penny they don't.

I have personally witnessed the sewage trucks at work at RVR

Thanks for all the answers, I have been on 174 (which originates in RVR) from NYP-BOS several times in the past couple of months and noticed that on two of my trips that one of the toilets on the car I was in was closed after it no longer flushed. I was guessing that the toilet was either full or ran out of blue juice. The smell was not all that great either.

Thanks,

Happy rails!

Edited: thanks Acela150, my fault on the origination, I was thinking Richmond and typed LYH. Trying to multi-task while working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back