NB Train 92 November 9 TPA-CYN

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone!

Wow its been 8 years since I posted last on this forum! Yet I have ridden Amtrak several dozen times since then. I am currently booked on Train 92 leaving Tampa Tuesday November 9th and arriving in Cary NC on the 10th. I rode this train in March of this year in a Viewliner I roomette which was pleasant. Currently I am booked in car 9211, and as I have come to understand, is most likely a Viewliner II. If it turns out to be the case it will be the first Viewliner II experience for me. I am here nor there on having a toilet in the room but am excited to see the new II product. In March, the sleepers were lightly booked due to it still being winter and this month most people I assume will be traveling south to snowbird. Roomettes were reasonable $271. I bought some points using the recent 30% bonus, with what I already had it was only $148 actual cash out the door for me. In March, shortly after I booked I received an email about my dining choices. Never received one this time not that it is over any great concern but I did notice. I board at 5.27P dinner usually commences around 6.30P. In March my sleeper attendant came around and asked me if I wanted to eat in or in the diner. I elected at the time to eat in the diner and it allowed him to convert my room to a bed. Since it gets dark at 730PM now it seems pointless to sit upright and watch the black when I can lie down and relax and read or whatever until I fall asleep. Based on the menus off the Amtrak website I see the flexible dining choices have improved somewhat. It is not traditional dining that we all miss but the choices have expanded. Looking forward to trying the short ribs entree and the railroad french toast again in the morning, items that were not offered in March. I have never showered on the train, but I might this time just to see.

I enjoy riding this train as my mother lives in Tampa and I live in North Carolina. It leaves Tampa at 5.27P and arrives in Cary at 8.00A. It allows me to have most of the day I leave and most of the day I arrive which is convenient. I hope with the new yet to be passed but hopefully soon infrastructure bill Amtrak will eventually roll out traditional dining in the East again. I think they can continue to offer in-room dining and box meals for those that do not want the old fashioned experience. I am 41 and an early millennial and I enjoy the traditional experience.

Thanks, Craig

Back