National Timetable

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
Seeing my timetable is dated until April 30, 2009...when will the new one actually be available. The PDF on www.amtrak.com still has the one I have. Do I dare run down to Fullerton and try to pick one up?

Seeing my timetable is dated until April 30, 2009...when will the new one actually be available. The PDF on www.amtrak.com still has the one I have. Do I dare run down to Fullerton and try to pick one up?
Probably be better to take the train down to Fullerton rather than run. :p :p

The new one becomes effective May 11th. They are already printed and I was able to get my hands on one yesterday because volunteer at my station. You can try asking for one though. Just note, no NEC, Empire Service, and Keystone trains are printed in this summers timetable. It said due to on going trackwork, timetables will be printed separately and the schedules will reappear in the Fall/Winter schedule.

Some changes I've noticed: Texas Eagle arrives into Chicago before 2 PM now. Lake Shore leaves Chicago at 9 PM now. (I think most of us knew that) And Sparks, Nevada is no longer a station stop.

The new one becomes effective May 11th. They are already printed and I was able to get my hands on one yesterday because volunteer at my station. You can try asking for one though. Just note, no NEC, Empire Service, and Keystone trains are printed in this summers timetable. It said due to on going trackwork, timetables will be printed separately and the schedules will reappear in the Fall/Winter schedule.
Some changes I've noticed: Texas Eagle arrives into Chicago before 2 PM now. Lake Shore leaves Chicago at 9 PM now. (I think most of us knew that) And Sparks, Nevada is no longer a station stop.

I picked up a new one in Atlanta yesterday when I picked up my tickets for the NTD event.

You might want to run over here-- that would be better exercise than running to Fullerton.. :p :) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Cover: Amtrak Cascades has just passed the Steilacoom, Washington ferry dock on Puget Sound....."

It's an evening sunset shot. The side of the train has the reflection of the water and mountains on the side of it. At first I thought it looked like the original Talgo test color scheme. Very nice, indeed.

And Sparks, Nevada is no longer a station stop.
What happened? Did they go through the whole 180-day thing and I somehow completely missed hearing about it?
I believe the law requires the 180-day notification to take place when a locale loses service, not a station. Since Sparks is only 3 miles from Reno, it can be considered the Reno metropolitan area. Since Reno still has service, 180-day notification is not required.

It surprises me that Sparks remained a stop this long. The only reason Amtrak made Sparks a stop was for crew change and servicing. The old Reno stop was at street level and when the Zephyr stopped it blocked a bunch of major streets in downtown Reno. That being the case, Amtrak was required to make only a minimal stop at Reno. The lengthy stop to change the crews and do other assorted stuff was at Sparks.

When the Reno trench was opened, the restriction on dwell time was lifted. Amtrak moved the crew change and servicing from Sparks to Reno. With that move, Sparks, just three miles east, lacked a reason for existence. Add to that the fact that the Amtrak Sparks "station" was nothing more than a track right in the middle of a major Union Pacific yard. This added a security issue for the UP and a safety concern for the Amtrak passengers. So, the UP wanted Amtrak out, Amtrak wanted to get out, and now they're out.

It surprises me that Sparks remained a stop this long. The only reason Amtrak made Sparks a stop was for crew change and servicing. The old Reno stop was at street level and when the Zephyr stopped it blocked a bunch of major streets in downtown Reno. That being the case, Amtrak was required to make only a minimal stop at Reno. The lengthy stop to change the crews and do other assorted stuff was at Sparks.
When the Reno trench was opened, the restriction on dwell time was lifted. Amtrak moved the crew change and servicing from Sparks to Reno. With that move, Sparks, just three miles east, lacked a reason for existence. Add to that the fact that the Amtrak Sparks "station" was nothing more than a track right in the middle of a major Union Pacific yard. This added a security issue for the UP and a safety concern for the Amtrak passengers. So, the UP wanted Amtrak out, Amtrak wanted to get out, and now they're out.
Also, I doubt there are passengers who are seriously upset by the change. Even if the 180 day notification were required in this case, I sort of doubt there would be passengers screaming to their Congresspeople if that formality had been skipped.

Then again, are there statistics on how popular this stop was with riders?

Another new thing-- the LSL is stopping in Bryan, Ohio. Bryan hasn't seen Amtrak in a few years (three IIRC) and back then it saw both the CL and the LSL. It would seem that the LSL and CL no longer mirror each-other totally West of CLE.

It surprises me that Sparks remained a stop this long. The only reason Amtrak made Sparks a stop was for crew change and servicing.
Then again, are there statistics on how popular this stop was with riders?
Hardly anybody ever used it. Those few who got on or off there mostly did so by mistake... either their Tickets had been issued wrong, or they had no idea where Sparks really was.

Sad to see it go, though. I'll always remember the hours fondly spent parked in their yards hoping the Zephyr would get rolling again... only to face still worse delays atop Donner Pass due to a breakdown in the Summit Tunnel!

According to Amtrak's Nevada stat sheet (PDF), the Sparks station served 2,095 passengers (technically boardings and alightings) in 2008. Wikipedia reports this is a 24 percent increase over the past year.

It was the least-used station in Nevada (Winnemucca was second with 2,730). Reno was the most-traveled station with 69,620.

And now you know.

Another new thing-- the LSL is stopping in Bryan, Ohio. Bryan hasn't seen Amtrak in a few years (three IIRC) and back then it saw both the CL and the LSL. It would seem that the LSL and CL no longer mirror each-other totally West of CLE.

Actually, the LSL has been stopping there as per the last shedule (and I know it stopped there because I woke up in the middle of the night and saw the "Bryan, Oh" sign on the side of a lit shelter next to a spot light lit platform (and I swear I wasn't just dreaming of it).

cpamtfan-Peter

Actually, the LSL has been stopping there as per the last shedule (and I know it stopped there because I woke up in the middle of the night and saw the "Bryan, Oh" sign on the side of a lit shelter next to a spot light lit platform (and I swear I wasn't just dreaming of it).

cpamtfan-Peter
Its not on the Fall/Winter 09 reports... and it wasn't on the FY2008 report to Ohio. The CL and LSL have been passing through Bryan but they haven't been stopping there for quite some time.

Alas, that California timetable is from Spring 2008.

I haven't yet seen the new California timetable although I saw some new wallet cards for San Joaquins and Surfliner at the California State Railroad Museum during National Train Day. They have photographic covers, but the timetable appeared like the standard Amtrak grid.

Alas, that California timetable is from Spring 2008.
I am very sorry, but as I live in Europe it hasn't been 5:46 pm at the time of the post, but nearly 1am in the morning.

There's no need to be sorry. I just wanted to note that it wasn't the current Calif. timetable so there wouldn't be any confusion.

And I know what it's like to write late at night ... as I'm writing this at 3 in the morning. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back