NARP discount and booking a through trip with Acela.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BOS-T-Time

Train Attendant
Hello,

I am attempting to book a trip BOS-NYP-ATL. BOS-NYP on Acela and NYP-ATL on the Crescent with a roomette. When i attempt to book the trip using my NARP discount it disallows the discount (rightfully so) on the Acela portion. Yet it does not apply the discount to the rail fare of the NYP-ATL portion. Now when I book NYP-ATL seperate using my NARP discount it applies the appropriate discount.

Next I attempted to book BOS-NYP-ATL on the Regional in business class connecting to the Crescent with a roomette, it applied the NARP discount for the rail portion where appropriate. It seems that my only option is to book BOS-NYP on the Acela then make a seperate reservation on the Crescent NYP-ATL to get the appropriate NARP discount.

BOS-ATL-NYP NER Coach - Crescent Roomette $301.10 NARP discount applied.

BOS-ATL-NYP NER business - Crescent Roomette $337.10 NARP discount applied.

BOS-ATL-NYP Acela business - Crescent Roomette $408.00 NARP discount does not apply to both segments.

BOS-NYP Acela business $109.00 NARP discount does not apply

NYP-ATL Crescent Roomette $284.90 NARP discount applies to the rail portion.

booking BOS-NYP-ATL seperate is $393.90, which is $14.10 cheaper then booking it as a thru ticket. Should I just go ahead and book it as seperate segments? Or i might just save the money and book the NER in coach... but I was looking forward to those 500 points on Acela for a $109 fare.

BOS-T-Time

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say just book them separately.

A regional-LD or LD-regional gives a discounted fare on the regional segment, plus the NARP/AAA discount. Except for weekend travel, an Acela is never discounted. So if you want the city pair points, book separately. An agent can not help you on the discount either for the Acela, because it's -0-%!

The only reason to book through an agent is if your trying to keep the connection guaranteed by keeping it on one reservation, if that can even be done on tickets where the passenger discounts have to differ.

I would just book two reservations, I've done it before on itineraries where I've been making a connection.

One example was in August I wanted to go from Westerly to Windsor, VT. I found a 20% off discount code for the Vermonter meaning the New Haven to Windsor portion had to be booked separately from the Westerly to New Haven ticket where I could only apply my normal 10% NARP discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back