Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The easiest thing is to use the "simple" editor - click on the little light switch button on the top left so that everything else is greyed out.

Then, you can just use the URL of the picture with [ img ] tags (without the spaces).

Next station up is a little different. This picture is oriented with North up.

Overhead_Amtrak_1.png

Totally not prepared for this! Very tricky. Nice Work.

That big building with all the trucks backed in on the south side is a red herring. I think we should be focused on the little bitty rectangular Amshack looking building right by the tracks to the upper left of the big building.

Because I think that little rectangle looks like it might even back up into a retaining wall and because that taller rectangle in the upper left of the image looks an awful lot like a Holiday Inn, I'm guessing that this is Cumberland, MD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally not prepared for this! Very tricky. Nice Work.
That big building with all the trucks backed in on the south side is a red herring. I think we should be focused on the little bitty rectangular Amshack looking building right by the tracks to the upper left of the big building.

Because I think that little rectangle looks like it might even back up into a retaining wall and because that taller rectangle in the upper left of the image looks an awful lot like a Holiday Inn, I'm guessing that this is Cumberland, MD.
BRAVO, SIR!!! Very well done there. Some time before this thread was started, we had a "Name the station from space" type thread, which is what gave me the idea to switch things up a bit. I was thinking that the string of empty coal hoppers would lead people to the right part of the world, and it would work from there...

Cool -

I'm having difficulty posting another photo at the moment........the computer freezes up before giving me the box where I paste the photo 'properties'.

I'll try from my home laptop later this evening..

Cool -
I'm having difficulty posting another photo at the moment........the computer freezes up before giving me the box where I paste the photo 'properties'.

I'll try from my home laptop later this evening..
Click the light switch (top left on menu bar) and just paste the URL.

It is obviously an old photo since there are payphones and ash trays. I am guessing Sanford - but I cannot post, so you can ignore my response even if correct.

Ryan for the win!

This was the Auto-Train Station in Louisville, KY. For a brief time the Louisville Auto-Train ran combined with Amtrak's 'Floridian' between Louisville and Sanford. Then the A-T quit Louisville altogether leaving just Amtrak at the Louisville AT Station until the 'Floridian' came off in October 1979. Here's a photo of the southbound 'Floridian' arriving in Louisville after the Auto-Train was discontinued.

I find it interesting that Louisville Union Station is still a regal presence downtown but this suburban aluminum thing which was supposed to be the next big thing survives only in photos......

0053-M.jpg

Your serve Ryan!

Back