My trip to Europe with Amtrak, Luftansa, and Deutsche Bahn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaboard92

Engineer
Prologue

We booked our trip in March for Luftansa from JFK to Frankfurt on the new A380(more on that later). Round trip fare was 700ish dollars a person. We then paid an additional 200 a person for an exit row. We booked our amtrak tickets when the Silver Star restarted sleeper sales. Booked the star and used the offer to switch to the Meteor for the same price for a better departure time.

Day 1

After saying good by to the love of my life at home we drove to the Florence Amtrak station. Right before we got to the station we stopped at Longhorn for a good dinner. When we got to the station my travel partners stayed in the station. And I went to a picnic table outside to watch trains. I saw quite a few trains which is unlike my usual A Line experience of one. Apparently while I was out of the building a fight broke loose in the actual station so my partners were happy to have our sleeper while the fighters went to coach. The train was forty minutes late arriving to Florence. About fifteen minutes before it arrived the conductor scanned everyone's ticket in. Then we proceeded to wait inside for five minutes after the train arrived. We only had three minutes to board in. The ride was fairly rough all night but that's just CSX and being in room H over the trucks makes that more pronounced. We arrived in Washington about thirty minutes early. And I was really happy to see a train led by an AEM7. Never thought I would say that. We had one ACS sprinter for our power. The ride up the corridor was par the norm. Our diner am ex Southern Railway diner. Needed new shocks. At 110 I thought we might just come off the raid. But I had the French Toast. While it isn't the best it isn't the worst. The train pulled in about thirty minutes early to Penn Station. Which meant we ended leaving Penn on the LIRR at our original arrival time. The LIRR was enjoyable and new millage. I saw Sunnyside Yard for the first time ever. We had a little bit of trouble finding our hotel shuttle as he went to a different place then we were told to go to. But I chased him down. And we went to our hotel in Rockville Centere. It was a nice hotel the Executive something or other. Right next to the track. We walked back into town to eat at the Starlight Diner. And that was amazing I recommend it. Great food. Oh and track view. I spent the afternoon in Lynbrook station Railfaning. Trying to get their diesels. And I missed the only one that came by because I was on my phone. On the way back I went into Train World. That was very nice and enjoyable. I then called my fiancée for a few hours.

Day 2

We got up around ten and walked across the street to Key Foods. Which was amazing and got our food for the plane. As we don't like airline food that much. Then we went to the airport after that. And had mcdonalds for lunch in terminal one after checking in. I watched our plane come in. We went by security which wasn't bad and I talked to my fiancée while watching planes and the A train. While talking to my A Train (her nickname). We had a weird issue with the plane. It had two lines Row 1-74 left and Row 77-104ish right. We were row 75 and 76. We got to our seats and had amazing legroom. The plane left exactly on time. And with our exit row we had the stewardess facing us. And we got to know her she was super super nice. And she took amazing care of us. Took photos with a Polaroid of us and framed them. Made us feel at home. I watched one or two movies. Slept a little. And then we were down a half hour early. More to come.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442239686.599004.jpg my original train I was supposed to take. Seven hours late.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442239715.380276.jpg

Alexandria VA

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442239734.499331.jpg

98 at Washington.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442239765.567920.jpg

Our sprinter on our train.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442239788.118453.jpg

66 with an AEM7

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442239808.588449.jpg

Railroad French Toast

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442239823.922878.jpg

Somewhere in Maryland

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442239840.056185.jpg

Our train in New York Penn

TImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442240100.078323.jpg

The diner in Rockville Centere. Well worth the walk. ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442240133.416093.jpg

Inside the diner

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442240149.543801.jpg

The view from the diner

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442240169.068943.jpg

The food at the diner.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442240186.120975.jpg

LIRR at lynbrook

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442240207.838972.jpg

I didn't get the power.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442240229.357668.jpg

Terminal One

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442240244.006925.jpg

Our plane at JFK

Once we arrived at the airport we had what seemed like a mile walk from our plane to the train station. And I got separated from my partners as they stopped for breakfast and got lost. I just followed the signs and found my way. We took the next ICE train to Köln (Cologne) via Mainz and Koblenz up the Rhine. The line we rode is one of the most beautiful lines in the world. We passed so many castles along the way. The dining car crew wasn't friendly but what can you say. I was ready to pass out after Koblenz. And I did pass out I'm our hotel.

I will be upstairs on one of those Lufthansa ginats come January from Frankfurt to Delhi and back.
Where will you be going on arrival? I did the "Golden Triangle" in '08. Never to be forgotten.

Interesting report. Keep it coming :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll first fly down from DEL to Pune (PNQ) to visit my cousin. Then go to Kolkata by the Pune - Howrah Duronto Express via Daund, Manmad, Nagpur, Bhilai. Hang around Kolkata 10 or 11 days with my sister and extended family, riding around on as many local EMU routes as I can. Then take most likely my old trusted friend 12301 Howrah Rajdhani via Grand Chord to Delhi, the fly out of DEL to FRA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll first fly down from DEL to Pune (PNQ) to visit my cousin. Then go to Kolkata by the Pune - Howrah Duronto Express via Daund, Manmad, Nagpur, Bhilai. Hang around Kolkata 10 or 11 days with my sister and extended family, riding around on as many local EMU routes as I can. Then take most likely my old trusted friend 12301 Howrah Rajdhani via Grand Chord to Delhi, the fly out of DEL to FRA.
I'm envious :)

I will be in Tamil Nadu, India brielfy in June, in the early stages of a rtw; later I'll be passing through the USA in July. I intend using the trains between Chennai, Puducherry and district over a five visit.

Thank you here is the next part of the report. After I woke up in the Marriott Köln city center. I went to a late lunch/dinner at Früh. It is a wonderful place. It's right behind the Dom (cathedral) by about a block. Then I went on a major stroll. I walked around the altstadt(old town) and along some street car lines till I got to the freight bypass. I walked on the sidewalk of the freight bypass bridge over the Rhine. And walked alongside the Rhine to the Passenger bridge. Then I went to the hotel and called it a night. Picturss to come

The next day we went to Trier. We boarded an RE to Koblenz. We had an issue with a drunk passenger right after departing the main station. The conductor and the drunk went rounds with each other. When we arrived at the next station the two conductors had a time throwing him off. On his way out the drunk threw a glass bottle that hit the conductor and forced him over. As the drunk was leaving he yelled in German "I'm going to make this place kaput". When I asked the conductor why they didn't call the police he just said it was an old drunk. Not worth delaying the train for. We still arrived on time in Koblenz and boarded an RB to Trier. The Rome of the north for the Roman Empire. A short stroll takes you to the Portra Niegra or black gate. It is an old roman gate. Then we strolled around downtown. We had a nice lunch in the marketplace. After that I accidentally became a wedding crasher at the dom. Then I proceeded to tour old town. I put my feet in the Mosel. Walked by Karl Marx's birthplace. And then we caught a train up the Eifel line back to Köln. It's a line that has no freight traffic that I can see. It's very scenic. The next day is Brussels. With train trouble

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442503302.462770.jpg

The Portra Niegra

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442503321.394411.jpg

The marketplace

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442503340.412372.jpgthe main shopping street

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442503359.864051.jpg

Lunch another Schnitzel. Tour of schnitzel.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442503386.216917.jpg

The trier dom

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442503415.751953.jpg

The old town

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442503433.137036.jpg

The Mosel river and Roman Bridge.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1442503464.622938.jpg

ICE III under the dom

I'm a huge fan of touring Germany although I rarely get to visit. Did you pay more for the extra legroom on the Lufthansa flight? LH charged us $100 each for "extra legroom" for a trip in November but it's not entirely clear to me what exactly we're receiving for that money. My reservation doesn't show us in an exit row like you had.

Did you look up your seat in Seatguru? It should have pretty detailed info about what kind of seat it is and what it's pitch is.
According to seat guru we paid $200 for nothing. Then again most Seat guru information is generic boilerplate tied to ever so slightly specific floor plans that can be surprisingly hard to confirm with any certainty based on the limited information provided by the airline prior to boarding.

What plane are you flying on. I paid I want to say 150 each way. And we were row 75 and 76. 76 window seat doesn't have row 75 ahead of it. And 75 is the exit row. So you would receive way more legroom with it

The next day we went to Belgium. My travel patters wanted to sleep a little extra. I was on the 6 am train they were on the 9 am. It was an uneventful trip even though we were on detour. I had the room behind the engineer for a little bit. I found someone's passport when I was on the train. Then I wrote all of my postcards out. And had breakfast. The train dropped me off at Midi station. And I had a little bit of confusion trying to find a train for Central station. Once I got there I just wandered for three hours. I actually walked all the way to Midi via the Grand Market and several other historic sights. I had a time trying to find the central station on foot. Eventually after circling for thirty minutes I found the door. As I was catching a train I saw my travel partners ICE roll by. I made it to their side to pick them up. Then we went to lunch a block off from the market in this little place. They said it was too stuffy so they said they would open the window. And they took the whole window out. It was a really good steak too. With some really good gravy. Then we watched the Mayboom which is a festival for not paying tax on beer. And to keep beer tax free they have to plant a tree by a certain time. Then we shopped. On the return trip we had some issues. We got to midi and we tried to find our track. Our ICE was cancelled. I checked the app and DB was claiming it was canceled for just Midi but not for Nord. So we took off for Nord and got on the right track. To find out the train was canceled. Then we had a nice railroad worker help guide us and our wheelchair across several tracks without escalators. We took a freight elevator to a concourse that is worse the Penn station. Once the train finally showed it was majorly over crowded. There were no seats and I barely found a seat in first class. They didn't make announcements for the detoured passengers and we almost missed our stop. We got off and boarded a little emu that looked like the VIA RDCs. Then someone said we had to get off to get on a replacement bus. So we got off. And we're told to get back on. So we got back on. We talked to a nice few passengers. When the train arrived to Aachen we transferred to a replacement DB train made of IC stock. All first class cars. We finally made it to Köln three hours late. Didn't get dinner either as all the places shut down. Photos to come

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1443007732.493349.jpg

My train to Bruxxelles

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1443007751.589651.jpg

Random church

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1443007767.993105.jpg

I want to say this is the grand promenade

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1443007796.726531.jpg

The grand market

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1443007834.463331.jpg

Street car

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1443007852.083053.jpg

Lunch at Cafe Raphellel

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1443007873.166166.jpg

The Mayboom

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1443007891.652526.jpg

I don't know what this is.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1443007920.270181.jpg

One train passing Nord

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1443007951.507727.jpg

Another train passing nord

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1443007969.209633.jpg

Our little RDC

The next day I went to Aachen. I got up again very early around six. I spent half a day walking around. I arrived way too early for anything to be open. So I just strolled. Then I went to a a train store. The train was very nice on the way back. Even though DB cancelled it east of Köln. Photos to come.

The building where you write "I don't know what this is" is the Palais de Justice. It is home to various courts.

I'm surprised to see it is still being restored as work of some sort has been going on every time I come past it. The views from the front of the building are pretty stunning

Back