My train experience

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dn4192

Service Attendant
Well I can now say I have ridden Amtrak. Overall my experience would rate a B- overall. 2 out of the three sections of my trip went pretty well, it was just the middle overnight part that really put a crimp in the whole trip.

I was not impressed with the "superliner" I rode from Pittsburgh to Chicago on the Capital limited. A pain to get up the stairs with luggage, and not having a say in where I sat or with whom was not fun. My other two legs were very comfortable and relaxing. I took the Penn from Trenton to Pittsburgh and then the Cardinal from Chicago to Indy. Both of those were great. The boarding process in NJ was fine, but in PGH and Chicago they really need to work on it.

Overall Amtrak isn't a bad way to travel if you are not in a rush, all 3 sections of my train trip came in no later then 15-20 minutes late which was nice, but should I train in the future, I plan on avoiding the superliners if possible...

It is interesting that you did not like the superliners. Some people prefer them because the views are better (up higher).

Sorry to hear your experience on the CL was not the best....during the day you could spend time in the Sightseer-lounge car, and/or the dining car, which would give you a break from whatever may be bothering you, in addition to being a great place to view the passing countryside....If you can swing it, a roomette sleeper would give you complete privacy if you wish to have that at any time....plus all your meals are included in the dining car...I believe the CL is the only train East of Chicago that runs Superliners....the rest are viewliners....West of Chicago it is mostly Superliners....

Sorry to hear your experience on the CL was not the best....during the day you could spend time in the Sightseer-lounge car, and/or the dining car, which would give you a break from whatever may be bothering you, in addition to being a great place to view the passing countryside....If you can swing it, a roomette sleeper would give you complete privacy if you wish to have that at any time....plus all your meals are included in the dining car...I believe the CL is the only train East of Chicago that runs Superliners....the rest are viewliners....West of Chicago it is mostly Superliners....
For the most part-Superliners do run South to New Orleans, which I guess might still be considered East, and the Auto Train, which is also Superliner equipped.

I much prefer Superliner trains, myself. Mostly for the Lounge Car. The lounge/cafe's on the single level trains aren't all that great, in my opinion.

One question I have - and not just from you - is why do many people insist on taking large suitcases up and down the stairs of a Superliner?
huh.gif
And then complain about it being so tough?
huh.gif
I always leave most or all my carry on bags in the luggage rack on the lower level! The only things I bring to my seat or room are valuables like computers, cameras, purses, etc... And if in a sleeper, I find it much easier to just grab what I need for a shower or refresh from my bags in the luggage racks, and then put them back when I'm thru!

One question I have - and not just from you - is why do many people insist on taking large suitcases up and down the stairs of a Superliner?
huh.gif
huh.gif
I always leave most or all my carry on bags in the luggage rack on the lower level! The only things I bring to my seat or room are valuables like computers, cameras, purses, etc... And if in a sleeper, I find it much easier to just grab what I need for a shower or refresh from my bags in the luggage racks, and then put them back when I'm thru!
I have the same question! I don't think it's a very smart idea to lug baggage up the stairs if you have space on the lower rack or if you could have checked the bags. All I can think of is that there was no space on the lower rack.

I also like Superliners for the better view and better lounge cars and have had no trouble with the stair simply because I check as much bags as possible. I do prefer a Viewliner Roomette, though, as long as I'm not travelling with someone else cause of the toilet in the room.

huh.gif
huh.gif

My suitcase wasn't that big, it coulnd't be as I flew out and to use it as carry on it can't be. I would have loved to have left it down in the lower section but there was no room, I had no option as did no one else getting on in Pittsburgh that night.

For me a sleeper wasn't an option as it was way to expensive.

huh.gif
huh.gif
I have the same question! I don't think it's a very smart idea to lug baggage up the stairs if you have space on the lower rack or if you could have checked the bags. All I can think of is that there was no space on the lower rack.

I also like Superliners for the better view and better lounge cars and have had no trouble with the stair simply because I check as much bags as possible. I do prefer a Viewliner Roomette, though, as long as I'm not travelling with someone else cause of the toilet in the room.
Oh and the bathrooms on the superliner were alot smaller then the ones on the PENN/Cardinal trains I took. I am a big guy and fit in those without issues, not so well in the superliner car. Also on the Superliner they came on the speaker at 8am saying bfast service was now over...not once did they announce it was even open, so many were a bit grumpy even though we got into Chicage around 9am and I grabed a bite at Lou's....(which ended up not being a good choice)

Also on the Superliner they came on the speaker at 8am saying bfast service was now over...not once did they announce it was even open ...
We had that same issue on the WB Cardinal last fall with every meal. And not that the service was about to end or that the cafe was about to close, but that it was now too late.

huh.gif
huh.gif

I admit, I'm probably guilty of this, myself. :blush: I usually haul 1 mid sized case (16x10x24"), plus one Std. Airline carry on (9x14x22") (both on wheels) plus my laptop plus my GPS box. Maybe also a tiny case for my Bose QC2s. And I'm on the AT. :blink:

The reason? Simply, it's all the stuff I don't want to leave in the car, and I have more than enough space in the room for it. A lot of it is my critical diving gear (reg sets, dive computers, canister & backup lights, my dive log book, etc.)... all the expensive/irreplaceable stuff. Plus, meds, DVDs computer(laptop) accessories, etc.etc. And, since I do have the room for it, I wouldn't leave it in the luggage rack either. I'd keep it where I can keep eyes on it (most of the time - except when I'm in the dining car). I limit it to what I can carry up the stairs on my own. If I were in coach, obviously, I wouldn't be able to bring on as much.

With the exception of this last trip, I haven't had anyone question it. This one time, the Amtrak agent at the AT car check in at LOR did question if I had too much. I simply (and politely) reminded her that i was in a room by myself and had more than enough space. She questioned it no further.

Also on the Superliner they came on the speaker at 8am saying bfast service was now over...not once did they announce it was even open, ...
I agree you got a legitimate beef here; but it's a common one, having nothing to do with superliners.

I go along with the others who are surprised that you would object to superliners. Incidentally, the last time I rode a superliner coach (Cal. Zephyr), there was space just inside the lower level seating area where overflow luggage was stashed.

Usually a little planning on luggage goes a long way. Valuables and what I expect to need go carryon to my seat or berth. One soft side bag and a shoulder bag for electronics usually does it. Everything else I will check (or place in storage area if check baggage not available at one station). By checking the bags it leaves the downstair storage available for other passengers who cannot check bags.

On our last trip (pdx-ana) we opted to go coach and decided to lay over in sbo instead of a late arrival into ana. We through checked our bags which worked great (though we flustered the agent who "knew" all the bags off the train we arrived on had been picked up).

dn4192 said:
1345498653[/url]' post='388419']Also on the Superliner they came on the speaker at 8am saying bfast service was now over...not once did they announce it was even open ...
The reason is that the Dining Car opens and serves breakfast from 6:30, and no announcements are made over the PA between 11 pm and 7 am. (And it's not limited to Superliners either.) But every train I've been on, they usually make an announcement shortly after 7 (by both the Dining Car and café) that they are open and serving!

Last edited by a moderator:
I always ask the night before what the breakfast hours are -- because it varies from train to train. I also ask at breakfast what the lunch hours are, and at lunch what the dinner hours are.

This should probably go into the "tips" section, actually. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back