My First Train Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...this is all so amazing, I had no idea train travel would be such a good option. I do plan to travel light, bring some sandwiches and such along with me, and visit the dining car for a "square meal" or two. I used to drive the distance to Ft. Madison IA, but what with my diabetic issues and a bad incidence during my last trip which required me to stop driving and call my husband to come rescue me in Ohio, loved ones are now insisiting that I take the train from now on. And from what I am reading I think I have made the right choice! About the flooding cancelation concern: Does anyone else have any further insight into that? My trip has now been rescheduled for March 5th...

About flooding:

Many times the train tracks are closer to the river (both in elevation and distance) than the major roads are, and thus they sometimes will flood, resulting in cancellations.

However, unless this becomes an extremely wet winter, I can't imagine significant flooding occurring. Much of the area is in a fairly severe drought right now, so the rivers are actually drier than normal.

Pgh, you have to take the escalator or elevator up to the platform. I always check as many bags as possible when leaving Pgh. Is there a reason you don't want to check your bags from Pgh. to Chicago? This would at least enable you to take the other items on board easily, especially with a small cooler in addition to tote for laptop and or meds, necessities for overnight (I put pillow in a shopping bag, and any bottles of wine, etc. if transporting them)

Since I don't believe there is checked baggage service to FMD, you can at least pick them up in Chicago and store in a locker till ready to board the Chief. I would then, get a redcap and have him assist in boarding the chief.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Karen,

Taking the train is fun!

I travel almost exclusively in Coach and have never had a problem.

Keep your purse, electronics, and other valuables with you and you'll be just fine.

You're not a prisoner in your seat, it's so liberating to be able to walk around whenever you feel like it.

Some will tell you to always get a window seat.

As a female who travels solo, I'm going to suggest that you get/request an aisle seat so that you're not hemmed in your seat and can get up whenever you want without having to climb over someone.

You'll be able to see out just as well from the aisle and then, there's always the Sightseer Lounge.

You can bring a lot more than you think, the racks downstairs are great for storing your largest piece of luggage.

I always have a rolling bag with all of my clothing and that's what I store downstairs.

It's also easily accessible if you want to change your clothes in the restroom - the restrooms are downstairs in the same area.

You can easily bring a pillow, blanket, laptop, purse, and another carry-on.

Basically, if you can carry it yourself, you can bring it - don't stress about it, you'll see people with gigantic luggage and more.

The smaller roller bags fit in the bins above seats without a problem.

There's usually a lot of room up there as a lot of people keep a small bag with their frequently used items on the floor in front of their seat (I do).

There are usually 2 outlets at the seats so you can plug in or charge your electronics - I haven't been on a train yet with no outlets at the seats but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I always have a grounded extension cord with me so I can plug in multiple items and also because I like to sit in the aisle seat.

The first thing I do is plug in my cord.

I run it along the floor as inconspicuously as possible and put the outlet end my seat pocket so that it's not in my seatmate's way.

Take some time and explore this site and Amtrak's site.

Amtrak has a lot of information about each of the trains you'll be taking.

You can also find menus for each train too.

http://www.amtrak.co...l-limited-train

http://www.amtrak.co...est-chief-train

I take no credit for any of the following pics, I've collected them from Google image searches.

Here's what the seats in Coach look like, you can see the outlets under the window.

The seats are nice and roomy, recline, have foot and leg rests, and there's a pocket below the tray.

coachseat.jpg

reclinedcoach.jpg

You can see the luggage bins above the seats here

CZcoach.jpg

I've haven't taken the Capitol Limited yet so I'm not sure if there's a Sightseer Lounge on that train but I believe there is.

There is one on the Southwest Chief and it looks like this - btw, it's the best part of the train, for me at least.

ssl.jpg

On the lower level of the Sightseer Lounge (SSL) there's a cafe where you can buy drinks, snacks, and fast/junk food.

It's on the pricey side but convenient if you don't want to carry your own food/drinks and don't want to eat in the Dining Car.

There's booth seating on the lower level too.

cafe-1.jpg

There's also a Dining Car and you should plan on trying it at least once.

Breakfast is always a fun meal and you don't need a reservation - I love the Railroad French Toast. :wub:

Here's what a Dining Car looks like.

swcdiningcar-1.jpg

Have fun planning your trip! :)

Oh wow JonieB, thanks so much for all the info, pics, and advice! It put my mind at ease hearing from another woman who has traveled solo. Your insight was especially helpful to me, and my husband feels more at ease now too! He'll be the one putting me on the train in Pittsbugh. And thanks again to all those who pitched in as well. You all are very helpful! Guess I am just a fretful worry-wart.... From what I am reading and seeing - the train is gonna spoil me! I won't wanna drive anywhere again! :p Thank you all for such friendly and helpful advice! If anyone else has anything to add, please do. I welcome all advice and tips! And happy travels to you all!

Hi Karen,

Taking the train is fun!

I travel almost exclusively in Coach and have never had a problem.

Keep your purse, electronics, and other valuables with you and you'll be just fine.
As a single male passenger I agree with all the tips 'JoanieB' has given, and I thank her for the pix, which I'm sending on to some friends who have never traveled by train.

I'll add that on my few trips most of my fellow passengers have been quite friendly, engaging you in conversation or leaving you alone when you want to read or look out the window. I've encountered mostly families or couples, but even the single travelers seem to be great folk. And I've seen a number of women traveling alone, but the atmosphere seems to change into a 'group mentality' and folks seem to look out for each other.

That said, use the common sense you'd hopefully use anywhere. Bring a small bag to toss your valuables in when you go to the restroom, diner, or walking about. Don't tempt fate. I keep my snacks and drinks in a small bag under my feet. Just look upon your trip as an adventure.

We have gotten wimpy from taking the train. We use to drive long distances. Now if it is a hour and a half, wow, that is long:) If you go to the dining car, they will probably seat you with some other people. That can be very interesting at times.

I'm another 'newbie' hoping that I can hitch a ride on this topic. I've learned so much from this thread already! I have two questions:

1. If you leave your seat to go eat -- is it still yours or might you find someone else there when you get back?

2. I'm traveling with my 15 year old. He might prefer to be seated at the other end of the train with his head in a book the whole way, but I may need his help for health reasons and would appreciate being able to sit next to him. Will this be possible/probable? We're traveling during the holiday season on the Wolverine and the Southwest Chief. Springing for a roomette on one leg of the return trip (yay), but most portions have to be in coach.

Welcome Nembird. Take a look at JoanieB's pictures. You and your 15 yo can probably sit for a few daytime hours in the sightseer lounge and check out the cafe downstairs. Above your seat in Coach there is a seat check stub with your 3 letter destination. No one should sit in your seat while you are away from it. Your smaller carry on luggage will be on the shelf above your seats. If you have a larger bag, you can leave it on the luggage shelves near the door where you enter the bilevel car. You have a twisting staircase to get up to the coach seating. When you board, the Conductor may give you assigned seat numbers. Wait for the Conductor to collect your signed ticket and issue the seat check stub before heading to any other part of the train.

You can bring a small cooler or bag with food onto the train to save on the expense of buying food or drink on the train.

Please join the membership and introduce yourself in the pinned forum.

I'm another 'newbie' hoping that I can hitch a ride on this topic. I've learned so much from this thread already! I have two questions:

1. If you leave your seat to go eat -- is it still yours or might you find someone else there when you get back?
As Tom mentioned above, the conductor or coach attendant will issue you a "seat check" when they make their round of the coaches after departure (or, more rarely, hand it to you as you board and tell you to tuck it in the clip above your seat yourself). This small slip of paper is marked with your destination and shows that your seats are taken and also reminds the train crew where you are getting off (so that they know to wake you up if it's one of those early-early-am stations). If you want to move to another (empty) seat, first check with the train crew to make sure it's OK and then switch your seat check to the new seat.

2. I'm traveling with my 15 year old. He might prefer to be seated at the other end of the train with his head in a book the whole way, but I may need his help for health reasons and would appreciate being able to sit next to him. Will this be possible/probable? We're traveling during the holiday season on the Wolverine and the Southwest Chief. Springing for a roomette on one leg of the return trip (yay), but most portions have to be in coach.
The train crew will make every effort to seat a traveling party together, even if that means they have to ask someone else to move. That goes triple if it's a parent/child situation or if handicaps or health issues are involved. Just ask.

The train crew will make every effort to seat a traveling party together, even if that means they have to ask someone else to move. That goes triple if it's a parent/child situation or if handicaps or health issues are involved. Just ask.
On my round trip last December ABQ-SAN I moved three times to accomodate people traveling together (I was traveling alone)

It didn't bother me. It allowed me to sit alone, rather than sharing with one half of a couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back