My First Book!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtabern

Conductor
I spent the last 3 1/2 years working on a route guide book of the route of Amtrak's Hiawatha Service and Empire Builder between Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul. It tells some of the history of the towns, geology, and interesting things to look for if you are taking those trains. I think it ended up being a pretty cool project and the book turned out pretty well.

It's called "Outside the Rails: A Rail Route Guide from Chicago to St. Paul".

I am selling it for $24.99 for the book... or $9.99 for the digital download... and yes, AUF members get 5% off. If you want it autographed, I am sure I can arrange that... I'll be signing books down at National Train Day in Chicago on the private rail car display in the morning and late afternoon.

To get your copy...

http://www.lulu.com

(and type in "Outside the Rails")

Enjoy! And your feedback is welcome...

the digital download... If you want it autographed, I am sure I can arrange that
Good job Robert!
cool.gif

Just one question - How do you autograph the digital download?
huh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I wrote an epic poem while on the EB a couple years ago. It's about fifty pages long and also on LuLu. But alas I don't want to make it seem like you mus buy it... So if anybody wants a PDF I'll email it to anybody interested.

Edit

Just to be clear I mean I don't charge because it's not professional. Didn't mean for it to mean anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, Rob, but you should not stand on the tracks!!

I'm going for the download. I hope you sell many books.

I actually got special permission from CN and Amtrak for that cover shot.. and permission granted to be on the tracks and their property. It was taken back in October 2007 in Galena, IL on a special charter run.

I actually got special permission from CN and Amtrak for that cover shot.. and permission granted to be on the tracks and their property. It was taken back in October 2007 in Galena, IL on a special charter run.
Speaking of... interesting story if you buy the book and take a close look at the cover... the train is a mix of single level and double level equipment and the Great Dome #10031 is actually tacked on the back. The story with that was Amtrak promised like 12 Amfleets and Horizons for this charter trip. Well, the week before there were Talgo issues and Amtrak has to ship the cars out to the Pacific NW... and they werent sure if they would have enough cars for the charter... so what they did was put some Superliner Coaches together... threw a Transition Sleeper... then some Amfleets on. To make it up to the charter folks... they threw the Great Dome on since it was in CHI anyway going back to LAX. Pretty interesting consist.

Back