My first Amtrak trip questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pparish

Train Attendant
1 of 3. Hubby and I are going coach Chicago to New Orleans on Amtrak 3/23-3/29. I have read previous posts on which side of the train to sit on, but... I have also read that Amtrak #59 pulls out of Chicago backwards and then reverses on the track not far down the line, therefore traveling engine first to New Orleans. So if I want to be on the left side for entire trip, I should start out on the right? If I want to be on the right side for entire, I should start out on the left? I hear the train reverses close to if not right in NOLA, but by then I won't care, LOL! 2 of 2. Is the train empty in Chicago when you board, going southbound? 3 of 3. Is it usually very full? And my thoughts in closing... sounds like we take our luggage on, that there is no baggage check. That we should expect delays due to freights getting preferential treatment on the lines. That hopefully hubby will get to sit next to me, but no guarantee! That we are not to expect the best of service and that maybe the dining car is only available to Coach after sleeper/bedroom patrons have cleared out or maybe coach can use the cafe? Kind of a bummer, but I'm okay with that because of the cost savings of a coach vs. the other choices. Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

59 originates in Chicago, so that is the first place passengers will board.

The train does back out to get on the former Illinois Central going the right direction. Chicago Union Station wasn't laid out with the IC in mind, since IC didn't use it back in the day.

You and your spouse will be able to sit together.

Checked baggage is available between Chicago and New Orleans on the City of New Orleans. You can check bags to New Orleans if you want to. Many if not most smaller stations do not offer checked baggage, but both Chicago and New Orleans do. Note that checked baggage must be in Amtrak’s hands 45 minutes before departure. That doesn't mean standing in line waiting to check it at 45 minutes.

The City of New Orleans still only offers a form of "Flex" dining (reheated frozen meals), not traditional dining, so only sleeper passengers get it. You will not be missing much.

I haven't been on that train, but I think it uses Amfleet coaches, and all the seats will be facing in the same direction. The seats would be facing in the direction of travel when the train gets onto the main line. So if you want to sit on the left, you should take a seat on the left relative to the way the seats are facing, not the right.

Someone please correct if I'm mistaken.

The train does back out to get on the former Illinois Central going the right direction. Chicago Union Station wasn't laid out with the IC in mind, since IC didn't use it back in the day.

Checked baggage is available between Chicago and New Orleans on the City of New Orleans. You can check bags to New Orleans if you want to. Many if not most smaller stations do not offer checked baggage, but both Chicago and New Orleans do. Note that checked baggage must be in Amtrak’s hands 45 minutes before departure. That doesn't mean standing in line waiting to check it at 45 minutes.

The City of New Orleans still only offers a form of "Flex" dining (reheated frozen meals), not traditional dining, so only sleeper passengers get it. You will not be missing much.
The CONO dosent even have flex meals right now (no dining car, again). Sleeper passengers are simply given their choice at the cafe menu.

Thank you for the info

I haven't been on that train, but I think it uses Amfleet coaches, and all the seats will be facing in the same direction. The seats would be facing in the direction of travel when the train gets onto the main line. So if you want to sit on the left, you should take a seat on the left relative to the way the seats are facing, not the right.

Thanks. I will also pay attention as to whether we walk past the engine, as we board, to choose which side to sit!

The CONO dosent even have flex meals right now (no dining car, again). Sleeper passengers are simply given their choice at the cafe menu.
Well, a lot of the time cafe items are better than Flex anyway, so no great loss. Plus, if there is only going to be one, I'd rather have a Sightseer than a Diner/Lounge.

Just goes to show what a mess Amtrak equipment management is, though.

CONO is Superliner, not Amfleet. They turn the train, it isn't operated push-pull. All seats face direction of travel, backup moves notwithstanding.

At first I had difficulty pronouncing Na-orelin. Ha ha. I keep using proper diction and still say “New Orleans” - it was by FAR my favorite of 2022’s 11,744 miles I travelled - mostly in an Amtrak Coach.

The AU forem as you can see is very helpful - I think staying in the French Quarter (suggested in the AU) - the best - my place was a block from Louie Armstrong Park. Learn how to “search” Amtrak Unlimited - especially what the Cafe has to offer - both salads go fast and might sell out - Mac and cheese and tamale made a good filling meal … but wait … your going to the food capital of the USA!

I hope you have good weather and a nice trip!

At first I had difficulty pronouncing Na-orelin. Ha ha. I keep using proper diction and still say “New Orleans” - it was by FAR my favorite of 2022’s 11,744 miles I travelled - mostly in an Amtrak Coach.

The AU forem as you can see is very helpful - I think staying in the French Quarter (suggested in the AU) - the best - my place was a block from Louie Armstrong Park. Learn how to “search” Amtrak Unlimited - especially what the Cafe has to offer - both salads go fast and might sell out - Mac and cheese and tamale made a good filling meal … but wait … your going to the food capital of the USA!

I hope you have good weather and a nice trip!

I have always pronounced it "Nor-lins". My hubby and I are born and raised in Illinois, about an hour southwest of Chicago and this trip is to celebrate my 65th birthday and joining Medicare, ha ha! Right now we are discussing changing from coach to a roomette. Hubby is 73. The kids are grown, 4 grandchildren later and it's about us now. We both retired this year after a combined 100 years working full time! We are checking off the bucket list items, finally. Each vacation ends with us sending a pic of us to our 3 grown children and grandchildren saying "We love ya all, but we aren't coming back home" LOL!

I have always pronounced it "Nor-lins". My hubby and I are born and raised in Illinois, about an hour southwest of Chicago and this trip is to celebrate my 65th birthday and joining Medicare, ha ha! Right now we are discussing changing from coach to a roomette. Hubby is 73. The kids are grown, 4 grandchildren later and it's about us now. We both retired this year after a combined 100 years working full time! We are checking off the bucket list items, finally. Each vacation ends with us sending a pic of us to our 3 grown children and grandchildren saying "We love ya all, but we aren't coming back home" LOL!
We might be "almost neighbors" as we live an hour W of Chicago in Aurora. We're in a similar situation of both of us finally being retired and planning a bucket list trip. Hubby has been talking about wanting to do a LD train West for over 20 years. I'm more of a cruise person myself, but I'm down for a new adventure. We're doing the RT loop of EB to Seattle, CS to San Francisco, and CZ back home to Chicago in June. Hope you enjoy your upcoming trip and tell us all about it!

We might be "almost neighbors" as we live an hour W of Chicago in Aurora. We're in a similar situation of both of us finally being retired and planning a bucket list trip. Hubby has been talking about wanting to do a LD train West for over 20 years. I'm more of a cruise person myself, but I'm down for a new adventure. We're doing the RT loop of EB to Seattle, CS to San Francisco, and CZ back home to Chicago in June. Hope you enjoy your upcoming trip and tell us all about it!
We are neighbors! We live in far west Aurora, off of Orchard Rd.

If you do choose a roomette instead of coach, be aware that the berths in the roomette are bunk beds. Either you or hubby will have to climb into the top bunk to sleep. At 73 and 65, this might pose an issue. You can book two roomettes if available, but that would obviously add to the expense of the trip (even 1 isn’t cheap). If climbing into the top bunk will be problematic for you, you might want to stay with coach unless you can afford two roomettes

The cafe service is, uh, ok. The sandwiches are usually decent, the burgers aren't. Frankly, the best quality item (aside from the beer) is often the cheese tray. You won't starve, but there is also no reason not to bring your favorite transportable food with you. Try not to bring anything with a strong odor! One of my go-to's for coach trips is a tray of sushi, either supermarket or from your local sushi restaurant. It will usually keep for one day. You can also bring your own favorite sandwiches, either from home or shop-made. You can also bring unlimited non-alcoholic beverages, saving a lot. If you walk up and down your coach car you will see families with all sorts of creative meals. In a pinch you can bring a tiny ice chest to keep drinks cool. Some cafe attendants will give you a cup of ice, or perhaps two if you order a can of soda.

You'll love the reasonably comfortable seats and the great views from the sightseer lounge. Enjoy!

Another option I've done several times is to have a pizza or other food delivered to the train. I've found that local pizza places near the station will often coordinate a delivery if you have a sense of humor and promise a nice tip. I would work with a place that has its own drivers, not third party companies. You call an hour ahead and then call when you are 10 minutes out. I'm not sure I'd eat fresh pizza at my seat but it works great in the lounge car.

Last edited:
If you do choose a roomette instead of coach, be aware that the berths in the roomette are bunk beds. Either you or hubby will have to climb into the top bunk to sleep. At 73 and 65, this might pose an issue. You can book two roomettes if available, but that would obviously add to the expense of the trip (even 1 isn’t cheap). If climbing into the top bunk will be problematic for you, you might want to stay with coach unless you can afford two roomettes
I have given myself till tomorrow to decide which to book! Hubby is in good health for 73 and would be able to make the climb onto the upper berth with far less grunts and groans and possible injury (ha ha) than myself.

Re the top bunk in a roomette I would add this.

On the western trains there is not a lot of headroom in the top bunk, ok if you want to just slide in and fall asleep immediately. Eastern trains are a little better. I don't know if the 59 is an eastern or western train.
I am not tall or overweight, probably still described as nimble, but would prefer not to sleep in the top bunk. If there was a way to afford 2 roomettes opposite each other it would increse your enjoyment of sleeper train travel by at least two fold.

Personal opinion only but 2 x roomette or bedroom, we would take 2 x roomette.

As it's your first retirement celebration event I would try to push the boat out on your first trip, that is the one you will always remember.

It will also give you the opportunity to decide if you could handle usining a roomette with two people, and also you can take a look at coach while onboard.

However you travel you are in for a treat, nothing like Amtrak travel anywhere, especially with New Orelans as the destination.

Re the top bunk in a roomette I would add this.

On the western trains there is not a lot of headroom in the top bunk, ok if you want to just slide in and fall asleep immediately. Eastern trains are a little better. I don't know if the 59 is an eastern or western train.
I am not tall or overweight, probably still described as nimble, but would prefer not to sleep in the top bunk. If there was a way to afford 2 roomettes opposite each other it would increse your enjoyment of sleeper train travel by at least two fold.

Personal opinion only but 2 x roomette or bedroom, we would take 2 x roomette.

As it's your first retirement celebration event I would try to push the boat out on your first trip, that is the one you will always remember.

It will also give you the opportunity to decide if you could handle usining a roomette with two people, and also you can take a look at coach while onboard.

However you travel you are in for a treat, nothing like Amtrak travel anywhere, especially with New Orelans as the destination.
Thank you for the insight. 58/59 are the trains operating Chicago to NOLA. So we will go east then west coming home to the midwest. I was about to ask why you would choose 2 roomettes over one bedroom? The roomettes are $84 less, but don't allow hubby and I to be in the same room that has a shower and restroom. After 45 years of marriage... I have no problem him being opposite me in his own roomette (BIG LOL on that one), but just comparing and I would go for the $84 more for the bedroom. What are anyones thoughts on this?

Thank you to everyone so far for their expert advice. Recap: Just retired. I'm 65, hubby is 73. It's our 1st Amtrak trip from Chicago to New Orleans. He could get into the top bunk of a roomette, but after everyone's help, I am now thinking of booking a bedroom, BUT... a great point was brought up and I would like anyone's opinion. Why would you would choose 2 roomettes over one bedroom? The roomettes are $84 less, but don't allow hubby and I to be in the same room that has a shower and restroom. After 45 years of marriage... I have no problem him being opposite me in his own roomette (big LOL on that one), but just comparing and I would go for the $84 more for the bedroom. What are anyones thoughts on this? Is it because hubby would still have to climb up onto a bunk and we could get photos from both sides?

Personally I think roomettes are great for single occupancy but can be rather tight for double occupancy. I have travelled with my OH in two facing roomettes and we would sit in the same roomette during daytime (changing sides depending on where the scenery was most interesting) but each sleep in our own. But this was only in cases where a bedroom would have been unreasonably more costly. If the price difference to a bedroom is reasonable I would go for it.

In this case, it is a matter of personal preference. The Bedrooms on that train are relatively cheap. On the other long-distance superliner trips the cost of two roomettes in many cases is significantly cheaper than a bedroom. There are 14 roomettes in each car vs 5 (IIRC) bedrooms plus a family room and a handicap room. So there is a better chance at getting two roomettes at a cheaper price than a bedroom.

Personally I think roomettes are great for single occupancy but can be rather tight for double occupancy. I have travelled with my OH in two facing roomettes and we would sit in the same roomette during daytime (changing sides depending on where the scenery was most interesting) but each sleep in our own. But this was only in cases where a bedroom would have been unreasonably more costly. If the price difference to a bedroom is reasonable I would go for it.
I think we have decided to go with 2 roomettes. I will verify with travel agent tomorrow morning that they are indeed across from each other, unless that is a given when you put in the number 2 in quantity when booking online. We have no issue using bathroom and shower in the same car as the other roomettes.

You will have more daytime social space in a bedroom, no doubt, but with a roomette in day mode there is plenty of room in 1 roomette for 2.
The sleeper public shower rooms are pretty good, as are the restrooms, most car attendants tend to keep those areas clean and well provided with towls etc.
I did say that it was only our preference though, many will think the opposite.

Sorry for confusing the trains and your route, writing this on the road.

You will have more daytime social space in a bedroom, no doubt, but with a roomette in day mode there is plenty of room in 1 roomette for 2.
The sleeper public shower rooms are pretty good, as are the restrooms, most car attendants tend to keep those areas clean and well provided with towls etc.
I did say that it was only our preference though, many will think the opposite.

Sorry for confusing the trains and your route, writing this on the road.
I really appreciate your feedback. It it helping my hubby and I to make a good decision for us.

Back