My credit is horrible, will Amtrak still hire me?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rochelle

I know that Amtrak does drug screening, physical, criminal and employment background check and that fine. But my credit is very bad will they still hire me? What if i file for bankruptcy?

I know that Amtrak does drug screening, physical, criminal and employment background check and that fine. But my credit is very bad will they still hire me? What if i file for bankruptcy?

As far as I can remember, Amtrak only uses a credit report if one has applied for a position involving the financial aspects of the business. You would need to confirm this with an HR rep. But anyway, they never pulled a credit report for me back when I hired out. But I hired out as a service attendant (waiter) in the diner. However, LSAs (lead service attendants), conductors, several management positions require the company to pull a credit report. But remember it is only a tool they may use in the application process (and BTW they must have you sign off on it as they need your permission to do so)! But keeping in mind the information in a credit report, bad credit will most likely eliminate you from consideration for any position involving finances. But it doesn't hurt to at least try, and there are always those other positions which may not require a credit report. I was furloughed from Amtrak in 2006, and hired out with CSX later that year. CSX indeed pulled my credit report for this position I am in now.

You mentioned bankruptcy. A few things to keep in mind. First, you must take into account the level (chapter 11, etc) of bakruptcy you file depending on the laws of your state. Second, the actual timing of your bankruptcy compared to how delinquent your may be with your bills. Thirdly, how well you manage your financial affairs after the bankruptcy is settled is a big matter, too.

Of course your decision should be based on the sound advice of a lawyer. He/she should be able to give you some idea of how your current situation may affect an employment decision by an employer such as Amtrak. Good luck...

OBS gone freight....

Someone told me that railroaders have the highest alimony payments of any occupation. Anyway, I doubt many people these days have great credit, given the economy. It really would depend on what the position is and how you got into the mess you're in.7

As far as I can remember, Amtrak only uses a credit report if one has applied for a position involving the financial aspects of the business. You would need to confirm this with an HR rep. But anyway, they never pulled a credit report for me back when I hired out. But I hired out as a service attendant (waiter) in the diner. However, LSAs (lead service attendants), conductors, several management positions require the company to pull a credit report. But remember it is only a tool they may use in the application process (and BTW they must have you sign off on it as they need your permission to do so)! But keeping in mind the information in a credit report, bad credit will most likely eliminate you from consideration for any position involving finances. But it doesn't hurt to at least try, and there are always those other positions which may not require a credit report. I was furloughed from Amtrak in 2006, and hired out with CSX later that year. CSX indeed pulled my credit report for this position I am in now.

You mentioned bankruptcy. A few things to keep in mind. First, you must take into account the level (chapter 11, etc) of bakruptcy you file depending on the laws of your state. Second, the actual timing of your bankruptcy compared to how delinquent your may be with your bills. Thirdly, how well you manage your financial affairs after the bankruptcy is settled is a big matter, too.

Of course your decision should be based on the sound advice of a lawyer. He/she should be able to give you some idea of how your current situation may affect an employment decision by an employer such as Amtrak. Good luck...

OBS gone freight....
Hey OBS gone freight! I worked for CSXT for five years down in Jax! Not *exactly* the railroad, but it was fun anyway. Loved going up to Waycross and watching them sort! Whatsya do for CSX?

Hey OBS gone freight! I worked for CSXT for five years down in Jax! Not *exactly* the railroad, but it was fun anyway. Loved going up to Waycross and watching them sort! Whatsya do for CSX?

Hey there RobertF, I sent you a reply via private message. Yep Waycross is something in itself, isn't it? Even better now since they have the new rail alignment up and running.

OBS gone freight....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back