My apologies

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter L. Reid

Train Attendant
May I apologise for posting comments on this forum, without first introducing myself. I neglected to read there was a section for introductions.

I am from Australia, and have travelled a fair bit on Amtrak over the last 3 or 4 years. I'm booked again to travel from LA tot Seattle/Seattle to Chicago

next May. Then Chicago to NO/NO to LA. My reasons for enjoying Amtrak over Australian Rail, are basically, scenery. Coming from the flat

land I live in, to the mountains of the US is mind boggling. Don't get me wrong I love Australia and wouldn't live anywhere else, but we are a bit

bereft of high hills. The best we can manage is 7238ft.

Please bare with me, I'm still on a learning curve at 65 when it comes to social media.

May I apologise for posting comments on this forum, without first introducing myself. I neglected to read there was a section for introductions.

I am from Australia, and have travelled a fair bit on Amtrak over the last 3 or 4 years. I'm booked again to travel from LA tot Seattle/Seattle to Chicago

next May. Then Chicago to NO/NO to LA. My reasons for enjoying Amtrak over Australian Rail, are basically, scenery. Coming from the flat

land I live in, to the mountains of the US is mind boggling. Don't get me wrong I love Australia and wouldn't live anywhere else, but we are a bit

Please bare with me, I'm still on a learning curve at 65 when it comes to social media.
Hi Peter, I'm pleased to see another Aussie on this forum, and even more pleased to hear that you are an experienced Amtrak traveler which tells me that you have obviously enjoyed your past journeys.

My wife and I will take our first Amtrak journey in March next year we are doing Los Angeles to San Francisco, San Francisco to Chicago, Chicago to Washington and Washington to New York to connect to a cruise ship which will bring us back to Los Angeles via the Panama Canal. We are certainly looking forward to seeing some of that beautiful scenery that you mentioned.

The people on this forum are very friendly and are a great source of information, especially for Amtrak newbies like me.

Garry :lol:

Don't worry about it. I started posting without an official introduction. In fact, I don't think I've ever posted one.
blush.gif
They let me stick around, though.

I'm glad you've enjoyed your trips to America. I've never been to Australia, but I'd love to go some day. I think it would be fun to go when the seasons are "backwards". I've never experienced a cold summer.

Don't worry about it. I started posting without an official introduction. In fact, I don't think I've ever posted one.
blush.gif
They let me stick around, though.

I'm glad you've enjoyed your trips to America. I've never been to Australia, but I'd love to go some day. I think it would be fun to go when the seasons are "backwards". I've never experienced a cold summer.

It can be a shock though to leave the USA, at 114F at the base of the Grand Canyon, and get back to Melbourne to 32F or less 24 hours later.

Hi Peter, I'm pleased to see another Aussie on this forum, and even more pleased to hear that you are an experienced Amtrak traveler which tells me that you have obviously enjoyed your past journeys.

My wife and I will take our first Amtrak journey in March next year we are doing Los Angeles to San Francisco, San Francisco to Chicago, Chicago to Washington and Washington to New York to connect to a cruise ship which will bring us back to Los Angeles via the Panama Canal. We are certainly looking forward to seeing some of that beautiful scenery that you mentioned.

The people on this forum are very friendly and are a great source of information, especially for Amtrak newbies like me.

You are correct in that Garry. Some of the information I have gleaned in the short time I've been on here has been great. Information sites on fares, routes etc.

Welcome to AU. We are always happy to have members from Australia.

Glad you have enjoyed some Amtrak trip in the USA and hope you have

many more.

I'm a newbie also although I've travelled by train my entire life. Living in Florida is certainly flat so I am looking forward to the Coast Starlight and Cal Zephyr this month. May should be a nice time of year to visit the States also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garry, you're trip sounds fantastic. We're going from LA to Emeryville on the CS, then on to Chicago this month, laying over in San Luis Obispo so we can go to the Hearst Mansion again at San Simeon. I'll post about our journey as we progress.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garry, you're trip sounds fantastic. We're going from LA to Emeryville on the CS, then on to Chicago this month, laying over in San Luis Obispo so we can go to the Hearst Mansion again at San Simeon. I'll post about our journey as we progress.
Hi August West,

We will take the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Oakland (San Francisco) The Californian Zephyr from Emeryville to Chicago, the Capitol Limited from Chicago to Washington and the North East Regional from Washington to New York.

Looking forward to reading about your journey.

Back