My Annual Train Rides - Last Part

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that must be a standard reply. they have it ready and then whenever a complant comes in they just copy and paste and send. maybe you should call instead. or write(pen a paper).
Except that he didn't just complain. His email was largely positive talking about several good employees and only one bad employee.
And, I wasn't asking for anything. Only reporting what I saw. I have no reason to call them since I wrote a very detailed email.

Tom,

I finally go time to read your report! A very good one,as always. I believe we had Debra in May 08. Nuff said.

GregL

And, in today's mail I received the standard questionnaire from Amtrak using the 1 - 10 scale on satisfaction. I completed it and sent it back along with a written copy of the email I had sent them.

Do they use a private company in Toledo to handle these surveys? That's where the return envelope is addressed.

I received a call from Amtrak Customer Relations last night.

They wanted to follow up on my email and survey about the horrid CCC attendant we had on the CONO northbound back in June.

I once again explained what I saw happening, or not happening and the rep seemed to be making notes.

Maybe they have been getting other complaints and are preparing their case to do something about it.

We can only hope.

I thought it was good that they called back and expressed interest in the problem, at least.

I received a call from Amtrak Customer Relations last night.
They wanted to follow up on my email and survey about the horrid CCC attendant we had on the CONO northbound back in June.

I once again explained what I saw happening, or not happening and the rep seemed to be making notes.

Maybe they have been getting other complaints and are preparing their case to do something about it.

We can only hope.

I thought it was good that they called back and expressed interest in the problem, at least.
Thanks for the info Tom. Even though it took 3 months, it looks like Amtrak is following through, I too received a similiar call from a previous trip on this train where a SCA gave similiar "service". Its encouraging to know,however slowly the wheels grind, that ACR is following up on complaints/concerns!

However Ive yet to receive any follow up when I complemented OBS for superior service!Perhaps they just note it in the employees record and let them know that pax are complementing them? Hope so! Also hope the lazy,rude and incompetent ones that OCASSIONALLY show up are being disciplined/retrained and or dismissed as warranted!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I took the CONO on my trip last month, Debra was the CCC attendant. Either this was a different Debra or she must have gotten the message, because she was very attentive and did her job very well. It was as if, however, she had to force herself to be pleasant, but as far as competence, she did great. I hope it was the same one and she had gotten some bad feedback and had changed her ways. We got very good service from her. Maybe this was a positive result from complaints to Amtrak. One can always hope! :)

Really enjoyed your report. It was great. Good pictures, videos and great accounting of your trip! Thanks for providing it.

Until I read the post with pictures and videos--I missed the fact that you flew from/to Indy/ Chicago via Detroit! Hats off to your adventurous spirit. No disrespect intended--but I'm not sure I would have made that trip--even if the fare was free!

I live in w central Indiana and my wife& I make several pleasure trips a year to Chicago--this is what we do: we drive to University Park, Il which is the southern terminus of Metra's Electric line. It's my understanding that this station is one of very few that allows overnight parking--for which they currently charge $1.25 per twelve hour period--an incredible bargain compared to $40+/night downtown hotels currently charge + makes the last hour of the trip relaxing and eliminates fighting the traffic! Current fare is $5.05 each way. Either downtown station would be walkable to CUS. Not sure how Metra would feel about long term parking--but we've stayed as long as 4 days before--no problem. The University Park station is in a pretty much rural area and parking lots are abundant and well lighted--it seems very safe to me. We've done this 7 times and never had a problem with the car.

Just wanted to toss that out there---you've probably considered this option yourself.

Again thanks for the great report!

Really enjoyed your report. It was great. Good pictures, videos and great accounting of your trip! Thanks for providing it.
Until I read the post with pictures and videos--I missed the fact that you flew from/to Indy/ Chicago via Detroit! Hats off to your adventurous spirit. No disrespect intended--but I'm not sure I would have made that trip--even if the fare was free!

I live in w central Indiana and my wife& I make several pleasure trips a year to Chicago--this is what we do: we drive to University Park, IL which is the southern terminus of Metra's Electric line. It's my understanding that this station is one of very few that allows overnight parking--for which they currently charge $1.25 per twelve hour period--an incredible bargain compared to $40+/night downtown hotels currently charge + makes the last hour of the trip relaxing and eliminates fighting the traffic! Current fare is $5.05 each way. Either downtown station would be walkable to CUS. Not sure how Metra would feel about long term parking--but we've stayed as long as 4 days before--no problem. The University Park station is in a pretty much rural area and parking lots are abundant and well lighted--it seems very safe to me. We've done this 7 times and never had a problem with the car.

Just wanted to toss that out there---you've probably considered this option yourself.

Again thanks for the great report!
Well - I would have loved to have taken the train from IND to CHI, but my wife was also flying to a Michigan destination and she wasn't comfortable changing planes in Detroit, so we both flew that far together, I got her on her next plane and then I went to CHI (ORD) and we did the reverse coming back. Both legs under and hour, I think, so tolerable.

But thanks for the University Park tip - I'll have to keep that in mind!

In the never ending story of this trip, even though I didn't ask for compensation for the poor service I received on the CONO north bound leg, Amtrak sent me a $25 voucher today. Guess they want to make sure I'm a happy camper. The letter says, "We hope you will try Amtrak again in the future."

I think I will, probably next month going to and from Boston for The Gathering.

In the never ending story of this trip, even though I didn't ask for compensation for the poor service I received on the CONO north bound leg, Amtrak sent me a $25 voucher today. Guess they want to make sure I'm a happy camper. The letter says, "We hope you will try Amtrak again in the future."
Since Ive never received a voucher from Amtrak, are these only good for railfare or can you use them in the diner or cafe car? If so how bout having a Sam Adams or a bottle of wine to celebrate the trip to the gathering, wish I was going! :(

Since Ive never received a voucher from Amtrak, are these only good for railfare or can you use them in the diner or café car? If so how bout having a Sam Adams or a bottle of wine to celebrate the trip to the gathering, wish I was going! :(
This one says it is only good for future rail travel and has to be used with an agent. Be nice if I could spend it on the train to Boston. There will be 6-7 of us on the same train next month and I could help buy a round, or at least a coffee.

Tom, great trip report. I just haven't had the time to "sit" and go through AU with a fine toothed comb. Now that the Singles Trip is a distant memory, I should have alot more time to read (and reply) on AU. I just found out my nephew is moving to NO. Guess whats going through my mind right now? Animal House style: Road trip! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back