MSNBC Article - Train from Hell

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As some posters have already pointed out, some rough couple of days for Amtrak.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34769488/ns/travel-news/
Ya, the weather has been brutal across the northern plains. Temps in the -20s and -30s! Looks like things are going to moderate later this weekend and next week looks to be much better with temps considerably warmer. Hopefully that will help Amtrak get things back on track. It's unfortunate things were so bad, but I'm not sure what Amtrak could have done in this situation...if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere, well, you are stuck in the middle of nowhere.

In reading the passenger complaints, perhaps the most disconcerting is that they felt that the on board staff did not keep them informed. This seems to be a common theme on this board. Do on board staff receive any kind of "customer service" training? Or is being rude and inconsiderate requirements of the union contract?

In reading the passenger complaints, perhaps the most disconcerting is that they felt that the on board staff did not keep them informed. This seems to be a common theme on this board. Do on board staff receive any kind of "customer service" training? Or is being rude and inconsiderate requirements of the union contract?
Pastor Dave

I take offense to your anti-union comment, as a union member for 42 years and representing Amtrak employees(not OBS, but have worked with them) for 25+ years.

All OBS employees do receive "customer service training" the problem seems to be that our society demands instant gratification. They have to have an answer now even if there is not an answer at that point in time.

If passengers need to be bussed it is not a simple wave of a magic wand and the busses just appear right next to the train. It takes time for arrangements to be made. In one recent example the BNSF sent 2 engines to pull a train out of o two story drift that was on the BNSF tracks, this took time to prepare the engines, get a crew and arrive at the scene. Then the crews of the two trains had to coordinate as safe move. The engines were then added to the front of the Amtrak train only to get stock again. So the whole procedure was done again with another BNSF rescue engine.

I am sure that if you were a Conductor, LSA, or coach attendant that is just as stuck on that train you might lose your patience after being asked and some times screamed at many, many time "When are we going to move?"

This might even test the patience of Job.

You nailed it. Union = lifelong job, = "I don't give a sh** attitude. Want to REALLY **** off your union rep? Ask him how you can NOT pay union dues, and still work in the craft. TRAITOR!

Like EVERYTHING else, it is the few crappy employees who ruin the reputation for the whole union(s).

I know that there are MORE good, honest, caring employees employed by Amtrak, than rotten ones. Problem is, the public rarely gives kudos to the good ones, and the rotten ones ALWAYS make the news..........

Pastor Dave

I take offense to your anti-union comment, as a union member for 42 years and representing Amtrak employees(not OBS, but have worked with them) for 25+ years.

All OBS employees do receive "customer service training" the problem seems to be that our society demands instant gratification. They have to have an answer now even if there is not an answer at that point in time.

If passengers need to be bussed it is not a simple wave of a magic wand and the busses just appear right next to the train. It takes time for arrangements to be made. In one recent example the BNSF sent 2 engines to pull a train out of o two story drift that was on the BNSF tracks, this took time to prepare the engines, get a crew and arrive at the scene. Then the crews of the two trains had to coordinate as safe move. The engines were then added to the front of the Amtrak train only to get stock again. So the whole procedure was done again with another BNSF rescue engine.

I am sure that if you were a Conductor, LSA, or coach attendant that is just as stuck on that train you might lose your patience after being asked and some times screamed at many, many time "When are we going to move?"

This might even test the patience of Job.
fine but how do you explain employees who are ****s right from the start of the trip when everything goes right and there still ****s like anything you ask is a hassle for them or sleeping car attendants that you never ever see. how do you explain them HMMMMMMM. union members seam to be more rude cause no mater what they do amtrak can't fire them so they can get away with it.

Since I don't usually have a strong opinion about anything :lol: , I thought I would weigh in on this one:

1) It's not just Amtrak_people are stranded @ bus stations, truck drivers out on frozen roads, I'd much rather be on a train than sitting in an airport for 24 hrs. like lots of folks! One of the problems about communications is that there are lots of dead spots where LD trains run and OBS cant get info! I'll have to say that Amtrak can and should do a better job of getting out Correct info to staff and pax, but lots of times WE, as pax, know more than the OBS do than ks to scanners, lap tops, miracle phones etc.

2)Its not a Union thing, dont be one of those people who says "Dont confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up!" Big shots and non-union employees (the overwhelming majority now-a-days in this country) can be real a******s and make huge mistakes and nothing happens (for example the Bush administration!!), contrary to popular belief union memebers are disciplined, terminated and even prosecuted in some instances! Amtrak Customer Relations does a great job IMO, they have been overwhelmed and Sensational media stories by tabloid journalists (most now days seems like) and

stories and lies by know nothings dont solve the problem! :angry:

You can feel what you want to about Unions but if it wasnt for them youd probably be working 6-7 days a week, 12-16 hours a day with no benefits,

and working along side children and probably making $25 a week like third world workers! You could look it up, it happened here until Unions helped the workers get some diginity and a good living from the robber barons and greed merchants! :p

If you werent there don t pretend to know what's happening, walk a mile in their shoes as the saying goes! Tip of the hat to all OBS/Amtrak and Host rail employees and to the pax suffering ON A TRAIN!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
fine but how do you explain employees who are ****s right from the start of the trip when everything goes right and there still ****s like anything you ask is a hassle for them or sleeping car attendants that you never ever see. how do you explain them HMMMMMMM. union members seam to be more rude cause no mater what they do amtrak can't fire them so they can get away with it.
Some people are just @$$hats, it doesn't take a union to make them so. On the contrary, some people are dedicated hard workers, joining a union doesn't automagically make them into the kind of worker that you describe.

You nailed it. Union = lifelong job, = "I don't give a sh** attitude. Want to REALLY **** off your union rep? Ask him how you can NOT pay union dues, and still work in the craft. TRAITOR!

Like EVERYTHING else, it is the few crappy employees who ruin the reputation for the whole union(s).

I know that there are MORE good, honest, caring employees employed by Amtrak, than rotten ones. Problem is, the public rarely gives kudos to the good ones, and the rotten ones ALWAYS make the news..........
As I stated in an above post I had been a union representative for a major Amtrak craft union for 25 years. I have represented employees in hundreds of company investigations and I can tell you that "Union = lifelong job, = "I don't give a sh** attitude." is wrong.

Alot of bad employees are terminated, and justifiably so. Yes those words came from a union man. The bad apples that you hear about that get their jobs back are the ones where the procedure was flawed by Amtrak Management as they are the prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner. It is only after the second appeal that a true impartial person (not an Amtrak Manager) reviews the case record.

So if a mistake in the whole procedure was made, the person is returned to service and made whole for their losses. Sometimes if the discipline assessed was too severe on review the discipline is mitigated. IE the first offense of a long term employee that was truly not worthy of a termination may be reduced to a 30 working day suspension (much longer then a month as it is working days), the employee is also returned with some pay as the procedure is long and drawn out. By the way any unemployment that was received by the employee must be repaid to the Railroad Retirement Board.

As a representative of a union I was legally bound to proved the representation even for the bad apples. I viewed my duty as as not fighting for a "bad apple" as much as fighting Amtrak's management incompetence.

I can cite as an example were the who procedure was done in violation of the contract, i n the investigation and both appeals this was pointed out specifically and because this employee was a target they pressed on regardless. The person was reinstated with $17,000+ pay. There real kick in the rear for me was that the person not only did not thank me but came to complain that the back pay amount was $6.00 short.

You are so right. AMTRAK agreed to a contract that does not require staff to be nice.

Aloha

I wasn't going to weigh in here, but.

I am a union member 38 years, an officer about 20 years. What seems to be forgotten by many workers in this country is the "union: represents balance. A worker who fails in his performance should be fired, by following the termination rules. All work rules are the result of negotiation between Management and Labor.

A forgotten attitude in American Business, are the Company Employees are assets, not liabilities. A bad worker that remains on the job is the result of Management failing to document and/or follow disciplinary procedures.

Remember it's not us against them, it is teamwork, and that includes customers also. If you are treated poorly, you owe it to yourself, to report the situation to a supervisor, and up the line until resolved.

OK getting off soapbox. BTW: I am involved in a situation, still unresolved, lasting so far 2 years. A court has rulled the woker was denied fair treatment, 18 or so months ago, but damages still are not settled or the worker returned to full employment.

I don't quite understand how this became a UNION thing, but I want to say that most of the Amtrak workers that I have interacted with have been pleasant and helpful. When I read "that" quote about Amtrak workers, I wondered - could the person that complained about rudeness have been a cause of the rudeness.

The Nightly Spew on Nothing But Crap (aka NBC Nightly News) in typical 1 sided fashion made the situation appear much worse than it probably was and never mentioned at no time were pax in any danger, had heat and light and had food. I do give them credit, however, for showing some good footage of a BNSF Rotary Snowplow in action.

The Nightly Spew on Nothing But Crap (aka NBC Nightly News) in typical 1 sided fashion made the situation appear much worse than it probably was and never mentioned at no time were pax in any danger, had heat and light and had food. I do give them credit, however, for showing some good footage of a BNSF Rotary Snowplow in action.
Right, bash on the news program that you must have been watching since you posted immediately after the story was aired. If you hate NBC's Nightly News so much then why are you watching it.

Agreed.

I actually e-mailed NBC Nightly News just moments ago with this message:

EDIT: Ahem... After consulting my Mom (someone who watches the show every night), I have taken the liberty of editing out my e-mail transcript as it may be a bit inaccurate...

Agreed.

EDIT: Ahem... After consulting my Mom (someone who watches the show every night), I have taken the liberty of editing out my e-mail transcript as it may be a bit inaccurate...
More knee jerk defense reaction to any bad press for Amtrak! Some folks are so obsessed it is funny.

Agreed.

More knee jerk defense reaction to any bad press for Amtrak! Some folks are so obsessed it is funny.
With all due respect, we may be wording it hard (but not necessarily too hard), but we are all entitled to our opinions, including you, but I feel we shouldn't go after each other's opinions.

"Some folks are so obsessed it is funny" - That, IMHO, borderlines on being inflammatory. We all have such areas, my friend.

P.S. I hope no members or mods are displeased by my (for lack of a better phrase) "backseat moderating".

1) It's not just Amtrak_people are stranded @ bus stations, truck drivers out on frozen roads, I'd much rather be on a train than sitting in an airport for 24 hrs. like lots of folks!
24 hours, after the big snow storm here in NYC in mid-December, there were people still sitting in the airports 3 days after still trying to get where they were going.

While I certainly won't deny that there are some Amtrak workers who do seem to stick their heads in the sand when there is a problem, there aren't that many that do so. One thing people also have to realize is that sometimes the very people who would be making the announcements are outside the train trying to fix things to get it moving, especially in the case of the accident with the pickup truck. If the local police are busy talking with the crew, the crew can't very well be inside the train making announcements to tell people what's going on. Additionally, in the case of the accident, the crew is limited by Amtrak as to just what they can say. AFAIK they can't for example get on the PA and blurt out "that the train just hit a car and killed all 5 people inside, 3 of whom were kids."

On top of that, I'd like to see a more representative sampling of the passengers. I recall an incident a few years back where a Silver Service train got stuck behind a derailment for more than 24 hours. When the train finally got to NY, the major TV stations all seemed to have the same 3 or 4 people in their interviews screaming about no communication from the crew, and everything else under the sun. One local cable news station however managed to find at least 12 people all of whom said that they heard regular announcements from the crew. They complained about the fact that Amtrak kept charging them for food, as this was before the days where Amtrak packed emergency supplies onboard the trains. In fact, it was this incident that saw Amtrak start putting emergency food supplies onboard most trains, and all LD trains.

But as other's suggested, for a select few it often seems that any announcement other than "we'll be moving again in 2 minutes" is considered as not being kept informed by the crew.

You are so right. AMTRAK agreed to a contract that does not require staff to be nice.
Sorry, but you are wrong. I've been with Amtrak now for only 4 years. I have seen no less than around 15 OBS employees fired for various reasons. It's not impossible to fire union employees it simply must follow the rules and guidelines laid out to do so. Employees must be trained counseled and warned. Then discipline must be progressive and consistent with other disciplinary actions. As well there are time limits. If Amtrak management does it's job, documents and follows up then problem employees who have repeat offenses are fired and no amount of union involvement will get them un-fired.

If the local police are busy talking with the crew, the crew can't very well be inside the train making announcements to tell people what's going on.
Excuses, just have the coach attendant run back and forth from the conductor with updated information to call out on the PA. No wait there is probably a provision in the union contract that says coach attendants can't use the PA system.

Back on topic, look, OBS employees and conductors can make repeated announcements all day long if need be. This actually annoys some people by the way. In delays like this, a lot of what's going on is happening nowhere near the train. Emergency conference calls and decisions are being made across the country. It takes time to get the on-board staff informed and in the meantime the situation doesn't change.

These last winters have been harsh and this one is looking to be a real doozy. People have bad experiences all the time when traveling. I'd imagine every one of them says " I'm never taking this again" right? No matter whether it was a bus, train, plane or boat. There is nothing that can be done when the weather gets this bad. How do you get buses when no bus companies will run? How do you put 300 people up in hotel rooms when there are 40 rooms in town? How do you let people simply get off a train far from their destination in sub-zero freezing temperatures? These are all legitimate and serious questions.

Working in customer service I really try at all times not to be condescending or sarcastic but after reading this thread I just gotta ask. Exactly what more communication on-board do you want. "Well folks the snow drift outside is still two stories high", every 15 minutes. Can't you look out the window and see that yourself without every other passenger having to listen to blaring announcements.

If you choose to travel through parts of the country that have recorded winter weather extremes and then get delayed or stranded and start screaming to high hell at the transportation company because of it then maybe you should have stayed home until the weather was better.

If the local police are busy talking with the crew, the crew can't very well be inside the train making announcements to tell people what's going on.
Excuses, just have the coach attendant run back and forth from the conductor with updated information to call out on the PA. No wait there is probably a provision in the union contract that says coach attendants can't use the PA system.
Yeah, I'm sure that's just what the police want while trying to conduct an investigation, to have a coach/sleeping car attendant to walk outside every 5 minutes through the crime scene as it were, for an update because some passenger isn't getting enough information.

Not to mention that the coach attendant has other duties to be performing and Amtrak doesn't need yet another employee stepping out onto the roadbed and risking injury. An injury that would by the way further delay the train.

Back on topic, look, OBS employees and conductors can make repeated announcements all day long if need be. This actually annoys some people by the way.
Not only that, but people only hear what they want to hear. Ever watch passengers on a plane or on Amtrak during the safety announcements? Many pay absolutely no attention and are even busy talking through the announcements. Of course if the plane is expecting an emergency landing, then suddenly they're paying attention and studying the seat pocket safety cards.

There are people out there who if they aren't hearing what they want to hear, deem that as no announcements. If the train isn't moving, the conductor could announce every 5 minutes that he's still wating for an update on what's going to happen, and there will be people afterwards saying that NO announcements were made because they didn't hear the one that they wanted to hear, that the train would be moving in a minute.

I know, I know.....I've got an answer for everything :lol: But maybe all it takes is an announcement something like. "Well folks, this is what is happening and this is what we know so far.............We won't be making any more announcements until we know more ourselves, but we promise to update you as soon as we hear anything new. In the meantime, please relax and let our capable, professional (and yes, unionized) staff keep you warm and well fed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back