Most Romantic Moments on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best story I've heard on this topic goes like this, though I can't say if it's true:

A couple is travelling together to Seattle. One of the two meets a third passenger on the train and decides to sneak off in the night to the third person's sleeper room a few cars up. When attempting to return to their partner though... they're shocked to see just the tracks receeding into the distance from the window in the door! They had ended up on the Portland section of the train!
Do you have the cities reversed here? The only way the cheating partner would see tracks receding from a window is if the room they snuck off to was in the forward (Seattle) portion, yes?
quite possibly - the story was told to me at least second hand if not third or more! If anyone else has heard this one, would love to know what happened afterwards.

Plotted & schemed (and saved) well in advance: New gf, never travelled by train, let alone via sleeper. We had already "tested the waters" with a weekend trip to Miami, so I carried out my plan.

All she knew is that we were flying to LAX, sightseeing a day, then taking the train to SEA.

I did say that we had a sleeper, but left out a few "details" (we had a Bedroom, she knew nothing of the PPC until she set foot in it, and I didn't mention the ocean view going up the coast, the Cascades, Puget Sound, or anything else). Thanks, CS!

Best story I've heard on this topic goes like this, though I can't say if it's true:

A couple is travelling together to Seattle. One of the two meets a third passenger on the train and decides to sneak off in the night to the third person's sleeper room a few cars up. When attempting to return to their partner though... they're shocked to see just the tracks receeding into the distance from the window in the door! They had ended up on the Portland section of the train!
Can't tell you how many times I've heard that story from sleeper attendants, not only on the Empire Builder but also the Lake Shore Limited and, years ago, the California Zephyr when it still carried the Pioneer and Desert Wind behind it. When I pointed that out to one sleeper attendant, he said, "It has to be true. Look at all the opportunities!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back