More reliable in a deep freeze: Regional or Acela?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manny T

OBS Chief
Have to travel from NYP to WAS in the deep freeze.

Wonder if one or the other is more reliable in frigid temps, Regional train or Acela? Or maybe it doesn't matter.

Does anyone have an opinion? Thanks!

Not sure about which equipment set proves more reliable...the Acela's are newer than Amfleet, but Amfleet are pulled by newer power....

Another consideration is that in the event of a disruption of some type, the Acela's may be given priority in dispatching...not sure about that either...

And then, if there are extreme cold temperature speed restriction's, the Acela's are affected relatively more...........

Flip a coin?
default_smile.png

Acelas do have better protection against the elements for their HVAC and other support equipment under floor. The Amfleets pretty much have them open to the elements. Also, Amfleet doors are a bit more finicky in snow AFAIR, and the vestibules are "leakier" than the Acela ones.

Also keep in mind that in a limited service situation Acela sets and schedules will enjoy operational priority.
If the Acela's are even operating in "limited service situation". Sometimes they are the first to be cancelled. If there is a lot of powdery blowing snow, the electronics on the Acela's seem to develop problems more frequently. Otherwise , very reliable...

Interestingly the Alstom Eurostars (Class 373?) had this problem too, and they were fitted with some different filters or something to alleviate it to a large extent. I wonder if anything like that was tried on the Acelas.

Also keep in mind that in a limited service situation Acela sets and schedules will enjoy operational priority.
If the Acela's are even operating in "limited service situation". Sometimes they are the first to be cancelled. If there is a lot of powdery blowing snow, the electronics on the Acela's seem to develop problems more frequently. Otherwise , very reliable...
I thought they figured that out and resolved it previously. So the Acela hardware is still susceptible to being shut down by snow? Sounds like a certain Apple store that recently discovered what winter means.
default_laugh.png

I thought they figured that out and resolved it previously. So the Acela hardware is still susceptible to being shut down by snow? Sounds like a certain Apple store that recently discovered what winter means.
default_laugh.png
Powder snow fouling locomotives goes all the way back to GG-1's, and probably even further back...
default_smile.png

This is a great discussion guys. Thank you. Lots of good things to consider.

Now I just need someone to moderate it for me!

Based on what people are saying, it seems Acela would be the better option, though not perfect.

On the other hand I may just stay in NYC longer and travel next week when it is 40 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't let that board fool you. They often cancel Acela's during inclement weather because of traffic concerns (frozen switches causing limited routes). It has little to do with the actual equipment. Additionally, they are confined to certain routes, can not low level, can not be expanded and hog power. So, if you're looking to optimize your railroad, they'll send out the amfleets to serve the most passengers with fewer trains.

default_laugh.png
They have largely beaten this problem with software upgrades and instituting one power car operation during snow events.

The bottom line, is in terms of operational reliability, the Acela handles the deep freeze better. Just the lack of frozen doors makes them worth their weight.

Don't let that board fool you. They often cancel Acela's during inclement weather because of traffic concerns (frozen switches causing limited routes). It has little to do with the actual equipment. Additionally, they are confined to certain routes, can not low level, can not be expanded and hog power. So, if you're looking to optimize your railroad, they'll send out the amfleets to serve the most passengers with fewer trains.
Makes a lot of sense. I somewhat assumed it wasn't due to technical issues as much as just an operational strategy.

I guess the OP question was originally a technical one (e.g. how well does the physical trainset do in these conditions), but ultimately it doesn't matter why a train isn't operating. It just matters if it's yours or not!

Also, I imagine if "stuff" really hits the fan and you lose all electrical power it's easier to lash up a Diesel engine to a NER and move it than it is to do that with an Acela.

Makes a lot of sense. I somewhat assumed it wasn't due to technical issues as much as just an operational strategy.

I guess the OP question was originally a technical one (e.g. how well does the physical trainset do in these conditions), but ultimately it doesn't matter why a train isn't operating. It just matters if it's yours or not!

Also, I imagine if "stuff" really hits the fan and you lose all electrical power it's easier to lash up a Diesel engine to a NER and move it than it is to do that with an Acela.
I think they just open up the nose on the Acela to hook it up to a diesel engine.

I think they just open up the nose on the Acela to hook it up to a diesel engine.
Easier said than done. Still much easier to couple up a rescue engine to a NER train.

There's also a massive speed penalty involved - going from memory, I think that the Acela is limited to 10-15 MPH when pulled by the nose.

Throw a P42 on the front of a regional and bang along at 110 for the rest of the run.

There's also a massive speed penalty involved - going from memory, I think that the Acela is limited to 10-15 MPH when pulled by the nose.

Throw a P42 on the front of a regional and bang along at 110 for the rest of the run.
That's not quite correct. If you're towed with the shroud raised on either power car, you're limited to 125mph. If the train is operating on its own power with the trailing power car shroud raised, you're limited to 125mph.

When the train is operating on its own with the LEADING power car shroud raised, it is subjected to a 50 mph restriction.

Still, attempting to raise the nose on a high speed train on the main line is not for the faint of heart....or person under 6'0"!
default_happy.png

Actually I distinctly remember that precise bit of information being disseminated by AlanB about 7 or 8 years ago. For some odd reason the date of that post is blurred in my mind.

So my frigid travel day ended up being Sunday, 1/7, and I selected Acela 12 noon.

NYP departure was exactly on time.

Arrival in WAS was 7 minutes early. Good show.

Thanks for the input all.

Back