More questions about the TransDorm

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Everydaymatters

Engineer
What is it like to be in the Transdorm? The comment that sticks out in my mind was a poster who said you are forgotten and never see the SA. But I haven't seen anything about it in a while. I also recall someone saying that the attendant had the transdorm as well as a regular sleeper to take care of at the same time. Have things changed?

I'm asking because I don't like the room I have on the CZ and would like to change to one closer to the restroom(s), in either the upper or lower level. But now the only rooms available are in the transdorm.

Well, if one of the big concerns is being near the restroom, consider this:

The transdorm has a restroom on the upper level also. Because so few revenue rooms are in the trans-dorm, it is hardly used, and that restroom also contains a separate shower room - on the upper level! (You do not have to go downstairs to use the shower. There is also restrooms and showers on the lower level.)

We just got back from a trip in the transdorm last month. It was our first time in that car and we really enjoyed it. It was much quieter and there are additional showers and restrooms. You do have to go into the next car to get coffee, but we were not ignored by the attendant and still got dining reservations as normal. If going in a roomette I'd prefer the transdorm.

I love the Transdorm. Be aware the train horn is non-stop, however, I find it relaxing and very trainish! Some do not. The choice is yours. I never need a cabin attendent, so them not showing up is ok too. Very quiet and private in the that car.

I have ridden the Transdorm on the Texas Eagle several times, sometimes being the only one left when we get to FTW on the southbound. I too am low maintenance but always had one of the Coach Attendants taking care of the car, usually coming through very regularly to make sure things were alright. On my last run, she set up a coffee pot, juice, water and such in one of the Roomettes and said ice was available in the next Sleeper.

As for the engine noise it does not bother me at all and at night I find between the horn, air compressor cycling and throttle changes it makes for a very relaxing background.

I've been in the transdorm on the CONO and the TE, and I never felt forgotten. I had wonderful attendants on both trains.

I like having the additional upper-level restroom and extra showers. Plus, we had coffee in ours both times. I'm pretty sure the crew brews it for themselves so they don't have to get it from other cars. This may vary by train, of course.

The only thing I didn't like was the proximity of the horn. I didn't mind it during the day, but it made it hard to sleep at night. Earplugs helped quite a bit. It might be better on the CZ because you'll have more of a buffer; the CONO and TE run with only one loco. The CZ has two.

Since it's mostly crew in one half and revenue passengers in the other half, the car is pretty quiet. On the CONO, there were only three revenue passengers, including me. The room across from me was empty most of the time, and then the crew nurse (?) took a nap in there during the day. (Our SCA kept calling her "Nurse", and she was in scrubs.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the transdorm too. As far as your meals you might request to have them brought to your room. When I start a trip I talk to the room attendant and say something along the lines of 'I really do prefer to eat in my room and if you don't mind I'd rather tip you than those guys anyway' and they usually reply they'd like to help out. Since it is a bit quieter in the dorm you could actually schedule the meal delivery time with them in advance if you want to. I usually request that they just bring it whenever they're taking care of the handicapped room. I know it's their job to bring the meals but I do consider it an extra service. I put the tip on the tray so they know I appreciate their effort. I used to simply tip at the end of my trip but people here have suggested its a good idea to take of them after each meal and since I've started doing it that way it does seem to run smoother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back