More problems for Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Amtrak_flyer

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050526/dcth030.html?.v=13

Mineta claims Gunn is irrespondsible? It seems to be more then the higher ups telling Mineta what to do and say. He truly seems to have a vandetta against Amtrak. If Mineta was just going through the motions to promote Bush's plan I could understand as some people say he's doing what he's being told. BUT Mineta is doing his best possible job, probably the best job anyone could do to destroy Amtrak. I just dont understand. I realize 2 of his sons are airline pilots. I doubt that has anything to do with it. I'm a pilot too..the airlines are also is the worst shape of all time.

Everyone that works at Amtrak keep your chin up, the vast majority of the country is still with you and Gunn is also. I truly think Gunn has a plan, its going to take another year or so for this to play out.

I wonder if this letter already took into consideration the cost-cutting measures to go into effect on the NEC on June 1.

At that time, Metroliner First Class will have a "menu change," where hot meals will no longer be offered. Instead, just cold food, snack bar and beverage service will be offered, staffed with only one attendant (the Acela First Class had three attendants per car, I don't know if Metroliner First Class had the same).

The feeling is that, even once Acela returns, the first class will remain at this reduced level.

I think what Mineta is saying in this letter is stop all long distance trains and do it now. Right at the begining of the summer travel season. THE WHOLE THING MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL!!

Guest_Amtrak_flyer said:
I think what Mineta is saying in this letter is stop all long distance trains and do it now. Right at the begining of the summer travel season. THE WHOLE THING MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL!!
Yeah, uh he is an Idiot.......

What do you expect?

Seriously though Mineta has the power to kill Amtrak come July or Aug, and obviously he has every intention to do so. Amtrak needs that 60 million, its part of their subsidy..unfortunetly it has strings attached that Mineta controls. Down comes the whole system. With the mess Congress is in, people will yell but nothing will get done. Next year congress will try to salvage whats left of Amtrak after this fiasco. This is all going to come down to politics. SAD SAD SAD.

The problem is, Amtrak can't cut any more cash saving measures. Mineta does not seem to understand this. I've never seen such a reactive administration. It's called being pro-active.

"The problem is, Amtrak can't cut any more cash saving measures. Mineta does not seem to understand this. I've never seen such a reactive administration. It's called being pro-active."

AGREED BUT: I always thought being pro-active was a good thing.

Do a news search on yahoo and look at all the bad media just this one thing alone has stirred up the last 24 hours. These guys are playing hard-ball below the belt!

Guest_Amtrak_flyer said:
"The problem is, Amtrak can't cut any more cash saving measures. Mineta does not seem to understand this. I've never seen such a reactive administration. It's called being pro-active."
AGREED BUT: I always thought being pro-active was a good thing.

Do a news search on yahoo and look at all the bad media just this one thing alone has stirred up the last 24 hours. These guys are playing hard-ball below the belt!
Thats what I meant. The Admin needs to be pro-active...

Back