More long haul frequency?!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
When looking at the rail system in Europe....and I must say it's pretty much world class after having used my 8-day Eurail pass to the maximum a few years back....one thing that really jumps out at me is the frequency of departures for long haul trains. Usually at least two to three per day, if not more.

I realize Amtrak is in a totally different situation, but has there been any discussion whatsoever about increasing the frequency of the long-haul routes? Looking at the national route map, every one of the routes could, potentially, have at least 2 daily trains. What's needed is good marketing to promote the service.

A route like the Sunset Limited, for example, could be a real money maker (in my opininion) if it had daily service at a minimum. Most of these long hauls stop at heavily populated areas...areas that should have more than 1 to 2 trains per day.

Does Amtrak currently have a lack of available equipment to do this? This should be a big priority for them to get the long-hauls operating more profitably. Give the people more choices, and more people will take the train.

Living in a city that could potentially see all of its Amtrak service go away, this really troubles me. I want to see this company succeed more than anyone.

Stephen in NOL

Yes, Alot has to do with the lack of equipment. Amtrak does not have nearly enough equipment at its disposal in its fleet to launch multiple daily departures of its long distance trains. This is unfortunate, but for now, I think it is the only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back