More Infrastructure Money Needed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with the Viewliners are twofold. First of all, the basic car design is crap. I mean its awful. Secondly, the Viewliners were built by MorrisonKnudson, which took the design after Budd stopped building railcars. MK is outta business.
Since I have never been in one, I have to ask: What is it, or what is the list of items that make the Viewliner design unredeemable?
I guess the basic shell is ok enough, if you assembled it properly (Which M-K didn't.). And, of course, the fairly standard trucks aren't much of a problem. Everything else is over-complicated, messy, proprietarily designed, difficult to maintain, with a good deal of plain old thoughtlessness.

For something as low volume as a dining car Amtrak should be able to buy from a European manufacturer (no silly buy American requirement).
I think our goal should be to minimize the total number of dollars we ship out of the country, and if we have to choose between un-Americian rail cars and un-American petroleum, we're probably better off with the former.

But there's still the crashworthiness issue.

According to a few Internet sites, Budd became part of ThyssenKrupp Budd and sold it's rail patents to Bombardier. So if this is to be believed, not only does Bombardier have the Superliner patents but also the Amfleet patents as well.
Patents last a bit less than 20 years. I believe that means that any patents on the Amfleet and Superliner I equipment, at least, have expired.

According to a few Internet sites, Budd became part of ThyssenKrupp Budd and sold it's rail patents to Bombardier. So if this is to be believed, not only does Bombardier have the Superliner patents but also the Amfleet patents as well.
Patents last a bit less than 20 years. I believe that means that any patents on the Amfleet and Superliner I equipment, at least, have expired.
Patents and Copyright on design are two very very different things. One can last forever.

Patents and Copyright on design are two very very different things. One can last forever.
Yes, they are different. But frj1983 brought up patents, not copyright.

I don't remember if copyright can apply to the plans for a train car. I suspect it doesn't.

Whether copyright should be allowed to last forever is an interesting question. IIRC, the Constitution says copyright is supposed to last for a limited amount of time for the purpose of encouraging the creation of works. There is an argument that extending copyright after a work has been created does nothing to encourage that work to be created, and thus such extensions may not be constitutional, but IIRC there was some court case that didn't buy this particular argument.

Yes, they are different. But frj1983 brought up patents, not copyright.

I don't remember if copyright can apply to the plans for a train car. I suspect it doesn't.

Whether copyright should be allowed to last forever is an interesting question. IIRC, the Constitution says copyright is supposed to last for a limited amount of time for the purpose of encouraging the creation of works. There is an argument that extending copyright after a work has been created does nothing to encourage that work to be created, and thus such extensions may not be constitutional, but IIRC there was some court case that didn't buy this particular argument.
It is either trademark or copyright, but one lasts for the entire life of its creator +70 years and designs are copyrighted.

It is either trademark or copyright, but one lasts for the entire life of its creator +70 years and designs are copyrighted.
Trademarks are pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. The most a trademark might let Bombardier do is prevent some other company from calling the car an Amfleet or a Superliner. But a trademark by itself would not prevent another company from building an identical car and calling it something else.

I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of examples of places where copyright is not an issue in manufacturing individual parts for an automobile or airplane. Beyond that, I don't know much about whether designs really are subject to copyright.

I think our goal should be to minimize the total number of dollars we ship out of the country, and if we have to choose between un-Americian rail cars and un-American petroleum, we're probably better off with the former.
Given how our rail car isolationism has given us a proven track record of building world-class passenger rail cars at a profit... sorry... it's one thing if you're talking about a large order to amortize the NRE costs, but wasting gobs of cash just to meet a made-here requirement for a few dozen cars is silly.

A effective made-in-America requirement needs to be part of a larger plan to create/strengthen a viable industry in this country. Forcing Amtrak (or another RR) to spend $10s of millions more for a few rail cars (made up number, correct me if it's wrong) is insane.

Is this real? (I honestly don't know, but I'm skeptical). How much better do FRA cars actually perform in real-world situations? If it's better, how much does each life saved cost? At some point (7 to low 8 figures) the you start throwing away money.

Is this real? (I honestly don't know, but I'm skeptical). How much better do FRA cars actually perform in real-world situations? If it's better, how much does each life saved cost? At some point (7 to low 8 figures) the you start throwing away money.
It is very real. Look at the pictures of the Metrolink wreck and you see one very crumpled up car, to approximately 1/3 of its volume. Same is true for most crashes of American equipment. You see dented and crumpled cars. Look at the pictures of the ICE cars at the Eschede, Germany wreck, and you will see that a number of the cars turned into piles of componenets because they literally unzipped along their seams. The costs and difficulties are not near what the Euro car manufacturers would have you believe from thier propoganda.

It is very real. Look at the pictures of the Metrolink wreck and you see one very crumpled up car, to approximately 1/3 of its volume. Same is true for most crashes of American equipment. You see dented and crumpled cars. Look at the pictures of the ICE cars at the Eschede, Germany wreck, and you will see that a number of the cars turned into piles of componenets because they literally unzipped along their seams. The costs and difficulties are not near what the Euro car manufacturers would have you believe from thier propoganda.
What propaganda? (serious question). If they're claiming their designs are safe enough, are they wrong?

I'm not claiming that cars designed to FRA standards are not safer (or are safer), just questioning the safety ROI.

The FRA Acela Express, for example, weighs 1.9 tons/passenger (reference), versus 1.1 tons/passenger (ICE1), 1ton/passenger (TGV Réseau), and 0.7 - 1.1 ton/passenger (ICE3 and variants) (from Wikipedia and TGVweb). That's pretty bad, especially for use on tracks that require a lot of acceleration and deceleration.

I'm pretty ignorant about train design, but I don't understand how one can compare the Metrolink and Eschede incidents. In the Eschede incident the damage was from a falling bridge and the momentum of the train crushing itself (reference). Would the Metrolink train (or AE) have done any better with a bridge falling on it, or being crushed by itself at over 100mph (more mass -> more momentum and energy)? The AE's greater mass (for a given # of pax) might do a better job of knocking the bridge down, but also of crushing itself, thereby defeating the purpose of the added weight. Increase the weight and the forces increase. I don't see how a train designed to FRA standards would have done any better. The issue was the defective wheel design.

High weight also increases infrastructure costs (reference and another reference). It increases wear on tracks and increases construction costs (lower maximum grade). I will accept that FRA standards might save lives in some accidents. What I find difficult to accept that the overall cost, including the expense of custom-built trains, higher infrastructure cost, lower average speed, is worth it (though I don't know the true cost, or the estimated # of lives saved).

Instead of building tanks on tracks, why not spend the money on better signaling systems?

Last edited by a moderator:
The catenary is a key factor restricting trains to 125 in some territory.
Wouldn't mind having a real high speed train between NYP and WAS... I like day trips but its almost impossible. Unless you take like a 6AM NEC out of NYP.

I worked on the NECIP and the number one item to increase total overall speed in the NEC would be to repair/replace B&P tunnel. fixing that one spot could knock up to 15-20 minutes or so off the total WAS-NYC run, next slow point is Susquehanna bridge slow speed zone.

Bob

(PS - B&P tunnel is the old Baltimore and Potomac RR tunnel under West Baltimore. it is tightly constrained and has only two tracks and very tight clearances, speeds are usually restricted to the 20-30mph range. also if a freight has a high wide car they must use the gauntlet track in the center and it effectively blocks the entire tunnel, The tunnel is actually a series of tunnels and totals aboout 3 miles from CP Fulton to Penn Station, Baltimore, this is the #1 bottleneck on the NEC, estimated repair costs are in the 3 billion dollar range)

The catenary is a key factor restricting trains to 125 in some territory.
Wouldn't mind having a real high speed train between NYP and WAS... I like day trips but its almost impossible. Unless you take like a 6AM NEC out of NYP.

I worked on the NECIP and the number one item to increase total overall speed in the NEC would be to repair/replace B&P tunnel. fixing that one spot could knock up to 15-20 minutes or so off the total WAS-NYC run, next slow point is Susquehanna bridge slow speed zone.

Bob

(PS - B&P tunnel is the old Baltimore and Potomac RR tunnel under West Baltimore. it is tightly constrained and has only two tracks and very tight clearances, speeds are usually restricted to the 20-30mph range. also if a freight has a high wide car they must use the gauntlet track in the center and it effectively blocks the entire tunnel, The tunnel is actually a series of tunnels and totals aboout 3 miles from CP Fulton to Penn Station, Baltimore, this is the #1 bottleneck on the NEC, estimated repair costs are in the 3 billion dollar range)

Yeah that makes more sense- overall the quality of the NEC rails seemed good- it was the tunnels in and out of NYC that seemed to blow everything to hell.

I've never gone north of NYP- but from what I've seen, the trains are always on time or thereabout, and I'm sitting (standing) in Penn watching the master table flicker as its about 10 minutes until arrival from Boston... then five... then BAM 20 minute delay.

I'm pretty ignorant about train design, but I don't understand how one can compare the Metrolink and Eschede incidents. In the Eschede incident the damage was from a falling bridge and the momentum of the train crushing itself
You missed my point. My point was that several of the cars involved in Eschede CAME APART ON IMPACT. If you look at pictures of the accident you will see separate sides, tops and floors/undercarriages. A car that will do this under any circumstances does not meet US safety requirements for crashworthiness. The result of these instant disassemblies was a considerable increase in loss of life. As to the vehicle weight issue, I would not hold up the Acela as best practice for compliance with FRA requirements or anything close. In fact, the whole power cars plus unpowered coaches set up is the wrong answer for high speeds, as adhesion decreases with speed and the need for applied power increase with speed, so that you need heavier and heavier power cars as speed increases to keep the adhesion / power need curves from crossing, and additional weight is the WRONG ANSWER. An EMU set with the same passenger capacity could achieve the crashworthiness strength and be much lighter even if nothing else changed.

Amtrak needs all sorts of increased routes and corridors. Long-distance routes can include corridors. You can even have long-distance corridors, such as the old Water-Level Route used to be. I'd imagine that even today the Water Level Route could handle a second daily train. And in any case, it runs several that run to Buffalo.
Denver to Chicago could run a corridor, especially if they managed to build a faster ROW.
One thing I'd like to see is a proper corridor service developed around the very populous regions currently served completely inadequately by the Piedmont, Carolinan and Crescent. With four extra trains every day, one could run a local service every two hours, serving a few more places, between Raleigh and Greensboro, and a daytime service linking New York and Atlanta, leaving New York about 7am and arriving in Atlanta around midnight.

The curve radius needs to be around 23,000 feet (4.35 miles) or larger for 200 mph. or 13,000 feet (2.46 miles) for 150 mph. For comparison, a one degree curve (5730 feet or 1.085 mile radius is fine for 79 mph to 90 mph.
What underbalance are you using, George? Using a fairly routine 5" superelevation (I believe they can go higher than that, but I'd have to check my criteria), for 200mph I'm getting an underbalance of less than two inches. Even a heritage baggage car is good for at least three.

They would have to be big ol' curves, though, no doubt about that.
Yes, at 23,000 feet radius, 200 mph, the combined SE plus unbalance would be 6.96 inches. However, . . .

For the sake of rail wear, comfort and particularly comfort over a wider range of speed, you really want to keep the superelevation to 4 inches or less and the unbalance to 3 inches or less. Where the space is available, you should be playing with 3 inches and 2 inches if you can, but that is in the luxury realm a lot of the times.

When thinking of curves in degrees turned per 100 feet of length, speed in mph and super in inches,

the SE, combined actual and unbalance = 0.0007 V^2 / Degree of curve

When doing it in radius measured in feet, speed mph and super in inches, the forumla is:

SE, again combined = 4.0 V^2 / R

For those playing in the metric world, meters, km/h and SE in mm,

SE, again combined = 11.8 V^2 / R

To get radius, you churn this around to, in feet, mph, inches, so you get:

Radius = 4.0 V^2 / SE

or

Radius (meters) = 11.8 V^2 / SE (millimeters)

plugging 200 mph and 7 inches into this gets 22,857 feet, so round this to 23,000 feet

at 150 mph, and 7 inches, get 12,857 feet, call it 13,000 feet.

You can really go safely as far as 6 inches of superelevation and 4 inches of unbalance, but rail life on curves like this goes through the floor, and if the train ever has to stop, the passengers slide off onto the floor, so the best thing is to work with 4 and 3 or less and keep the higher numbers in your back pocket in case of emergency. Some systems allow the superelevation to go up to 180 mm = really close to 7 inches.

At these high values, you can run 200 mph around a 16,000 feet radius curve, but it is far better not to. In fact, the current European standards say at these high speeds unbalance shall be no less than 80 mm, which is just over 3 inches.

You missed my point. My point was that several of the cars involved in Eschede CAME APART ON IMPACT. If you look at pictures of the accident you will see separate sides, tops and floors/undercarriages. A car that will do this under any circumstances does not meet US safety requirements for crashworthiness.
My point was really more of the general idea that FRA standards are probably excessive. Perhaps the ICE1 car design is flawed, but would a FRA compliant car do that much better at 125mph (w/o any engine to pad it)? Probably so, but how much? Have there been any crash tests to provide data for the FRA standards, and does the FRA provide cost justification behind them? (not a rhetorical question)

It seems clear to me that having safety standards that are so different from the rest of the world results in significant cost increases. Increasing costs so much may very well decrease safety, by making rail travel more expensive, driving more people to cars. This would either be because of high fares or reduced availability (subsidies don't go as far).

When the car in question is a low capacity and low purchase volume car like a diner/lounge/mess hall (for which I originally suggested a foreign purchase), the cost per life saved gets even higher.

Besides, since it has been way more than 17 or 20 years since those Patents were granted. they have all expired anyway :)

I think it is the associated trade secrets, which don;t expire, that are the issue, and yes Bombardier owns them.

I'm pretty ignorant about train design, but I don't understand how one can compare the Metrolink and Eschede incidents. In the Eschede incident the damage was from a falling bridge and the momentum of the train crushing itself
You missed my point. My point was that several of the cars involved in Eschede CAME APART ON IMPACT. If you look at pictures of the accident you will see separate sides, tops and floors/undercarriages. A car that will do this under any circumstances does not meet US safety requirements for crashworthiness.
So then the result or the Metrolink crash applying your criteria would suggest that the Hawker-Siddley designed bilevels used by Metrolink and a host of other commuter operations in the US also do not meet the crashworthiness requirements of US then? Afterall the first car did open up like a tin can, didn't it? Inquiring minds want to know. Per your criteria then a car is supposed to maintain structural integrity even if a whole bridge collapses onto it? Could you please point to somewhere in the FRA regulations which says anything like that? Thanks.

So then the result or the Metrolink crash applying your criteria would suggest that the Hawker-Siddley designed bilevels used by Metrolink and a host of other commuter operations in the US also do not meet the crashworthiness requirements of US then? Afterall the first car did open up like a tin can, didn't it? Inquiring minds want to know. Per your criteria then a car is supposed to maintain structural integrity even if a whole bridge collapses onto it? Could you please point to somewhere in the FRA regulations which says anything like that? Thanks.
I am going to try this one more time, and this is the last as far as I am concerned:

The Metrolink car was crumpled and crushed. It did not come apart into various component pieces.

Some of the ICE coaches were crushed, but others simply came apart. You can see separate sides, tops and undercarriage parts for several cars in the picture of the aftermath of that accident. You do not see any of this in the Metrolink accident or any other accident involving American passenger equipment built since before the 1920's. That is the difference.

There were other issues at Eschede:

1. Use of two-part wheels - the wheel tread portion came apart and part came up throught the coach floor. The train ran for several miles this way. This type of wheel had never been used in other than low speed light rail cars anywhere else.

2. The overpass had no crash wall combining/protecting the columsn at the bottom and no pier cap combining the columns at the top, so that the entire support system was very weak against lateral impact.

So let's take it as a given that older, heavier cars are safer. But are these differences necessary? I recently read that Amtrak passengers die at a rate of .88 deaths per billion passenger miles. Airline passenger deaths are about the same (.87 deaths per billion passenger mile). The automobile passenger death rate is 11.7 deaths per billion passenger mile, or about 15 times worse than traveling by air or train.

So let's say Amtrak decides to build newer, lighter, cheaper cars. These cars allow Amtrak to grow its network more quickly, spend less on fuel, reduce passenger costs, etc., but they're only half as safe as the older-style cars. This would mean that traveling by train would be only 7 or 8 times more safe than traveling by car. Would that be worth it? Personally, I think so.

The ICE accident at Eschede is not a very good example for proving or disproving the value of the FRA crash worthiness standards. Having a bridge superstructure collapse on a train operating in excess of 100mph is, fortunately, an exceeding rare occurrence. The nature, location, and force of that impact would have destroyed any rail car, including FRA-compliant cars.

The reason there has not been vehicle destruction of the nature seen at Eschede in the US is because we have never had something like that happen here, thank goodness. Certainly the Metrolink accident, as horrible as it was, does not approximate the wreck at Eschede. Metrolink is the kind of impact that FRA anticipates in setting its crash wothiness standards. Eschede is not.

So let's take it as a given that older, heavier cars are safer. But are these differences necessary? I recently read that Amtrak passengers die at a rate of .88 deaths per billion passenger miles. Airline passenger deaths are about the same (.87 deaths per billion passenger mile). The automobile passenger death rate is 11.7 deaths per billion passenger mile, or about 15 times worse than traveling by air or train.
So let's say Amtrak decides to build newer, lighter, cheaper cars. These cars allow Amtrak to grow its network more quickly, spend less on fuel, reduce passenger costs, etc., but they're only half as safe as the older-style cars. This would mean that traveling by train would be only 7 or 8 times more safe than traveling by car. Would that be worth it? Personally, I think so.
I think the value to each individual personally is if you or a loved one is in that .87 per biilliion that didn't need to die????

American Passenger cars are designed to absorb crashes by essentially zig zagging but not being destroyed, in almost every crash especially with passenger cars that have tightlock couplers you might see the engine and first car severly damaged but rarely do you see such damage on the following cars (unless they topple over, fall off a bridge etc) mostly they will be zig zagged up the right of way, and in fact in the Metrolink accident the freight train did just that.

personally (as an engineer, not train driving type) I have always had some concern about cars without center sills such as the metrolink car and others. But the FRA rules while very onerous do produce some of the safest railroading in the world.

I do not think that the rules are unduly burdensome, I also believe that very little changes need to be made at this time.

IMO

Bob

I think the value to each individual personally is if you or a loved one is in that .87 per biilliion that didn't need to die????
Sentiments like that, while perhaps heartfelt, only serve to lessen overall safety. A life may be priceless, but lives have a monetary value, and statistical safety must be evaluated in a cold-hearted manner.

The nation (government, industry, and individuals) has finite resources to spend on safety; the money must be spent where it's most effective. Doing otherwise results in suboptimal spending on safety, effectively killing people. Designers and regulators must put a finite value on human life (I think low single digit millions is the current going rate). If I gave you the opportunity as a regulator to save 10 lives at $1billion of other peoples' money, each (through changes in safety standards), would you do it? I hope not. I would hope that the $10billion would be spent on things that would save more than 10 lives.

How about we all just agree that comparing the German accident to the Metrolink crash wasn't a good comparison and move on??

You are looking at different speeds, different circumstances and completely different impacts...

Deal?

How about we all just agree that comparing the German accident to the Metrolink crash wasn't a good comparison and move on??
You are looking at different speeds, different circumstances and completely different impacts...

Deal?
More than happy to. Everybody is getting tied up on the difference in speed / the presence of the bridge, etc. The whole point is that on impact the current eurocars will come apart. Even at Chase, MD, which was comparable in speed the cars did not come apart. There was probably almost no difference in mass of the object hit between three stopped diesels at Chase and a two lane overpass at Eschede.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back