Modifying from Value to Saver fare?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant
I booked GRR-CHI (Value fare) and CHI-CIN (BC) on one reservation for early June. Just my luck, Amtrak has a Saver fare sale this week. Is it possible to modify the reservation so that the first leg is a Saver fare? The only other way I can think of is canceling the first leg and booking it separately as a Saver.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I think the saver fare cannot be modified or upgraded, maybe that restriction applies in the opposite case too?

Just as a matter of interest, how much $ difference would the saver fare make on your trip?

Ed.

I booked GRR-CHI (Value fare) and CHI-CIN (BC) on one reservation for early June. Just my luck, Amtrak has a Saver fare sale this week. Is it possible to modify the reservation so that the first leg is a Saver fare? The only other way I can think of is canceling the first leg and booking it separately as a Saver.

Don't overthink it. Try clicking the "modify trip" option and see if the saver fare is available (it was for me, for a saver-to-saver exchange w/in 24 hrs) and whether any of the new cancellation/change fees would outweigh the benefit of changing it, if available. You don't have to confirm it if so.

Last edited by a moderator:

If it won't let you change it, just cancel your current ticket and get the Saver. Value fares are fully refundable if canceled 8 days or more before departure.

Don't overthink it. Try clicking the "modify trip" option and see if the saver fare is available (it was for me, for a saver-to-saver exchange w/in 24 hrs) and whether any of the new cancellation/change fees would outweigh the benefit of changing it, if available. You don't have to confirm it if so.
Amtrak doesn't have any change fees.

Thanks, all, for your input. This change would reduce my total fare from $99 to $85 (roughly 14% savings). I tried modifying the reservation online, but the system said that wasn’t a change in reservation—GRR-CHI would still be Coach. I think I’ll cancel that leg and book it separately in the Saver fare. Thanks again, everyone.

I just did something similar. We changed our boarding station which resulted in a small credit. I dont recall if we changed the fare category, I believe we may have. We are taking the Cardinal in coach, connecting with the CZ in a roomette. However, the credit was offered either as a full amount in an evoucher, or back on our credit card with a service fee.

But now that Im thinking of this, we made our original reservation directly with Amtrak by phone. For some reason, we were in a higher fare category. Since the 4-hour layover is considered a legal connection, we were told that if we missed the CZ connection, Amtrak would be responsible for any necessary accommodations or transportation. Does fare class change any of that?

But now that Im thinking of this, we made our original reservation directly with Amtrak by phone. For some reason, we were in a higher fare category. Since the 4-hour layover is considered a legal connection, we were told that if we missed the CZ connection, Amtrak would be responsible for any necessary accommodations or transportation. Does fare class change any of that?
As long as the two trains are on the same reservation, booked as one trip from origin to destination, your connection is protected.

Back