Modified Dining Car Service on Lake Shore Limited Effective 7/20/16

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you should mention that......a news story this morning was that Dunkin Donuts was working to improve its breakfast sandwiches by removing some of the extra ingredients in the eggs, and making them more like real eggs. There are some compelling reasons to use egg mix rather than whole eggs, the availability of pasteurized product greatly enhances food safety, and storage is certainly easier. But that should not be an excuse to use adulterated product, go for the good stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Too much talk about the Crescent not having a diner in this thread for me. We are going to be on the Crescent in late August.....any odds on us having a full diner?
The last time we rode the Crescent (February), it had a totally different diner than when we last rode, which was January 2014. It looked newer and much nicer. I was kinda thinking the Crescent had maybe already gotten a new diner? But I guess that's not the case.

Funny you should mention that......a news story this morning was that Dunkin Donuts was working to improve its breakfast sandwiches by removing some of the extra ingredients in the eggs, and making them more like real eggs. There are some compelling reasons to use egg mix rather than whole eggs, the availability of pasteurized product greatly enhances food safety, and storage is certainly easier. But that should not be an excuse to use adulterated product, go for the good stuff!
"Greatly enhances food safety" only if whatever mystery additives they're using are actually much safer than the eggs themselves. If your eggs come from humanely raised chickens rather than a filthy egg factory, they're pretty safe as they are.

(Full disclosure: I keep hens and sell some of the very best eggs in Asheville at farm market. They're expensive compared to factory-farm eggs, but a bargain as high-quality, local, humanely raised protein goes.)

The Viewliner I Diner occasionally runs on the Crescent. You might have seen that.
The 8400 was on the Crescent Wed/Thur 7/20&21. I rode those trains as a Trails and Rails volunteer. It seems to be in the regular equipment rotation for that train the past couple of weeks.

My impressions (remember this is the prototype car and the production version may be a little different):

Plus

• Much more spacious, mainly due to the larger cross-section of the car, especially the top.
  • The kitchen is much larger looking due to the increase height. I spoke to the chef and he said he loves the car.
  • The ride is noticeably much smoother.
Minus

• Same seating and tables as a heritage diner
  • The air conditioning vents are along the bottom of the windows, which creates a draft for whoever is seated at the window side. The crew had actually put duct tape on some of the vents to cut down on the draft at those seats.
  • The menu, of course, is the same, but that's really what should be expected. The food prep was essentially the same also.

As I said, go for the good stuff, not the adulterated product. Bacterial contamination can be introduced in the storage, handling, and food prep process that unfortunately can defeat the higher quality product standard. We are talking about a commissary provided commodity, not a direct farm to market high end item like I might choose to buy for myself.

Minus

• The air conditioning vents are along the bottom of the windows, which creates a draft for whoever is seated at the window side. The crew had actually put duct tape on some of the vents to cut down on the draft at those seats.
Complete agree with the air conditioning vent issue. Darn cold seated next to the window.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any update on the diner situation on the Lake Shore Limited? I am getting my tickets for the summer and wanted to know if 1) if the track work at Albany is finished and the Boston Sleeper is back in service with the pre-construction consist of the Lake Shore? and 2) Any update on the Lake Shore Limited diners? Will they have real diners again come summer or do I have to wait until 2018 or later? Any updates are appreciated. Thank you!

Went through a few weeks ago on the way to/from Syracuse. Still working on the platform extension, bur the track work looked good. Lots of progress towards SDY on the second track, that will be a big help when it opens......

Back