MN-WA-CA-IL-MN!!! first time on amtrak and alone.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

a question about wifi... does anyone rent a hotspot or anything so they have it with them on the train since i heard they dont have it on the trains?
I *need* to be connected to I shopped around a lot for something that would give me a decent amount of data and time with no contract since I basically use it for travel only.

I found this T-Mobile 4G MiFi Hotspot at Walmart, the price has dropped from $115 to $85 since I bought it.

http://www.walmart.c...otspot/20976915

Walmart also has an exclusive $35, 60 day, 3.5g pay as you go card which is the best no contract deal I've found.

http://www.walmart.c...60-Day/20896235

You'll use up your data incredibly fast if you stream anything but it's perfect for surfing and email.
T-Mobile's coverage is nowhere near that of Verizon's, though. It works decently (I used it on my trip), but not perfectly. If you absolutely need to be connected throughout the trip on your laptop (instead of just occasionally, mainly at station stops), go with Verizon. If you just need to be able to check your email once a day, T-Mobile will work.

That being said, unless you really need a laptop, I'd stick with just a smartphone. If you have a GSM one, there's numerous prepaid providers out there that will give you service for at or below $50/month (Straight Talk being the one I have at $45/month.)
Thanks for the info.

I only need to be connected because I *want* to be connected, it's part of the fun on the train for me.

I've had Verizon in the past (when I had contract phones & wifi) and, you're correct, it was the best service.

I haven't been able to snag a new Verizon mobile hotspot (jetpack) in my area/zipcode without a contract and I only use it for travel so that's a waste of money - I'll keep looking.

good stuff about the internet. ill look into those ideas.

im worried about my departure times. would you say that the schedules are set to ensure a good view?

EDIT:

also in seattle, is there a must see? id like to go to the space needle. but also the glass museum or zoo or aquarium etc.

same with chicago? the field museum, the aquarium i heard is the best in the country but my arrival and departure times wont work with it :( but is there anything i MUST see there? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
On a brief visit to Chicago these were our favourites -

1. The upper level downtown rail system 'The Loop' I think it's called. Rode around town on it a couple of times.
  2. The circular parking garage somewhere in cental Chicago on the river, where it appears these myriad levels of parked cars are about to roll off the edge
  3. The diversity of buildings is spectacular
  4. The John Hancock Center/Tower

In Seattle, in my opinion, the aquarium is well worth the time and money. And don't forget to check out Pike Place Market; in particular, make sure to see the flying fish exhibition! :lol: And since you are interested in the Space Needle, the glass museum will be easy to access, as it's by the Space Needle. I've not been to the museum but hope to when I visit Seattle in June. My personal favorite place is a shop on Seattle's waterfront, a place called Ye Olde Curiousity Shoppe. It appeals to the dark, twisted part of my personality :lol: . Amongst the displays exhibited there is a collection of shrunken heads, not unlike those of most of today's politicians. :lol:

awesome. thanks you 2. im looking to those things... i leave friday

since it seems most here opt for the sleeper, how much do you think you spend a day on those 2 day routes?

any good stories or experiences first timers like me should know so they know what to expect??

i still think im crazy for doing this big of a trip on amtrak as a first timer and doing it alone lol so everyone here is helping alot with making things familiar

The Sears Tower (renamed Willis Tower) is pretty awesome, and it's across from Union Station. You could stand on The Ledge, which is a plexiglass box they built on the outside of the building so you're standing above the street and can see everything below your feet. :)

The Art Institute is also pretty close.

The Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, and Adler Planetarium are a bit farther away. You'd need a taxi or bus to get there, and it's hard to see even just one of them if you only have a few hours. The Museum of Science and Industry is even farther away. I definitely wouldn't do that unless you had the entire day for travel and walking through it.

You could check out the shops along Michigan Ave, if that's your thing.

I think vv might be talking about Marina City when he mentions the circular parking garages on the river. The buildings look sort of like honeycombs. They're really neat.

If you can get to Tribune Tower while walking up Michigan Ave, you'll see scraps of buildings from all over the world embedded in the tower. They're all labeled. They have a piece of the World Trade Center, the Taj Mahal, the Parthenon, The Alamo, and the Berlin Wall, just to name a few.

i still think im crazy for doing this big of a trip on amtrak as a first timer and doing it alone lol so everyone here is helping alot with making things familiar
I'm late to the thread...

I do almost all of my Amtrak travels alone, and love it. It seems to me now that traveling alone is a better way to meet other interesting travelers... when you are part of a couple, you tend to be more insular.

People are usually openly friendly, yet it is easy to put out a vibe of wanting little contact if you are tired, or want to engage in a book, something on your computer or smartphone, or - best yet - watching the view roll by.

Sounds like you have planned an excellent trip. Enjoy it!

I'm late to the thread...

I do almost all of my Amtrak travels alone, and love it. It seems to me now that traveling alone is a better way to meet other interesting travelers... when you are part of a couple, you tend to be more insular.

People are usually openly friendly, yet it is easy to put out a vibe of wanting little contact if you are tired, or want to engage in a book, something on your computer or smartphone, or - best yet - watching the view roll by.

Sounds like you have planned an excellent trip. Enjoy it!
I am looking forward to doing ALL my train travel solo. That way if I don't want to be bothered I can hide in a book or put my earphones in and ignor the world. But if I want conversation, I can go where I want when I want.

I am traveling coach on most of my trips because I don't want to isolate myself in my room, plus I don't usually eat at normal hours, I usually eat breakfast before the sun comes up, so bringing my own food in coach is the way I am going. No need to pay for something I won't use.

Your trip sounds great! Did you say a couple of days in Seattle? If so, don't forget when down on the waterfront to take a ferry ride across Puget Sound and back! It's a can't-miss experience! And you can catch a Metro Transit bus 30 miles east across Lake Washington (gorgeous mountain views) to North Bend,on the edge of the Cascade range, for $2.50. Trip planner and schedules for Metro Transit are here. Let me know if George's Bakery in North Bend is still making the best bear claw pastries this side of heaven!

best trip ever. just wanted to say thanks to everyone again. im already addicted and planning more trips haha

Glad to hear you had a great trip, and looking forward of reading your report!

Share photos or videos if you have it too!

best trip ever. just wanted to say thanks to everyone again. im already addicted and planning more trips haha
Great to hear! Glad it went so well and you now have "train addiction"! May it never be cured! :lol: If writing is your thing, be sure to post a trip report in the Trips and Travelogues section.
haha i just might do that! it will prob be a noob one though since this was my first trip and all and it wont be new info to anyone. incredible experience for me personally though in many ways!

Glad to hear you had a great trip, and looking forward of reading your report!
Share photos or videos if you have it too!
i have so many!

Glad you had a great trip Rogue. :)
thank you for the help it was very helpful and helped me enjoy the trip more

What did you end up doing during your layover in Chicago?
chicago was the tricky one because of the arrival and departure times for me. i arrived at 315pm and locked up my bags at the very large station that was a maze to me. then walked over to the willis tower for awhile. came back and taxied to the hotel on michigan. i fired up the internet to check for options etc. i decided to taxi it to Harry Careys for a nice meal and to catch the game on the other side to experience the sports bar thing in chicago haha. (and to make sure i caught the game!) drinks are wayy more expensive here then back in rochester haha. after that i called it and went back to the hotel. i was origionally hoping to hit up a nice jazz club but that can wait. the next morning i walked to millenium park from the station after i checked out and lockered my bags again. it was a nice (cold) walk to see more of chicago. and the park was great.

id like to go back though for a whole day because i still want to see the art institute, field museum, aquarium, and planetarium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back