MLB by Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather say GO EXPOS - but they moved to DC!
sad.gif
(I used to go 3-5 a year to MTR to see them play - I used to live 175 miles away!)

AAAHHHH... March. The 'Boys of Summer' are out on the diamond again and it won't be long before they head north. :cool: Time to post this link on getting to the park by train: http://railpassengerusa.com/powerpoint/MLB/MLB1.HTM

So make your plans and GO NATS! :lol:
Very useful site, particularly for Phillies fans wishing to travel to Citizens Bank Park - South (Nationals Park). :p

Seriously, the Nats have put together a really good team. I hope they get some well-deserved fan support. Being treated like a visiting team in your home park is not cool.

AAAHHHH... March. The 'Boys of Summer' are out on the diamond again and it won't be long before they head north. :cool: Time to post this link on getting to the park by train: http://railpassengerusa.com/powerpoint/MLB/MLB1.HTM

Very useful site, particularly for Phillies fans wishing to travel to Citizens Bank Park - South (Nationals Park). :p

Seriously, the Nats have put together a really good team. I hope they get some well-deserved fan support. Being treated like a visiting team in your home park is not cool.
Thanks... I think! :unsure:

:lol: We need all the help we can get! :lol: It is pretty bad when the Phillies are in town. A sea of red - but with a 'P' on the hats instead of a 'W.' :blush: In fact the Nats ran a promotion this spring for the homestand vs the Phillies in the beginning of May. One could pre-buy tickets, if the buyer had a Washington area Zip Code! :giggle:

It should be a good season in the NL east. I hope to Amtrak to PHL to see a game... But pity the Mets fans! :ph34r: :p

Looking for this to be the first time for the Cards to repeat! Glad to see so many cities have placed their stadiums within easy access of transit. Still looking for Arlington, Kansas City, and Tampa and to join the 21st century.

Looking for this to be the first time for the Cards to repeat! Glad to see so many cities have placed their stadiums within easy access of transit. Still looking for Arlington, Kansas City, and Tampa and to join the 21st century.
One might say it's time for them to rejoin the early-to-mid 20th century (in terms of transit access to stadiums).

One might say it's time for them to rejoin the early-to-mid 20th century (in terms of transit access to stadiums).
Indeed. In many ways, we're rediscovering something we lost when we all bought cars and picket fences. I see car travel as specific to the second half of the 20th century. Before and after cars there is transit. Modern transit is just that--very modern--and caters to the needs of today's citizens. Routes are added, changed, and eliminated all the time as we change the way we move about our cities. So yes, placing a stadium (and other tourist attractions) on transit routes is a necessity in a post-automobile world, a world which is inevitable and which we must deliberately create. Furthermore, if it is done right visitors will leave their cars at home. When we visit St. Louis, we take the train; to Kansas City, we drive. We are part of Kansas City's traffic problem, but in St. Louis, we are part of the transit solution.

I think a lot of the problem in securing support for transit, whether it be on rails or on rubber, is the public perception that transit is antiquated, and that individual car ownership is a more evolved form. It's not. It was a long and very expensive side detour which made a lot of money for a few capitalists at the expense of wrecking communities all across the country, to the point where we no longer even know our neighbours' names, or want to know them. I've met some people on the bus that I'm sure I never would have known if I had continued driving everywhere. Their stories, perceptions, and attitudes have cemented for me just how important the bus is to our daily lives. I could spend twenty minutes driving with me all alone in my selfish steel and glass bubble, but if I spend that time on the bus, I am forced into the lives of other people, and they are forced into mine. We have to coexist. This is the meaning of community. Transit brings community back into an America that has forgotten what community is.

Sorry for the rant, but as you can see, I'm more than a bit passionate about this. The above is pretty much the Cliff's notes for a term paper I wrote for one of my graduate classes.

The Miami Marlins are now in a new Baseball stadium in downtown Miami. You may want to edit the new stadium from the miami train Station when the new season begins. Hope and Baseball is here. All I hope is the Orioles end up with at least 70 wins.

Thanks... I think! :unsure:

:lol: We need all the help we can get! :lol: It is pretty bad when the Phillies are in town. A sea of red - but with a 'P' on the hats instead of a 'W.' :blush: In fact the Nats ran a promotion this spring for the homestand vs the Phillies in the beginning of May. One could pre-buy tickets, if the buyer had a Washington area Zip Code! :giggle:

It should be a good season in the NL east. I hope to Amtrak to PHL to see a game... But pity the Mets fans! :ph34r: :p
Even with this "Take Back The Park" promo the Phils Fans are still going to take over.. Sorry to say.. Considering it's only about 125 Miles from Philly and tickets are open.. They buy em! I think this will be more of a motive for Phils fans to buy tickets. This year it'll be the Phils and Fins in the end.. The nats will be a non issue as always.

OT.. Many times teams will travel between shorter distances such as WAS-PHL or PHL-NYP by Amtrak trains. It's interesting to see the short three car trains being pulled out of PHL.

Go Phils!!

AAAHHHH... March. The 'Boys of Summer' are out on the diamond again and it won't be long before they head north. :cool: Time to post this link on getting to the park by train: http://railpassenger...nt/MLB/MLB1.HTM

YUP! GO Phillies...

apparently the gNats are trying to keep us OUT of CBP-S....LOL I will be headed to CBP-W (pittsburgh) in a few weeks for the opening weekend...via (shhhh) PLANE...had to use up a credit before it went poof...would have taken the CL or something, but i would have had the overwhelming urge to stay on to CHI....

Great website, thanks for the post. I live near BNL and I try to get to a couple of cub games and a couple of cardinal games every year.

I've heard that new ball park in downtown Miami is really nice. Plus the Marlins are improved - and could win the NL East. And two trains a day - with perfect schedules (The Silver Star and Silver Meteor).

I hope to visit downtown Miami this season.

MLB ShleMLB! Minor League Baseball is where the enjoyment is.Low prices (except for the grossly overpriced Aces), close seats, cheaper food and beer and players, coaches and owners who will talk to you and sign autographs for kids.

The Reno Aces are within walking distance of Amtrak. Brooklyn Cyclones reachable by subway from Penn Station. Greenville, SC's team is downtown not too far from the station. Albuquerque's should be reachable by a bus from Amtrak if I remember it well. I can't remember how far from Amtrak are the other 38 teams we have seen in their home parks. Anyone help with other teams?

MLB ShleMLB! Minor League Baseball is where the enjoyment is.Low prices (except for the grossly overpriced Aces), close seats, cheaper food and beer and players, coaches and owners who will talk to you and sign autographs for kids.

The Reno Aces are within walking distance of Amtrak. Brooklyn Cyclones reachable by subway from Penn Station. Greenville, SC's team is downtown not too far from the station. Albuquerque's should be reachable by a bus from Amtrak if I remember it well. I can't remember how far from Amtrak are the other 38 teams we have seen in their home parks. Anyone help with other teams?
For the St. Louis Cardinals affiliates:

AAA-Memphis Redbirds

Distance from closest Amtrak (MEM): 12 blocks

Transit feasibility rating: A

Notes: Walkable, or bus #100

AA-Springfield Cardinals

Location: Hammons Field, Trafficway & Hammons Pkwy., Springfield, MO

Distance from closest Amtrak (SED): 120 miles

Transit feasibility rating: D

Notes: Requires Greyhound from STL or Trailways from KCY, then bus #15 to #2 to #5. The only thing saving this from an F is that it's actually possible.

A Adv.-Palm Beach Cardinals

Location: Roger Dean Stadium, Main St. & University Blvd., Jupiter, FL

Distance from closest Amtrak (WPB): 16 miles

Transit feasibility rating: F

Notes: No transit options exist.

A-Quad Cities River Bandits

Location: Modern Woodmen Park, Gaines St. & River Dr., Davenport, IA

Distance from current closest Amtrak (GBB): 54 miles

Distance from future closest Amtrak (MOL): 5 miles

Notes: Greyhound from CHI; the station is right across the street from the stadium. Even after the Quad Cities line opens, this is still the best option, as the Quad Cities do not operate trans-Mississippi transit.

A-Batavia Muckdogs

Distance from closest Amtrak (BUF): 30 miles

Transit feasibility rating: D

Notes: Adirondack Trailways bus, then a 2 mile walk.

Rookie-Johnson City Cardinals

Location: Spurnier Field, Legion St. and Main St., Johnson City, TN

Distance from closest Amtrak (LYH): 237 miles

Notes: Greyhound bus, then a six block walk.

The Blue Rocks are within walking distance of WIL. Not a short walk, but doable. Maybe a mile?

The Round Rock Express/AAA Farm of the Texas Rangers, are Sponsored by Amtrak and the Park Announcer always mentions it when Trains (UP Freights and the Eagle#21)Roll by the Stadium! (The tracks are across Highway 79 about 100 yards away!) There is no Stop in Roundrock but Austin is about 20 miles South and the Stop in Taylor is about 7 miles North!A Rent Car would be required to attend a Game! Too Bad that the Parent Rangers in Arlington have Amtrak Trains Roll Right by the Stadium but the Closest Stops are in Ft. Worth and Dallas (with Zero Public transportation) thanks to Jerry Jones and his greed! :angry2: Go Rangers!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Silver Cross Field, home of the Joliet Slammers (formerly the Jackhammers) is adjacent to Joliet Union Station, served by Amtrak and Metra as well as Pace bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back