Missouri River runner /Lincoln connection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbug119

Train Attendant
What's the chance of me missing the Lincoln connection after getting off the River Runner since there is only 1 hr between trains? And if I miss it, what are my options?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's a guaranteed connection, you'll probably just be put on the next train to Chicago.
I was looking at the IL and MO regional train schedules here( https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/253/377/Illinois-Service-Schedlule-040117.pdf), and it looks like 314(eastbound MO River Runner, arriving in Saint Louis at 1:55pm) would be a guaranteed connection to the 304 Lincoln Service train(departs STL at 3pm). I assume if by some weird chance the River Runner ran over 1:05 later than normal, you'd transfer in Saint Louis to the 306 Lincoln Service train(departs STL at 5:30pm). I wouldn't be surprised if they held train 306 for connecting 314 passengers, if by some chance 314 made it to STL slightly later than 5:30pm. In a worse case and rare scenario where 314 was super duper late, I'd assume Amtrak would put you up overnight at a local STL hotel/motel that was near Gateway Station, and you'd travel the next day.

If the stats that juckins.net keeps for past Amtrak on time arrival and departures is any indication(and here at https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/historychart.php?train_num=314&station=stl&date_start=03%2F01%2F2017&date_end=06%2F09%2F2017&sort=d_ar&chartsize=2&smooth=0), ONLY 2 times in the last 3 months did train 314 get there after the departure of train 304 at 3pm. Which was 4/12/17 at 3:15pm(1 hour and 20 minutes late), and 5/14/17 at 3:40(1 hour and 45 minutes late). So I wouldn't worry about this, and suspect the very worst that'd happen is that you transfer to Lincoln Service train 306 in Saint Louis at 5:30pm, instead of 304 at 3pm.

Thanks, that info helps! As long as I let my hotel in Chicago know, late arrival won't be a problem. Not excited about the outside possibility of spending the night in St Louis, but I guess that would be part of the train experience!

Not excited about the outside possibility of spending the night in St Louis, but I guess that would be part of the train experience!
Getting up early for the first morning departure -- at 4:35 a.m. -- could be another part of the train experience. LOL.

But you can probably ride a later train, since they have 5 a day, counting the Eagle.

Anyway, we're advised above you aren't likely to miss the connection.

I'm not certain (I'd have to look it up) but I think 314 and 304 are actually the same trainset. (The afternoon train from KCY-STL continues on to CHI!) So if 314 is late arriving into STL, then 304 can not depart STL since the equipment is on 314! :wacko:

Those trainsets no longer run through STL. They used to quite a few years ago, but are now two separate trainsets.

When i rode it a few years ago from kcy-stl-chi I I had to get off in STL and wait in the station. I've seen the Missouri River Runner sitting in Stl with extra baggage cars on it for some reason.

Back