Missing connection in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

debmep

Train Attendant
I am trying to plan for our March trip on the Pere Marquette to Chicago, then the SWC to Albuquerque. We spend 2 nights in Albuquerque then do a return trip to Chicago, & back to Grand Rapids. I am aware that our connection time on the return trip in Chicago could be considered a bit close, especially if the SWC if late.

I know that there are about 3 different options if we miss the connection. 1 Bus us home. 2. van us home. 3 Put us up for a night in a hotel, then send us on our way the next evening. We built an extra day into this anniversary trip just in case, but I certainly would rather get home when we are suppose to.

If we miss the connection and a hotel is offered, which hotel is usually used? Would that offer include some taxi & food vouchers or would we be responsible for those? Thanks for the help.

A few years ago, I was traveling from Wisconsin to Michigan via the Empire Builder. We arrived late in Chicago, too late to catch my connection on the Pere Marquette. Amtrak gave me a voucher to use at the Inn of Chicago for the night, plus $30 for cab fare and $30 for meal money. Other times that my connection was missed, they've provided bus transportation.

Every time that I've missed a connection in Chicago, I was put up in a different hotel. I presume that they have agreements with a number of hotels, and go with whoever gives the best deal at the moment.

It seems like I've always made money off of these unexpected layovers....

Every time that I've missed a connection in Chicago, I was put up in a different hotel. I presume that they have agreements with a number of hotels, and go with whoever gives the best deal at the moment.
And they also consider which one's actually have spare rooms that night. For that matter, if they have enough passengers who misconnected, they could well end up at a couple of different hotels.

It seems like I've always made money off of these unexpected layovers....
no wonder Amtrak runs in the deep red if others like you are profiting from poor on-time performance!

I am trying to plan for our March trip on the Pere Marquette to Chicago, then the SWC to Albuquerque. We spend 2 nights in Albuquerque then do a return trip to Chicago, & back to Grand Rapids. I am aware that our connection time on the return trip in Chicago could be considered a bit close, especially if the SWC if late.

I know that there are about 3 different options if we miss the connection. 1 Bus us home. 2. van us home. 3 Put us up for a night in a hotel, then send us on our way the next evening. We built an extra day into this anniversary trip just in case, but I certainly would rather get home when we are suppose to.

If we miss the connection and a hotel is offered, which hotel is usually used? Would that offer include some taxi & food vouchers or would we be responsible for those? Thanks for the help.
Two years I was on a very late in a nearly filled Empire Builder that arrived CHI in early morning hours of the New Year. In this particular case, all of the passengers were put up at the Hyatt Regency near McCormick Place. Since then there have been other posted instances on this board indicating passengers were sent to the same Hyatt. Voucher for the hotel was provided and presented at checkin. Cash was provide for round trip taxi fare to and from the station. Cash was also provided for breakfast and IIRC for lunch as well. The cash amount received for food did not last long at the Hyatt!

Hi,

The idea that a passenger saves a few $ from their cab or food hand out is hardly "profiteering"... Keep in mind that the poor passenger has had the inconvenience of missing a connection through no fault of their own, a couple of $ won't keep Amtrak in the black!

Ed :cool:

And they also consider which one's actually have spare rooms that night. For that matter, if they have enough passengers who misconnected, they could well end up at a couple of different hotels.
That should figure into the price.
I imagine that Amtrak works it just like the airlines do.

no wonder Amtrak runs in the deep red if others like you are profiting from poor on-time performance!
It must also be why airlines are running deep into the red. I've made money off of their misconnects, as well.
But, really, is it my fault I can't stuff down ten bucks for breakfast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back