Minot ND station reopens after flood damage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some news links

http://www.kfyrtv.com/News_Stories.asp?news=53402

http://www.kxnet.com/getArticle.asp?setCity=bis&s=rss&ArticleId=874103

There's also new release on Amtrak site.

Now we can read again the brochure from the station that cautions, "Do not get left in Minot!"
Is it true that Minot is "the Busiest Station between SEA and CHI" on the High Line! I would have thought that MSP might have that distinction???(or Milwaukee??? Thanks Jeff! Forgot about Beer City!!???) :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Milwaukee is by far and away the busiest station on the High Line, and it's not even close. Minneapolis-St. Paul is a distant second. According to the latest figures, Minot was 8th, and wasn't even the busiest in North Dakota (Williston got that honor). I got the stats based on total ridership from Oct. 2010 through Sept. 2011, so of course Minot was way, way below what it normally would have been otherwise in terms of ridership. But factoring in everything, including lost months of service and allowing for a busier summer season, it probably would have ended up about fourth or fifth, behind Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Whitefish, and maybe Spokane.

Milwaukee is by far and away the busiest station on the High Line, and it's not even close. Minneapolis-St. Paul is a distant second. According to the latest figures, Minot was 8th, and wasn't even the busiest in North Dakota (Williston got that honor). I got the stats based on total ridership from Oct. 2010 through Sept. 2011, so of course Minot was way, way below what it normally would have been otherwise in terms of ridership. But factoring in everything, including lost months of service and allowing for a busier summer season, it probably would have ended up about fourth or fifth, behind Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Whitefish, and maybe Spokane.
When you say Milwaukee is busier, are you factoring in only EB ridership or Hiawatha Service ridership as well? I know that Minot is not the busiest station between the endpoints... There are many inconsistencies here: 1) Williston's ridership for FY10 was 24,586 and Minot's was 40,360, so Minot is the largest in the state by ridership 2) St. Paul/Minneapolis had 128,658 for their ridership, Whitefish had 66,813, Spokane had 50,279, and Seattle, Chicago, Portland, and Milwaukee all probably have greater EB ridership than Minot. 3) It is incorrect to say that Milwaukee is far ahead in ridership of the Twin Cities because I guarantee that once you look at EB ridership only they would be equal or near equal... possibly even larger for the Twin Cities

Milwaukee is by far and away the busiest station on the High Line, and it's not even close. Minneapolis-St. Paul is a distant second.
But Milwaukee isn't on the Hi Line. The Hi Line is the route of the Great Northern Railway, from St. Paul to Seattle.

In any case, I'm shocked that no mention is made of the fact that the platform could have been used by passengers for weeks and weeks before the depot was reopened on Tuesday. We were told that the platform was damaged, but I saw no repairs (and no new damage, for that matter) last weekend. None. Maybe they power-washed the platform, but I still saw a section of platform where the train stopped that was covered by silt, so any cleaning was pretty pathetic. A remarkably poor show of customer service.

I'm glad that I was able to debark at the "closed" station on Friday morning, and board at the equally "closed" station on Saturday evening, rather than having to bum a ride 50 miles to Stanley.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went by the numbers found here: http://www.greatamericanstations.com/. I'm sure there are more comprehensive lists out there somewhere, and easier ways to compile the data, but then I have a way of making the simple hard. :lol: And when putting in Milwaukee, I went by the link that said Minot was the busiest station on the Empire Builder line between Seattle and Chicago. I shouldn't have used the term "High Line". The Great American Stations link, I'm sure, used numbers from any type of ridership, which of course skews Milwaukee very high. The same could be said of Edmonds and Everett, which are stops for Cascades trains and light rail as well.

Bottom line: the numbers I used were from the Great American Stations site and factored in all rail lines. I was aware of that, just used the numbers off the one site I remembered that had ridership numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back