Minimum check-in time for LD trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel

Train Attendant
In a few weeks I'll be taking the route New York Penn - Washington - Chicago, via NER and CL. In order to find a best price, I'd have an only 2-hour layover in DC. I'd like to walk around downtown a bit. At what time will it be fine for checking in at Union Station? I won't be checking any baggage (only carry-on), and I'll go coach. 3:40 pm is ok? (train leaves at 4)

Thanks!
rolleyes.gif

That is a tight schedule that is possible if your have your tickets and know what platform your train will depart from. If you do not have those it is best to be at the station at least 30 minutes ahead of departure time. Have you ever been to WUS.

That is a tight schedule that is possible if your have your tickets and know what platform your train will depart from. If you do not have those it is best to be at the station at least 30 minutes ahead of departure time. Have you ever been to WUS.
Yes, I have been there twice. But I don't remember too much the station layout. From which platform does CL usually leave?

Just to clarify, you will not actually be "checking in" for your train from WAS to CHI. You will either have your paper tickets in hand from when you

first checked in in New York, or (more likely) you will have been issued an e-ticket and will already have the confirmation print-out. So theoretically

as long as you are physically on board the train before it leaves, there is no cut-off time to "check in" unlike an airline flight where they may

give away your seat if you're not on board the aircraft at least 15 minutes prior to departure.

So the real question is how comfortable you are in finding the correct track. To me, 20 minutes sounds like a reasonable cushion. However,

even assuming you arrive on time from NYP, I don't think you'll have terribly much time to "walk around downtown." You might just find it more

relaxing to explore Union Station.

Usually Gate A or B, one of the far left gates. Also remember that if you have a sleeper on the CL, you can also wait in the Club Acela and have early boarding from there!
excl.gif
And I agree 2 hours is not much time to walk around! Even though WUS is in downtown, just to walk to the US Capitol Building - which is very close - may be like a 20 minute walk each way! And that doesn't include going thru Security to get into the building. If you want, just walk to the front doors of the station, and you can see many of the important buildings in Washington!
smile.gif

Washington is very Warm and Humid in the Summer, walking outside isn't pleasant! As has been said, you can see the Capitol from the Front Entrance of Union Station and the Senate and Congressional Office Buildings are also close by on each side! I agree with checking out Union Station, in addition to bein g a Mall (all the usual Suspects) there is a Food court downstairs, some more upscale Eateries and bars on the Main Level and the Subway runs out of the Station as do MARC, VRE and lots of Amtrak Trains!

Id say allow @ least an hour between Trains, find your Gate on the Video Board, snag a seat and be ready for Long Lines for Coach! One tip that lots of us use since you havent ridden the Cap before is to use a RedCap to take you to the train, they will get you to your Car ahead oif the Thundering heard! (the ride is roundabout through the bowels of the station but no worry!)Best $5 youll ever spend (they work for Amtrak but tips are customary!)

Also Coach seats are assigned by the Coach Attendant hen you board, on Superliners the Odd Numbers are the Window Seats, Even the Aisles! I like to either sit in anywhere from #15-#19 or #43-#51. Look @ the car layout for Coaches and try to avoid seats by the Stairs or @ the end of the Car if possible! Have a good trip, remember you can't be late when you're early!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim. the Red Cap ride to the CL is not roundabout. It is about as straight as you can get. The CL is usually on one of the tracks on the left end. And FYI - That was the first time I ever went via the Luggage room. Every other time, I ride out to the far end of the tracks before crossing over then. (Or as Penny says, almost to Boston!
laugh.gif
)

Usually Gate A or B, one of the far left gates. Also remember that if you have a sleeper on the CL, you can also wait in the Club Acela and have early boarding from there!
excl.gif
And I agree 2 hours is not much time to walk around! Even though WUS is in downtown, just to walk to the US Capitol Building - which is very close - may be like a 20 minute walk each way! And that doesn't include going thru Security to get into the building. If you want, just walk to the front doors of the station, and you can see many of the important buildings in Washington!
smile.gif
Nice try, but not correct. Gate A is for arriving passengers, and boarding Marc trains. Gate B is for boarding Marc trains M-F.

If the train is "upstairs" (which is 90% of the time) it will be on tracks 15 or 16, and will usually board from gate D, occasionally gate C. If it is downstairs it will be on track 25 or 26 and board from gates J or K.

Jim. the Red Cap ride to the CL is not roundabout. It is about as straight as you can get. The CL is usually on one of the tracks on the left end. And FYI - That was the first time I ever went via the Luggage room. Every other time, I ride out to the far end of the tracks before crossing over then. (Or as Penny says, almost to Boston!
laugh.gif
)
As we say Dave, YMMV! Everytime I've used a RedCap @ Union Station theyve taken a Roundabout way to the Train! Of course one time was on National Train Day last year when the place was a Madhouse with People and Equipment, but even on Regular Days it seemed that we took the "Long Way"! (But too you the Long way is the Short cut! :giggle: )

Well, I think I won't be printing an e-ticket. I travel standby on my flights so everything I can get fully refundable/cancellable, I buy it that way. But again, I'd be printing my tickets at a Quik-trak location in Penn Station, so I wouldn't need a huge amount of time. My short break out of WUS has only one exact reason: I want to buy a DC United jersey. I've seen that both by subway or bus it's pretty straight-out. Besides that, I'd love to get a window seat, I wonder if there is some way of pre-choosing my seat at the ticket counter when I arrive.

Talking about walking in a humid and hot summer city, you should try Buenos Aires - almost half of the summer days temperature rises over 100
happy.gif

Thanks again for your support guys!
hi.gif
I'm really looking forward to doing this quick train trip.

Well, I think I won't be printing an e-ticket. I travel standby on my flights so everything I can get fully refundable/cancellable, I buy it that way. But again, I'd be printing my tickets at a Quik-trak location in Penn Station, so I wouldn't need a huge amount of time. My short break out of WUS has only one exact reason: I want to buy a DC United jersey. I've seen that both by subway or bus it's pretty straight-out. Besides that, I'd love to get a window seat, I wonder if there is some way of pre-choosing my seat at the ticket counter when I arrive.

Talking about walking in a humid and hot summer city, you should try Buenos Aires - almost half of the summer days temperature rises over 100
happy.gif

hi.gif
The ticket office has nothing to do with the assignment of seats on the train. You have a 50/50 chance and check with coach attendant if you lose that gamble...LOL

laugh.gif
)
As we say Dave, YMMV! Everytime I've used a RedCap @ Union Station theyve taken a Roundabout way to the Train! Of course one time was on National Train Day last year when the place was a Madhouse with People and Equipment, but even on Regular Days it seemed that we took the "Long Way"! (But too you the Long way is the Short cut! :giggle: )
Our trip last Nov we took the Red Cap from the CA and took the loooong, round about way.

happy.gif

hi.gif
The ticket office has nothing to do with the assignment of seats on the train. You have a 50/50 chance and check with coach attendant if you lose that gamble...LOL
Well, If i lose that, I'd be at the observation car in a few seconds
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back