Mineta Resigns

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
White House spokesman Tony Snow made the announcement at the White House briefing on Friday. He said Mineta wasn't forced out of the job and that the president was "happy" with him.
Guilty conscience catching up for doing the president's dirty work? It doesn't give ANY explanation of WHY he is choosing to resign.

I just saw the following in a news clip"

The White House has not nominated a successor. One possible replacement mentioned by transportation insiders is Marion Blakey, who heads the Federal Aviation Administration.
Anyone know anything about this one?

jccollins said:
White House spokesman Tony Snow made the announcement at the White House briefing on Friday. He said Mineta wasn't forced out of the job and that the president was "happy" with him.
Guilty conscience catching up for doing the president's dirty work? It doesn't give ANY explanation of WHY he is choosing to resign.
The man is 74 years old and has health problems. Does he really need to provide a public reason for wanting to live a private life?

PRR 60 said:
jccollins said:
The man is 74 years old and has health problems. Does he really need to provide a public reason for wanting to live a private life?
NO, but the man should be held accountable for his terrible job as transportation secretary as a Bush stooge and turning his back on the principals of the Democratic Party. The man was anti-Amtrak which will hurt the country in the long run. He supported policies which left many Americans who are poor or disabled without reliable and cost effective transportation. He hurt our country's national security and economic well-being by carrying out policies which hurt our rail system of transportation.

He has a lot of explaining to do. He accepted and carried out policies which were against the people, workers, elderly, minorities, and the working-classes. It is unfortunate that he won't be held accountable for his actions against the people.

PennCentralFan said:
It is unfortunate that he won't be held accountable for his actions against the people.
Maybe just maybe that is why he has decided to resign!!!! The damage is already done!!! OBS...

PennCentralFan said:
...but the man should be held accountable for his terrible job as transportation secretary as a Bush stooge and turning his back on the principals of the Democratic Party. The man was anti-Amtrak which will hurt the country in the long run. He supported policies which left many Americans who are poor or disabled without reliable and cost effective transportation. He hurt our country's national security and economic well-being by carrying out policies which hurt our rail system of transportation.
The country is left without reliable and cost effective transportation? Oh, I'm sorry. I must have missed something. Is Amtrak actually gone and no one told me? Were dozens of trains cut without my knowing it? There seems to be lots of trains on the NEC and in California. The Starlight and Zephyr and the Crescent are still out there as far as I know. So, please enlighten me on how you came to the conclusion that the poor, downtrodden masses must now do without because of Norman Mineta and he must now answer for his crimes.

And while we're at it, exactly what was the funding provided to Amtrak in the last three years of the Clinton administration (who was, I believe, a Democrat)? How about $571 million, $521 million and $521 million. Add those up and you are just a bit higher than today's one year funding. I bet the big, bad Congress cut the funding that Amtrak asked for and President Clinton really wanted to provide? Well, no. Amtrak and Clinton got exactly what they asked for: $571 million, $521 million and $521 million. Requested and provided. And, here's the punch line. Amtrak supporters praised that funding level. Now, $900 million is a "shut down" budget and Mineta is the enemy of the people. Interesting logic.

First, I want to remind everyone that Norman Mineta has served his country in the past with distinction, as well as had unmentionable horrors committed against him and his family.

At 10 years old, he and his family were sent to internment camps during WWII. Years later, he was largely the person responsible for the US Government formally apologizing and compensating thousands of families whom also suffered the same fate as his. Something that I might add, helped thousands of workers, elderly, and minorities.

In 1953, he joined the US Army and served with distinction for his country.

He has served as Mayor of San Jose and was a member of the House of Representatives for 20 years.

Next, it should be noted that most people generally credit him for restoring confidence in the airline's after 9/11. He was largely responsible for organizing and creating the TSA, before it became part of the Homeland Security Department.

So while I don't agree with some of what he's done while working in the White House, please let's keep in mind that he has had a long and distinguished career and by and large has tried to do what he thinks is right for his country.

We may never know why he choose to come out against Amtrak, whether he was ordered to do that, or if it was his choice, or if he just didn't fight hard enough against pressure from others in the administration. But one should not condem a man for one mistake when he has done so much good for this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back