Metra service between Chicago and Rockford to begin in 2027

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Illinois isn’t blaming Amtrak for equipment reliability issues. Amtrak is the one who submitted grant requests; along with the MIPRC, for Charger overhauls in 2022 and again this year. Either Illinois agreed to this or they’re asleep at the wheel and Amtrak took the initiative.
I have noticed that in general if a State is willing to take over operation of a short shuburban route, Amtrak will happily hand it over to them. The largest of such handover was that of the Clocker Service on the NEC. Amtrak handed those over to NJT which promptly converted the New York - Philadelphia service to Philadelphia Trenton service since it has traditionally been impossible to get NJT and SEPTA to operate a service in collaboration. But we digress. I don't think there is much reason to read too much into the fact that it is METRA that is proposed to operate this service and not Amtrak.

Metra is also considering other "regional" service to nearby cities like Madison, Peoria, Champaign since ridership is still down from pre-pandemic levels.
Where did you hear that Metra is considering running service to Madison, WI? If true, would this proposal go through Janesville?

Where did you hear that Metra is considering running service to Madison, WI? If true, would this proposal go through Janesville?
Service to Janesville and Madison is among new routes being considered, but it would require restoring several miles of track south of Madison. METRA is looking at new regional routes to partly make up for lower ridership post-pandemic. Service on current UP lines could easily be extended to DeKalb, Janesville/Madison or Milwaukee/Racine shoreline route. Other potential routes might be to Peoria via Rock Island line or to Kankakee/Champaign on CN if route is double-tracked. Much of this information is available from High Speed Rail Alliance based in Chicago along with Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning.

Service to Janesville and Madison is among new routes being considered, but it would require restoring several miles of track south of Madison. METRA is looking at new regional routes to partly make up for lower ridership post-pandemic. Service on current UP lines could easily be extended to DeKalb, Janesville/Madison or Milwaukee/Racine shoreline route. Other potential routes might be to Peoria via Rock Island line or to Kankakee/Champaign on CN if route is double-tracked. Much of this information is available from High Speed Rail Alliance based in Chicago along with Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning.
The High Speed Rail Alliance doesn’t plan routes. The only other Metra extension on the table is extending the UP-W to Dekalb. The best way for Metra to increase their ridership is run more trains on lines they already serve.

Why stop there? Might as well push on to Galena and Dubuque... :)
Well. that was kinda the gist of the article - get people to O'Hare rather than to Iowa airports to fly to O'Hare.

But seriously, you'll have to to talk to ole' General Grant about Galena. But at those distances I don't think the gallery cars will be very popular and I doubt Metra will want to buy single level cars (unless they still have a bar car lurking somewhere in a yard somewhere).

It's all a bit moot, even if the county in question becomes officially interested in an extension. To get beyond Rockford requires using CN tracks, and CN either isn't playing ball or is asking for the moon and stars to add a couple of trains to this line. If Illinois had CN's cooperation, the first stage of this would be out to Galena or Dubuque, not ending at Rockford.

I have noticed that in general if a State is willing to take over operation of a short shuburban route, Amtrak will happily hand it over to them. The largest of such handover was that of the Clocker Service on the NEC. Amtrak handed those over to NJT which promptly converted the New York - Philadelphia service to Philadelphia Trenton service since it has traditionally been impossible to get NJT and SEPTA to operate a service in collaboration. But we digress. I don't think there is much reason to read too much into the fact that it is METRA that is proposed to operate this service and not Amtrak.
Of course, these days this tends to be true right up until Amtrak risks losing a commuter contract that they can try to spanner. Amtrak has kicked up a fuss twice (that I know of): First was losing VRE (the state had to go to court to get access to Union Station), then there was the Hartford Line (where Connecticut reportedly had to remind Amtrak exactly who owned the line east of New Haven).

Of course, these days this tends to be true right up until Amtrak risks losing a commuter contract that they can try to spanner. Amtrak has kicked up a fuss twice (that I know of): First was losing VRE (the state had to go to court to get access to Union Station), then there was the Hartford Line (where Connecticut reportedly had to remind Amtrak exactly who owned the line east of New Haven).
Yes. Commuter Contracts are a different matter. Somehow Amtrak feels entitled to cling onto Commuter Contracts that they are actually not able to serve efficiently due to certain financial constraints that they are required to operate under by law.

If they want to extend it, it would seem more sensible to extend it north of Rockford to Rockton and South Beloit/Beloit. Are there any tracks along that route?
It's the City of Freeport pushing for the expansion - why would they want to extend service to Beloit? Plus Illinois would be more likely to kick in funds for service within Illinois over service to Wisconsin (not that Metra doesn't already serve cities in Wisconsin).

Back