Meridian or Hattiesburg

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the years I have taken 10 trips on Amtrak's Crescent. The only southern state I haven't made a stop in has been Mississippi. I was wondering which city would be better to visit in Mississippi,Meridian or Hattiesburg ? Any input and thoughts on hotels would be appreciated.

Over the years I have taken 10 trips on Amtrak's Crescent. The only southern state I haven't made a stop in has been Mississippi. I was wondering which city would be better to visit in Mississippi,Meridian or Hattiesburg ? Any input and thoughts on hotels would be appreciated.
:hi: Hattiesburg has lots going for it: a zoo/bike trails/University/golf courses/bed and breakfasts/motels etc. Google it up , they have a nice web site with a video and highlights for tourists! I dont know about meridian, going through on the Crescent it didnt look like much to me but maybe oothers have info! ;)

I would go with Meridian, MS. There are plenty of hotels, Hilton to Super8. Either stop would be good if you just want to go for the ride.

The Meridian Amtrak Station, also known as Union Station, is located on 1901 Front Street, Meridian, Mississippi. The station is included in the Union Station Historic District within the larger Meridian Downtown Historic District, both of which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Union Station, officially dedicated on December 11, 1997, includes several modes of passenger transportation including the Meridian Transit System, AMTRAK, Norfolk Southern rail corridor, Greyhound, Trailways and other providers of transit services. Meeting rooms on the mezzanine level are designed for community activities, the existing east wing houses Meridian's economic development agency and an old Railway Express Agency (REA) building has been converted into the Meridian Railroad Museum. Further restoration and development of the Union Station REA building will be a major tourist attraction, inviting Multi-Modal Transport Center (MMTC) patrons to learn more about Meridian railroading history

I'm with Ed although the county jail is in sight of the Meridian depot; razor wire and more. There's an old cafe about a half a block from the depot that makes great lunches. It's on the opposite (west) side of the street from the depot. There's even a shoe shine parlor across from the magnificent Meridian depot which also doubles as Amtrak crew base headquarters (somehow Amtrak never got into the huge depot.)Uptown is just about the same as Hattiesburg; an old sleepy southern metroplois. You can make a one day turn starting out of NOL and have about 7 hours in Hattiesburg (the zoo ain't much; they only have one of each kind of animal;the last time we went there was a sign on the elephant's cage~ "ELEPHANT DEAD". They had a train that belched so much smoke you'd swear it was steam powered)or you can go further to Meridian and have about a four hour layover.Meridian depot is probably a lot safer place when the sun goes down~ they have 24 hour security guards.

Will there be taxi's at either station at train time ?

Yes, Taxi will be waiting for you.

however, in case you need it - I always bring a number to call.

VETERANS TAXI 601-544-4000

5716 U S Highway 49, Hattiesburg, MS

MERIDIAN CAB CO 601-693-6338

2415 5th St, Meridian, MS

Yes, Taxi will be waiting for you.

however, in case you need it - I always bring a number to call.

VETERANS TAXI 601-544-4000

5716 U S Highway 49, Hattiesburg, MS

MERIDIAN CAB CO 601-693-6338

2415 5th St, Meridian, MS
MrEd and Hadley,I just wanted to thank you both for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back