Merchants who give the most AGR purchase points?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Within the Amtrak guest rewards shopping portal there are many online merchants who give points with each purchase. The traveler pointed us to magazines.com who's offer is 25 points per dollar. Home Depot gives 4 points per dollar (if they ever give them to you) and other merchants give only one point per dollar spent.

There are 100's of merchants in the system and it would take a great deal of time going through all of them.

Anyone who knows the merchants who provide the best deals for points please point them out.

Groupon comes to mind. Also, 1-800-Flowers had a whopping 25 points per dollar during Valentines Day. They probably run similar specials for Mothers Day and other "flower holidays".

Petcare RX gives 16 points/$1. I have 3 cats and 1 dog which that I spend about $200 every 3 months. That will get me over 12,000 points a year for something I would have to buy anyway.

Groupon comes to mind. Also, 1-800-Flowers had a whopping 25 points per dollar during Valentines Day. They probably run similar specials for Mothers Day and other "flower holidays".

Yep-that one alone netted me nearly 5000 points! I have also started ordering office supplies online for work, which also adds up quick. I also earn a ton through car rental (150 pts/day) and hotels, typically 500 points per stay, or 1 pt/$ depending on which works out to the most points.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get a ton from Groupon (4x Dollar, though I feel it used to be 7x), and iTunes (also 4x). Nordstrom is another big earner for me, you get 7/ dollar and free shipping and returns.

In a post made by the traveler he reported that Magazines.com was giving 25 points per dollar. I placed a subscription for 3 RR magazines last month and by my calculation they owe me 2300 points. Paid on lasts month credit card but no points so far. Coming off an experience with Home Depot where I had to call to even get 1/4 of the points that I was supposed to receive, I am not certain if the Amtrak AGR shopping portal works as it should.

I get a ton from Groupon (4x Dollar, though I feel it used to be 7x), and iTunes (also 4x). Nordstrom is another big earner for me, you get 7/ dollar and free shipping and returns.
Most of what I see from Groupon is a daily deal for a hair salon or spa. Can't see a way of getting many points that way.

What would be REALLY NICE, (and trust me, not hard for AGR's web guys to do) is to offer one COMPLETE LISTING of ALL the retail partners.

I often find my family members shopping on line, stop them ('cause they are not using the AGR portal) but then have to go thru a tedious search, by category, to find for example: Finish Line, or Mountain Hardware, or others.

It would be GREAT if once could just go to ALL merchants listing somewhere on the page.....

I agree fully!
smile.gif
Most airlines do that, so why not AGR?
huh.gif

If you're looking for iTunes, you have to guess that it is under "Music". However, if you want the Apple Store, you can find it under "Computers" AND "Music"!
wacko.gif

And as said, you have to guess which category some of the "unusual" stores are listed under. It would be so much easier to just go to a list and chose "XYZ store"!
rolleyes.gif

We need a member that has the time to go to the AGR shopping portal, pull down the menu catagories and compile a list of all merchants and the shopping points that they offer. If no one does this by mid May when I get back, I'll take on the task. Several times I've made online purchases only to discover those merchants in the shopping portal.

We need a member that has the time to go to the AGR shopping portal, pull down the menu catagories and compile a list of all merchants and the shopping points that they offer. If no one does this by mid May when I get back, I'll take on the task. Several times I've made online purchases only to discover those merchants in the shopping portal.
I think it is awfully nice of you to offer to do that, Thank You.

In a more reasonable world shouldn't AGR do that? Of course they should also issue to us the points which we have earned! :blink:

I have nothing better to do with my time!
mosking.gif
(Meaning I don't have many trips planned!
sad.gif
)

I'll attempt to compile a list, and pin it to the AGR forum. If you believe what the page say, there are over 1,000 merchants. Thus it may take some time to do so!
ohmy.gif
I'll try to put one letter on a separate page.

For Groupon, at least in Pittsburgh, I get a ton because my family buys things like carpet cleaning (55 for 3 rooms,) and a fair amount of restaurants. Its money I was already spending, so easy points. I just wish they would do the offer for the Body Shop again. It was $20 for $45 dollars, so I made out with AGR points and various bath stuff.

The AGR Merchants List is now complete - and pinned to this forum!

That thread is locked (to help keep it clean and not have unnecessary posts). If you find any errors in rates or categories, additions, deletions or misspellings, please send me a PM. I will update it as soon as I can.

PLEASE HELP ME TO HELP YOU AND OTHERS!

Dog Rancher said:
1337571265[/url]' post='368507']Did I mis-read the iTunes offer? I thought it was a one-shot deal???
Yes, if you thought it was a one-shot deal. Remember you have to enter thru AGR (not directly thru iTunes). What I do is buy it thru iTunes (via Points for Shopping) on my computer, then you can reinstall it for free on your iPad, iPhone or iPod -and earn AGR points. I have many 3'5 or 30 point exries from iTunes!
cool.gif

Yep-that one alone netted me nearly 5000 points! I have also started ordering office supplies online for work, which also adds up quick. I also earn a ton through car rental (150 pts/day) and hotels, typically 500 points per stay, or 1 pt/$ depending on which works out to the most points.
What do you have to do to make sure you get credit for your purchase?

Steve P. said:
1337639713[/url]' post='368617']
Shortline said:
1331740098[/url]' post='353415']
Sorcha said:
1331703191[/url]' post='353363']Groupon comes to mind. Also, 1-800-Flowers had a whopping 25 points per dollar during Valentines Day. They probably run similar specials for Mothers Day and other "flower holidays".
What do you have to do to make sure you get credit for your purchase?
The most important thing is to be sure to enter the site via "Points for Shopping " If you exter (say) Best Buy via Points for Shopping, you earn AGR points. If you enter via bestbuy.com directly, you do not earn AGR points!

Last edited by a moderator:
the_traveler said:
1337572730[/url]' post='368514']
Dog Rancher said:
1337571265[/url]' post='368507']Did I mis-read the iTunes offer? I thought it was a one-shot deal???
Yes, if you thought it was a one-shot deal. Remember you have to enter thru AGR (not directly thru iTunes). What I do is buy it thru iTunes (via Points for Shopping) on my computer, then you can reinstall it for free on your iPad, iPhone or iPod -and earn AGR points. I have many 3'5 or 30 point exries from iTunes!
cool.gif
Thanks for the help.

Back