Menus....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well as permanent as anything ever is with Amtrak. :) But yes, it's supposedly a cost-cutting move. Of course the penny-pinchers sometimes only look at costs, and not the fact that some passengers make their entire travel plans based on things like quality of travel and variety of meals. (as was evidenced by the attempt at one point to move all diner meals to styrofoam and plastic and while it saved money on costs, it also resulted in fewer people using the diner.)

There's an old adage that's attributed to many different people, which is "Nobody ever cut their way to prosperity". Sometimes the wording is a little different but the point is that it's foolish to think you can make more money by just cutting things. Cutting costs almost always cuts revenue at the same time; the bet you're making is just that it cuts costs more than revenue.

I'm not sure how many Amtrak riders really make travel plans based on having two different menus on two different trains, though. I do think some people might make travel plans based on train meals being better than, say, airline meals or bus meals. So I think as long as Amtrak keeps the quality reasonably good, having an identical menu on different trains probably will save them more on costs than they lose in revenue.

I go into different McD's, and surprise, they have the same menu. Different Denny's, have the same menu. Different Red Lobsters, have the same menu.

On Amtrak, I just get the beef entrée one day, and the chicken entrée on the next.

I go into different McD's, and surprise, they have the same menu. Different Denny's, have the same menu. Different Red Lobsters, have the same menu.

On Amtrak, I just get the beef entrée one day, and the chicken entrée on the next.
I just read today where McDonald's earnings are going down the toilet and they plan to roll out drastic changes including reagional menus. Of course this is just what Amtrak turned AWAY from last year!

Comparing McD's or any other restaurant chain to Amtrak's LD train Dining cars seems a stretch.

Once the train is moving - Amtrak has no competition. LOL

Did you know McD's makes most of their money from the rent they charge franchise owners?

McD's is reacting to other fast food places that are growing even though those other places have a more limited menu than McD's does.

Comparing McD's or any other restaurant chain to Amtrak's LD train Dining cars seems a stretch.

Once the train is moving - Amtrak has no competition. LOL

Did you know McD's makes most of their money from the rent they charge franchise owners?

McD's is reacting to other fast food places that are growing even though those other places have a more limited menu than McD's does.
Prospective passengers who have been turned off by the decline in service likely won't be on the train when it starts rolling. It is a simple formula for bisiness success - offer a quality product and buyers will come.

There's SOME regional changes.

There are a few in New England where you can get a McLobster Roll for example. ;-)

There are a few in New England where you can get a McLobster Roll for example. ;-)
That is on the Downeaster (Boston - Portland ME). Food service on the Downeaster is provided by a contractor, not Amtrak.

That is on the Downeaster (Boston - Portland ME). Food service on the Downeaster is provided by a contractor, not Amtrak.
I don't think they have McDonalds on the Downeaster.

Food service on the Downeaster is provided by Epicurean Feast, and no, they do not call it a "McLobster Roll."

Food service on the Downeaster is provided by Epicurean Feast, and no, they do not call it a "McLobster Roll."
No one said they did.

Please reread what I wrote.

There are McDonald's that DO offer different menu items. One such item that you can find at some McDonald's on the East Coast is the McLobster. I never said that any train carried such an item and called it a McLobster.

My issue is that the beef entree is marginal, the chicken entree is terrible... so if I order the marginal beef entree on the first day, do I repeat that mediocre meal, or do I branch out and try the terrible one just for the sake of variety?

I'll be honest, I almost always have found the beef entree far better than marginal, generally I rank is as very good. My only regret tends to be ordering when I leave Atlanta on a Sunday night and can't get wine with it.

I've found that the Marketplace Specials vary by train. I like the Amsteak and Amburger, but I order the specials once in a while to mix it up a bit. The smoked grilled cheese sandwich on the CONO is delicious.

If current trends continue maybe they'll be able to ask "Beef, chicken, fish or pasta?" without need for any menus.
"What's the difference?"

"The beef is brown with brown sauce, the chicken is white with brown sauce, the fish is white with white sauce, and the pasta is white with red sauce."

Four days in to my five day trip and I've already had the Mac & Cheese and Hot Dog from the kids menu!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back