Menu on SW Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

travelchick45

Train Attendant
I have seen people talk about an express menu for dinning and also a regular menu. Why would they use an express menu?

When a train is due to arrive at its terminating location during a regularly scheduled meal period, an express menu makes it easier for the diner crew to clean up and get the diner emptied of passengers before arrival.

Likewise, a train leaving its originating station well into the dinner hours will offer an express menu so crews aren't cleaning up until midnight.

The CONO departing Chicago offers an express menu because there is only one crew member assigned to working this diner.

Ah ok. Well we are boarding the SW Chief in Fort Madison. It is about an hour before dinner service. My husband was just a little upset about the prospect of the express menu because it eliminates the steak.

Just had the express menu on the chief departing Los Angeles last week.

Ah ok. Well we are boarding the SW Chief in Fort Madison. It is about an hour before dinner service. My husband was just a little upset about the prospect of the express menu because it eliminates the steak.
Normally, the express menu is used at the terminal ends of the route...in the case of the SWC that would be Los Angeles and Chicago and only when normal meal time is close to arrival/departure time. An express menu will not be used at Fort Madision. The concern would be if the train is very late and arrives well after meal time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back