Memphis trip logisitcs ?? CONO #58/59

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MStrain

Service Attendant
Ok gang....here's the deal: I am the 'adventurer' of my group of friends :blink: ....so I try out my hairbrained ideas, and if I come back alive then the whole group goes along the next time. I have found out that the City of New Orleans #58 leaves Jackson everyday around 5:45 PM and drops off in Memphis around 10PM. My plan is to take this train up, get off and play on Beale St until the wee hours of the morning, grab a bacon sandwich and a cup of coffee...get back on the southbound CONO #59 at 6:50AM and be home by 11:30AM back in Jackson. Yes...its crazy....but sounds fun to people in their 20's.

Ok...my question is this: I know the mainline and riverfront trolleys run to and from the station until around 1AM, so getting to Beale from Central station is no problem. Its the return trip around 5:45AM or 6AM that I need help figuring out. Do trolleys run that early? Cabs? Buses?

MStrain :p

Looking at http://www.matatransit.com

It looks like Beale is just 4 blocks from Central Station, but if you prefer to ride...

Their trolley brochure lists an opening time of 6am on weekdays, but 930am-10am on weekends.

Bus-wise, there is the 12 and 13, both of which run nice and early on weekdays, and there is a #13 line trip on Saturday mornings that is due to arrive at Central at 644am, a little tight for the CONO. Sundays, no service early enough to make the connection by bus.

Sorry, but I'm not a local, so I wouldn't know about cabs.

Enjoy though! It's fun to use the train for a little adventure!

Many thanks for the info. We could definitely walk the 4 blocks......its just that certain parts of Memphis are not the greatest areas to be walking. Thanks about the bus info......

MStrain

I don't know about now, but just a few years back, a late night walk between Central Station and Beale Street would be a good way to be made to dissapear and never be seen again.
I agree with George...........if you walk you may very well not arrive in one piece. That is not a good neighborhood at that time of the morning, in fact someone once said that nothing good happens after 2 am.

Take a cab. There are plenty of them on Beale Street taking care of people just like you....having a good time and wanting to get where you want to go safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back