Meeting someone who is arriving at Penn Station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AutoTrDvr said:
1342798292[/url]' post='381527']
Texas Sunset said:
1342796984[/url]' post='381516']
AutoTrDvr said:
1342792653[/url]' post='381506']For NJ Transit and Amtrak, track numbers for originating/arriving trains are usually not posted/announced until 10 minutes prior to departure/arrival.
In addition to the lack of a quality map this brief last-minute information window is a critical flaw in how what's left of New York's Penn Station is run today, at least from the perspective of uninitiated passengers departing NYP. I've never felt as iffy about missing my next train as I was at NYP, and that includes train trips in countries that don't speak English. Kind of absurd in my view, but I guess being ugly and confusing is just part of the "charm" of NYP to some folks. :lol:
Actually, I don't recall "arriving" tracks ever being posted. They may be "announced" on occasion by the station announcer, but I think the few "thru" trains (NEC/Acela) are posted as "departures." And all NJ Transit trains are "departures." Yeah, the 10 minute thing was uggggggly, especially during rush hours. As soon as the track appeared on the monitors, you'd see this swarm toward the stairwells.I learned to figure out where the NJ Transit trains were being staged, simply by visiting each platform and checking the train in advance. Most were staged on tracks 1-4. Sometimes track 13. On odd occasions, they mingled with the Amtrak trains on 5-11. You go down the stairwell, and you look for the electronic sign on the train, that indicated the route. If you find your train, you stand in front of the doors until they open, usually before the track is posted/announced. I think I got to within 80% accuracy/success with this method. Every now and then, they'd skunk you by putting that one train on track 13 when you were waiting near 1-4. :angry:

It's funny. I do pass through NYP at least twice a year now, and more often on Christmas Day. I see all the "newbies" and tourists struggling to get through their experience. It's nice to "pay it forward" and help them out. I once had a guy ask me (at 6pm on Christmas Day), "Why don't they have seats in the mezzanine?" :lol: :wacko: :lol: :giggle: :lol:
In the Amtrak waiting area, there are monitors that show arrivals on the top monitor and departures on the lower monitor. If a train from BOS to WAS arrives on track 13, it's very likely that the same train will depart to WAS on track 13!
laugh.gif
I'm usually standing at the gate for 5-15 minutes - or even down the escalator - when people are still looking at the board to wait for the gate to be shown! A little trick that I taught myself!
biggrin.gif

In the Amtrak waiting area, there are monitors that show arrivals on the top monitor and departures on the lower monitor. If a train from BOS to WAS arrives on track 13, it's very likely that the same train will depart to WAS on track 13!
laugh.gif
I'm usually standing at the gate for 5-15 minutes - or even down the escalator - when people are still looking at the board to wait for the gate to be shown! A little trick that I taught myself!
biggrin.gif
OK, fair enough. I was more of a "mezzanine" person m'self. :) Usually due to my coming right off the NYC Subway "A" train. I assume the Amtrak "arrival" monitors did not post NJT arrivals as well. I only recall the mezz. monitors to be "departure" oriented.

As far as I know there is no arrival monitor for LIRR, the only way to "pre-empt" is to either rely on past experience, special equipment (DM trains), or wait for the arriving train to dump its passengers if the run you're looking for turns in the station.

Heck, many times the LIRR calls tracks during the rush hour 5-6 minutes before the train arrives.

The best way is if you both have cell phones, just call each other. One person says "Marco." The other says "Polo" until you find each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back