Medical Emergency on the California Zephyr 6/10

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent

Conductor
Yesterday, June 10, Amtrak #6(08) made a stop for a medial emergency in Agency, Iowa. A passenger had a heart attack, so the California Zephyr met an ambulance at the Alpine Road railroad crossing. I don't know what happened to the passenger after they were taken form the train. I do hope they made it.

Did you know if there were any medical persons traveling on the CZ that could render immediate assistance?

Why should we discuss someone else's medical issues? Citing a specific train at a specific station on a specific day provides a lot of information. We should respect their privacy. People are more important than trains.

On Board Service Personal are trained to do CPR, the train itself has a Defib on board.

Sudden death heart attacks are simple and easy to do. No need for MD's before the patient get to the hospital. Paramedic and ambulance yes, but not a MD.

We all hope the patient has survived.

Why should we discuss someone else's medical issues? Citing a specific train at a specific station on a specific day provides a lot of information. We should respect their privacy. People are more important than trains.
My question was not related to the person, but rather to the availability onboard of medical equipment (and perhaps staff or passengers onboard with the knowledge to use it). It is my understanding that most (all?) commercial aircraft in the USA carry defibrillators and staff trained to use it. So I am wondering if the same is true of Amtrak.

I know this is also the case for excursion trains -- like the recent ones with steam locomotive 765 on Horseshoe Curve. I personally know one of the MDs who "worked" that train with equipment available to handle medical emergencies.

Threads like this are helpful for those who may be wondering what to expect if they have a medical emergency. If someone has heart issues, reading this thread could help set them at ease, knowing the crew is trained to help with life support assistance until the ambulance arrives.

On Board Service Personal are trained to do CPR, the train itself has a Defib on board.
Sudden death heart attacks are simple and easy to do. No need for MD's before the patient get to the hospital. Paramedic and ambulance yes, but not a MD.

I'm an EMT. It depends on what level EMT is. Only paramedics, ME (medical examiner), and MD can declare patient deceased. On any other levels, they'll have to continue giving CPR until at the ER room unless in dangerous situations or long deceased.

My question was not related to the person, but rather to the availability onboard of medical equipment (and perhaps staff or passengers onboard with the knowledge to use it). It is my understanding that most (all?) commercial aircraft in the USA carry defibrillators and staff trained to use it. So I am wondering if the same is true of Amtrak.

I know this is also the case for excursion trains -- like the recent ones with steam locomotive 765 on Horseshoe Curve. I personally know one of the MDs who "worked" that train with equipment available to handle medical emergencies.
Your issue can be asked without stating the precise day-time-location of the incident. Most people are not malicious with information, however, some are, therefore, the prudent course of action is to not provide potentially personal details that are not needed to discuss your very valid issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on the Texas Eagle once when the train was stopped in Arlington between Dallas and Fort Worth to take a passenger off for a medical emergency. I don't know what the emergency was but since it's only about a half hour trip between stations it must have come up suddenly and been very serious. I made a video of the ambulance arriving and the EMT's getting on the train but out of respect I did not video the patient being taken off the train.

Your issue can be asked without stating the precise day-time-location of the incident. Most people are not malicious with information, however, some are, therefore, the prudent course of action is to not provide potentially personal details that are not needed to discuss your very valid issue.
What malicious intent could be served by finding out if the poor guy made it or not?

Why.

Please don't try.

No need too.

Leave it alone.

I would hate to deal with everyone who saw one of my calls, have them call me and ask "what was the outcome?".

Some die, some don't, I don't care.

I do not need to revisit ever single call that I rolled on, multiply times. Trust me they are all still there. The good, the bad, the sad, the painful ones.

Nurse, Paramedic, Combat Medic.

Just leave it alone. You would not understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read it as basic concern for another human, not that the OP would actually seek out the EMT or paramedic and ask (and it's not like they can provide that info under HIPAA anyway).

I read it as basic concern for another human, not that the OP would actually seek out the EMT or paramedic and ask (and it's not like they can provide that info under HIPAA anyway).
Me too.

Yesterday, June 10, Amtrak #6(08) made a stop for a medial emergency in Agency, Iowa. A passenger had a heart attack, so the California Zephyr met an ambulance at the Alpine Road railroad crossing. I don't know what happened to the passenger after they were taken form the train. I do hope they made it.
I don't see what is controversial about this post. From the info given, there is no way to know where the passenger boarded or his or her destination, much less his or her home location or any other personal details, not even the gender. I'm almost paranoid about internet security and giving out personal data, but I don't see any danger or confidentiality breach in this post. I only see it as expressing concern about the passenger's well-being.

I'm an EMT. It depends on what level EMT is. Only paramedics, ME (medical examiner), and MD can declare patient deceased. On any other levels, they'll have to continue giving CPR until at the ER room unless in dangerous situations or long deceased.
That depends on the state and/or local jurisdiction. I am an EMT and a Company Officer in the State of California as well, and if you're doing CPR for an extended period of time with an AED connected and not recommending shock (basically the patient has an asystole heart rhythm, AKA flatline) then the choice to discontinue CPR and declare death is very acceptable. This is not counting any obvious signs of death, such as massive trauma or other factors like rigor mortis, where even a First Responder is capable of declaring death. As the leading medical provider at the scene, you just take responsibility for the legal risk for calling someone dead. As such, most opt for a higher medical authority (like a Paramedic with Advanced Life Support and heart rate monitors with manual defibrillation) to take that legal brunt and wash their hands of the risk instead.

Anyhow, when I am traveling overnight on Amtrak I always identify myself as an EMT and fireman with the crew. I've never been called for my services, but you can always see the relief in the faces of the OBS when they know. I long ago took to heart that even when I'm "Off-Duty" and on vacation that I'm never completely off the job. Much like a Marine: once a firefighter, always a firefighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back