Mean Staff

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kiya

I'm a first time train rider and I coulnt get my bag on the shelf overhead so i put it under my feet. Instead of asking me nicely to put my bag on the shelf the Woman yelled at me and demanded loudly that I out my bag on the shelf. And then she screamed at my friend and I for talking instead of just pointing out that we were on a quiet car??? The sign saying it was a quiet car was 5x7 and all the way in the front of the car that we were in. We didn't even know that there was such a thing. A heads up before we got on or a label on the outside of the train would have been helpful. I had such a great weekend in New York and a miserable, verbally abusive train ride back. Amtrak needs to hire people who are friendly and helpful, not ones scream at their first-time train riders and make them feel embarrassed.

I'm a first time train rider and I coulnt get my bag on the shelf overhead so i put it under my feet. Instead of asking me nicely to put my bag on the shelf the Woman yelled at me and demanded loudly that I out my bag on the shelf. And then she screamed at my friend and I for talking instead of just pointing out that we were on a quiet car??? The sign saying it was a quiet car was 5x7 and all the way in the front of the car that we were in. We didn't even know that there was such a thing. A heads up before we got on or a label on the outside of the train would have been helpful. I had such a great weekend in New York and a miserable, verbally abusive train ride back. Amtrak needs to hire people who are friendly and helpful, not ones scream at their first-time train riders and make them feel embarrassed.
Please call Amtrak, ask for customer relations, and voice these complaints. More people need to keep doing this if we expect things to improve...

Sorry it was not a good experience. Many are very good, even great and wonderful.

. A heads up before we got on or a label on the outside of the train would have been helpful.
Cough looks l like the OP has a point .

a 2 dollar kinkos lamnated copy with some tape would suffuice . And this whole mess might have been avoided .

Lets see the OP teling her frinds to never ride amtrak........... -loss 100s of dollars . post a cardboard sign 2 bucks . :help:

It's the small stuff like this that is totally avoidable that DOES make amtrak look bad ....... Uncle Pete and his rails are not fixable .

signs are !

I would hazard a bet that If amtrak would assume ever one is a new rider and plan as such then these tussles are avoidable .

Let me give a example .. On any flight you are to HOW to bulk a belt , HOW to use a O2 mask and to not smoke ..

some outta towners might not know about the smoking issue . but cause they annouce it then i bet many dont try ! .

and considering that the whole east seaboard is where MANY tourisits come form over the pond ,,, it would be diligent to make more effort here to outsiders . . this stuff makes them look bad to the world .

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
I always had a pet peave with the quiet cars. When I was on last year, it was so packed and they heard you on the train like cattle. I take the first seat I could get to as the train started to move. Wouldn't you know I sat in the quiet car and I had to make a phone call? I think if Amtrak wants to run a quiet car, they need to make that a different level of accomodation, and when it pulls into the station, they need to announce that car #_ is the quiet car, similar to what they do with bussiness or first class accomodations.

As far as the bag, I don't see that as being an issue.

The quiet cars are always announced on the trains that I am on - acela and NERs - and there are also signs that hang from the ceiling indicating it as such. It is generally pretty freaking obvious.

Here's a secret,
ph34r.gif

On a NEC Regîonal, the first car is BC. The second car is the Quiet car!

yeah, the OP has a great point. I have been a fan of Amtrak for a number of years but the last two train trips have caused me to reconsider my support . ON each trip,I've met employees who have been surly , authoritarian and rude From what I have seen the employees on most local commuter service in the NorthEast are much more self disciplined, professional & competent. Amtrak definitely has a problem with customer service, and it is getting worse

Amtrak better realize that folks have other ways of spending their time & money. And other ways of spending our tax dollars as well.

The sign saying it was a quiet car was 5x7 and all the way in the front of the car that we were in. We didn't even know that there was such a thing.
So, you knew there was a sign, and what is said, but chose to ignore it? :eek:hboy:

Being that everyone else was being quiet, you didn't grasp the connection?

Yea, though that fellow passenger might have handled it a bit better. Not all "newbees" know the rules, or even care to familiarize themselves with them before hand. Possibly, had you read this webpage (and some others) before your first trip, it would been better.

Someone who is a first time train rider trying to get from point A to point B probably isn't going to search the Amtrak website of how to ride a train. Cut him some slack.

When the OP boarded the train and his ticket was collected or when the train pulled out of the station the conductor should have made an announcement about the quiet car. As also stated, Amtrak could be proactive and place a sign on the outside of the coach or on the window of the doors at each end of the coach.

Riding the train should be fun and I don't think we should chastise a first-time train rider for doing so.

You guys need to understand that the nec can be a busy, sensory overload situation. A first time rider is going to feel lucky that they got on the right train. They are not going to be aware of a small sign. They might not hear the announcements about quiet car, and theyight not understand what last car, first car, 2nc car means. My girl friend would not even the difference between engines and cars. So you are asking a lot of most people.

We love riding trains, and we pick all of the details to ensure that we have pleasant rides. Most of us know about and work around the idiosyncratic power Hungary employees.

On a recent trip on 22 from stl my gf was not understanding of my efforts to avoid a run in with the conductor. We walked down to the train and then realized that the conductor was planning to lift tickets in the station. We left are luggage in the sleeper, but the attendant was new and reluctant to cross the conductor. So we went back to the station, got the tickets lifted, waited 5 minutes and then were allowed to board. We got to our room which still was not made up. Gf just wanted to get to sleep. She was not happy. I managed to get clean pillow cases from the attendant. And set up the lower seats do she could sleep. She remarked that the whole thing was disorganized. Though I was pleased at avoiding a confrontation with the conductor I could see her point. From the boarding process to the sca's lack of organization she had another poor experience with Amtrak.

On a recent trip on 22 from stl my gf was not understanding of my efforts to avoid a run in with the conductor.
I agree with your girlfriend. There's no way on God's green earth that I would leave my sleeper compartment and re-enter the station just on the off-chance I might irritate a conductor by inconveniencing him over lifting a ticket.

WRT to the OP, I wouldn't blame "the Woman," whoever she might be, for shouting. I'd blame the masses of entitled cellphone users, bleating inanities at high volume, for her aggressiveness. The price of silence is constance vigilance.

I think people should be more forgiving of new riders, there's a lot of nuance in trains, and I say this as a relatively new rider myself. Missing a quiet car sign or not realizing that you can't keep bags at your feet (like on a plane) isn't a huge deal.

The first time I took a train arriving around midnight, I didn't realize there weren't any train announcements at night, even though that information is probably on the website. Luckily, I knew where I was and the attendant was good about making sure everyone got off at the right stop. Had I been waiting for an announcement and not been told by an attendant, I could have missed my stop.

The first time I rode a sleeper, I didn't realize that alcohol wasn't included in the free meals, even though it does say it in fine print on the back of the menu. The whole dining car experience overwhelmed me and I just didn't notice that detail. Had the waiter or sleeper car attendant told me, it would have saved me some frustration and embarrassment when the bill came after the meal.

If employees assume people are new, they can avoid a lot of situations that would turn off new riders from riding again.

The quiet cars are always announced on the trains that I am on - acela and NERs - and there are also signs that hang from the ceiling indicating it as such. It is generally pretty freaking obvious.
Agreed... It's usually very obvious. Now I'm certainly willing to believe that this particular train did not have as many signs up, that could happen, but every quiet car I've ever been in has had multiple signs clearly visible. Even the OP admits there was a sign.

I agree that Amtrak staff should be courteous but I wonder if this Conductor was actually "yelling" or was simply speaking in an authorative tone. I've seen Conductors and LSA's get blamed for enforcing the rules. Let's face it.. Americans can't stand being told what they can and can't do and if someone tells them they can't put their luggage on the floor then they are being rude and mean. I'm just playing Conductor's Advocate here... I've seen plenty of downright rude Conductors on Amtrak but I've also seen nice staff being blamed for rudeness for enforcing the rules.

The fact that you've seen rude employees says enough. There is a polite way to enforce rules and a mean way. Simply stating, " I'm sorry but you can't have that bag there. Can I put it in the rack for you?" would have sufficed. The mean way of enforcing rules need not come unless polite request is ignored.

Someone who is a first time train rider trying to get from point A to point B probably isn't going to search the Amtrak website of how to ride a train. Cut him some slack.
The OP clearly knows how and when to search the internet, and does it when it suits them. That's how they found these forums
Knowing to use the internet does not mean one is going to use the internet to read something that they did not even know needs to be read. I know to use the internet freaking well but that does not mean everytime I am going to board a train or a bus I am going to that transit authority's website to read "How to ride a bus" stuff. I trust I have active and working common sense. When I need to take a train or bus I know I have to go to the stop purchase ticket and ride the thing, I don't go to the website to read "Step 1: Go to the station. Step 2: Buy a ticket. Step 3: Wait for the train and board it."

If Amtrak has its own set of not-so-obvious rules (such as Quiet Car), it is the responsibility of the employee to explain it to the passengers courteously. When you go on a plane, don't the flight attendants explain how to use a seat belt, how to reach the emergency exits etc? Do you tell them "Hey this information is available on the internet so shut up now, people should have read it and come"?

I also think the reason so many people dealing with the public (or the GenPop, as one person I know who works retail calls us) are rude, is that people are rude right back to them. People don't listen. They don't pay attention to directions. I have seen this many times. Or, they think they're "special" and that the rules should not apply to them.

So when someone who genuinely DOESN'T know violates the rules, the person in charge assumes they're willfully violating them and snarls at them.

I will say I've had a few instances of getting someone to be more polite to me by being polite first to them - "Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't know, I'll take care of it right away." But yes, when you're travelling and you're tired and maybe a little overwrought (I remember an incident when I was traveling unexpectedly because of a family member with a medical emergency), sometimes it really does get to you to have someone be rude.

I was once on the TE at dinner with a man and his tween daughter when they made one of the endless announcements about wearing shoes on the train. The girl kind of rolled her eyes and said, "They say that ALL THE TIME. Why do they say it so much?" and I kind of sighed and said, "Because some people don't listen." She and her dad laughed ruefully. But I think it's the truth - there are people who behave stupidly and it makes interactions harder for all the rest of us, even with simple junk like having to listen to the "keep your shoes on!" announcement every 10 minutes...

I also think the reason so many people dealing with the public (or the GenPop, as one person I know who works retail calls us) are rude, is that people are rude right back to them. People don't listen. They don't pay attention to directions. I have seen this many times. Or, they think they're "special" and that the rules should not apply to them.
I'm reminded of an old story about a wise man who sat on the side of the road between two cities.

A traveler came along one day and asked, "What is the city like where I am headed? How are the people there?"

The wise man said, "How were they were you came from?"

The traveler replied, "They are terrible, mean spirited, hard to get along with and that's why I'm leaving."

The wise man told him. "I'm afraid that's the way they are where you are going."

A while later a traveler from the other city came along and asked the wise man, "What is the city like where I am headed? How are the people there?"

The wiseman said, "How were they were you came from?"

The traveler said, "They are the nicest people I have ever know. They are friendly and everyone gets along very well."

The wise man said, "Well, that's the way it is in the city you are heading toward. I know you will like being there."

When you go on a plane, don't the flight attendants explain how to use a seat belt, how to reach the emergency exits etc? Do you tell them "Hey this information is available on the internet so shut up now, people should have read it and come"?
Gee, did you have to bring idea that up? Didn't you know that airlines are always looking for ways to cut out something? Now, thanks to you, thousands of airline customers could die because they didn't read the online information since they had to shut off their electronics for takeoff.

"For those of you who failed to read instructions on the internet before boarding as required by our conditions of carriage, Delta Airlines is proud to offer a complementary oxygen supply and emergency instruction kits for our valued SkyTeam® passengers and for you lowlife steerage weasels, we will make paper copies of the instructions for $7.50 so you have something to read while turning blue ."

Amtrak needs to hire people who are friendly and helpful, not ones scream at their first-time train riders and make them feel embarrassed.
Please call Amtrak, ask for customer relations, and voice these complaints. More people need to keep doing this if we expect things to improve... Sorry it was not a good experience. Many are very good, even great and wonderful.
I agree with Maine Rider. It's true that a phone call can't exactly undo the damage that has already been done, but hopefully it can help cut down on any intentionally rude or abusive attacks in the future.

The sign saying it was a quiet car was 5x7 and all the way in the front of the car that we were in. We didn't even know that there was such a thing.
So, you knew there was a sign, and what is said, but chose to ignore it?
I'm guessing they saw it as they left. But I suppose that's not nearly as fun and making up some story about intentionally ignoring the sign just to make things worse for absolutely everyone. Maybe you always travel alone and thus never have to worry about having anyone to talk to. See how easy it is to just make stuff up for the heck of it? Too bad it doesn't actually accomplish anything.

I'm reminded of an old story about a wise man who sat on the side of the road between two cities.

A traveler came along one day and asked, "What is the city like where I am headed? How are the people there?"

The wise man said, "How were they were you came from?"

The traveler replied, "They are terrible, mean spirited, hard to get along with and that's why I'm leaving."

The wise man told him. "I'm afraid that's the way they are where you are going."

A while later a traveler from the other city came along and asked the wise man, "What is the city like where I am headed? How are the people there?"

The wiseman said, "How were they were you came from?"

The traveler said, "They are the nicest people I have ever know. They are friendly and everyone gets along very well."

The wise man said, "Well, that's the way it is in the city you are heading toward. I know you will like being there."
I like this very much.

There needs to be training in how to handle customers with some polish. A lot of Amtrak employees come from humble beginings and it really shows sometimes. I took the Crescent the other day and simple manner in which the wait staff spoke reminded me of ordering at the Varsity in Atlanta. I love the Varsity, but I don't pay a premium to eat there like I do to ride in a sleeper. When I fly, every flight attendant I have ever encounterd has been able to speak with a decent command of the english language, but on the Crescent it seems like they all struggle with this.

There needs to be training in how to handle customers with some polish. A lot of Amtrak employees come from humble beginings and it really shows sometimes. I took the Crescent the other day and simple manner in which the wait staff spoke reminded me of ordering at the Varsity in Atlanta. I love the Varsity, but I don't pay a premium to eat there like I do to ride in a sleeper. When I fly, every flight attendant I have ever encounterd has been able to speak with a decent command of the english language, but on the Crescent it seems like they all struggle with this.
Are you suggesting that the staff could not speak English clearly? And are you suggesting that they can't speak clearly do to "humble" beginnings? The Crescent diner is staffed out of NYC and has always been one of my favorites and I've never ever had a problem understanding any Amtrak employee.

By the way.. there are lots and lots of people who do not speak English as a first language who came from anything but humble beginnings. Sorry if i read your post wrong but it seemed a bit offensive to me both to Amtrak employees and humanity in general. ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back